PDA

View Full Version : What is the BEST coral food out there?

SleepyPirate
07-15-2013, 02:14 AM
Currently using DT's Phytoplankton which is quite expensive. What is the best food out there to feed your corals, I mostly have Zoas and a very large candy cane coral. Also wondering what is the best food for your fish I use frozen brine shrimp.

michaelis88
07-15-2013, 02:23 AM
I use oyster feast ( oyster egg from JL) and also powder food, mixed and spot feeding once or twice a week.
For larger lps, I use frozen shrimp but sometimes they have cause lots of phosphate.

mrhasan
07-15-2013, 02:27 AM
Currently using DT's Phytoplankton which is quite expensive. What is the best food out there to feed your corals, I mostly have Zoas and a very large candy cane coral. Also wondering what is the best food for your fish I use frozen brine shrimp.

Not really sure about the "best" coral food but reef chilli from BRS has great reputation.

And brine shrimps are like potato chips for fishes. They love it but not good as a regular diet.

Acrowhora
07-15-2013, 02:44 AM
I feed mine with coral vitalizer,sponge power,marine show,phyto/zoo plankton,oyster feast.

Myka
07-15-2013, 02:50 AM
Corals don't eat phytoplankton. The purpose of phytoplankton is to feed zooplankton (pods, live mysids, etc) to help increase population.

I like to mix Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast and frozen Cyclopeeze (the freeze-dried stuff is useless imo) which I add as a slurry to both my Zoa/LPS tank and my SPS tank. I also target feed some LPS with Fauna Marin LPS Pellets. Anytime I feed the corals I turn all the pumps off for an hour while everyone eats. I used to never feed my coral (fish poop usually works just fine), but I have been feeding the corals 1-2 times per week for the last few months looking for better growth from my Zoas and darker coloration from SPS corals. Oh, I also add 3 mL Zeovit Pohl's Xtra to my SPS tank (90 gallons) once per week, 0.75 mL Zeovit LPS Amino Acids to my LPS tank (50 gallons) once per week, and both tanks get a dose of Zeovit Coral Snow once per week too but that's not really food.

For the fish, I make my own homemade food from human-grade seafood. I also feed some HBH Spirulina pellets and on occasion PE Mysis and/or Spirulina Brine Shrimp.

neoh
07-15-2013, 07:51 AM
I feed my zoo's bacon, my lps steak and the sps, lobster.

:drum:

But really. I use mysis for the big LPS, reef roids for the sifters, and phyto for everything else. 3X a week.

Bblinks
07-15-2013, 04:41 PM
fish poop is pretty good imo

kien
07-15-2013, 05:07 PM
fish poop is pretty good imo

+1. This is the only thing that I've ever fed my corals. Plus it's free! Sort of..

Aquattro
07-15-2013, 05:19 PM
+1. This is the only thing that I've ever fed my corals. Plus it's free! Sort of..

Agreed.

Snailpuffer
07-16-2013, 08:02 AM
Reef Rods is good... 4 babie ACAN heads popped out after a couple weeks of reef rods... but I do feed chopped clams...

JmeJReefer
07-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Reef roids! New life spectrum pellets for my lps n zoas.