PDA

View Full Version : Reef Glue

Madreefer
07-17-2013, 02:43 AM
I know people use CrazyGlue brand glue to glue frags to plugs. This may be a silly question, but is other brands of glue just the same? I grabbed a brand called Adhaer Thick Gel Super Glue from the DollarStore. Anybody use this?

Static
07-17-2013, 02:48 AM
Any Cyanoacrylate glue should work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

From the Wikipedia article:

"Cyanoacrylate glue's ability to resist water has made it popular with marine aquarium hobbyists for fragging corals. The cut branches of hard corals such as Acropora can be glued to a piece of live rock (harvested reef coral) or Milliput (epoxy putty) to allow the new frag to grow out. It is actually safe to use directly in the tank, unlike silicone, which must be cured to be safe. However, as a class of adhesives, traditional cyanoacrylates are classified as having "weak" resistance to both moisture and heat[5] although the inclusion of phthalic anhydride reportedly counteracts both of these characteristics.[6]"

xtreme
07-17-2013, 02:49 AM
I've used at least 50 tubes of that stuff from the dollar store. Never an issue, works quite well.

spit.fire
07-17-2013, 02:50 AM
I use ecotech glue, I found a bottle goes way further

ScubaSteve
07-17-2013, 02:52 AM
Any cyanoacrylate glue will work fine. The glue hardens because the basic conditions of your tank catalyze the curing of the monomer. Cyanoacrylates (depending on formulation) are safe to be in contact with water and don't leach chemicals.

Personally I use Loctite brand gel super glue (mostly because we use it for production of our product and I get it by the case load).

Madreefer
07-17-2013, 03:24 AM
Awesome! Thanks guys for the quick helpful responses