PDA

View Full Version : phosphate removal media...school me

Graham_f
07-12-2013, 04:30 AM
hey, I'm looking to reduce my Phosphates a little more. I'm prob overfeeding but everything is so happy, i don't really want to mess with it.

i'll be picking up a phosban 150 reactor but i'm a little lost when it comes to media. I've read some conflicting information online and i'd rater work off personal experience.

What do you recommend? Any good or bad experience and tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Graham

wreck
07-12-2013, 04:57 AM
I was just about to order a gfo reactor but thought I should research more aswell. Interested to see what people say

gregzz4
07-12-2013, 04:58 AM
I use Hi-Cap (high capacity) GFO, aka HC GFO, in a TLF reactor

Whatever media and application/usage you decide on ...
Since you're just going to introduce this method, start small so you don't cause big issues in your tank with rapid removal of PO4
Start with say 25% of the recommended usage for the first couple weeks or month, then go up to 50% etc

If you use the recommended amount right off you will upset your corals and you'll not be happy with the results :surprise:

Acrowhora
07-12-2013, 04:58 AM
I'm currently using BRS GFO HC to lower my P04 and keeping it at zero inconjuction with Probio Biodigest and Bioptim.you can also use Rowaphos but use a small amount at a time,as you do not want to shock your inhabitants.

wreck
07-12-2013, 05:06 AM
How often do u guys change the media?

Acrowhora
07-12-2013, 05:07 AM
i change mine every 30 daysHow often do u guys change the media?

gregzz4
07-12-2013, 05:18 AM
i change mine every 30 days
I do the same
My Carbon and GFO are on a 2 weeks-apart schedule so I get a break, and I don't change either close to each other

BRS has a calculator (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator) you might find useful

TimT
07-12-2013, 05:23 AM
Hi,

If you haven't bought a reactor yet your best bet is to use Foz Down. It will easily remove the phosphates and save you a ton of money from GFO and hassle with the reactor. I use it here in my coral grow out system and a lot of my customers use it in their fish and coral holding systems in their stores. It is a safe and easy to use product.

Cheers,
Tim

ps I do produce the Foz Down.

Acrowhora
07-12-2013, 05:26 AM
also a good recommendation +1Hi,

If you haven't bought a reactor yet your best bet is to use Foz Down. It will easily remove the phosphates and save you a ton of money from GFO and hassle with the reactor. I use it here in my coral grow out system and a lot of my customers use it in their fish and coral holding systems in their stores. It is a safe and easy to use product.

Cheers,
Tim

ps I do produce the Foz Down.

hfp75
07-12-2013, 05:55 AM
I am currently using a phosban 150 for carbon and rowaphos combined.....

I am going to be only running carbon starting next month to see if I can increase my phosphates a bit. I have chaeto and barely grows... My po4 is 0, if I can increase my po4 a bit then my chaeto will grow and consume the po4 and some no3. I am also going to try growing Xenia as a nutrient export!!! It grows faster than algae.

So... Depending on how high or if you want some po4 at all should deturnine what your gonna do.

Acrowhora
07-12-2013, 05:58 AM
I've seen a video on youtube about a guy using xenia to export excess nutrients,and it seems to work...I am currently using a phosban 150 for carbon and rowaphos combined.....

I am going to be only running carbon starting next month to see if I can increase my phosphates a bit. I have chaeto and barely grows... My po4 is 0, if I can increase my po4 a bit then my chaeto will grow and consume the po4 and some no3. I am also going to try growing Xenia as a nutrient export!!! It grows faster than algae.

So... Depending on how high or if you want some po4 at all should deturnine what your gonna do.

Wheelman76
07-12-2013, 06:45 AM
I do the same
My Carbon and GFO are on a 2 weeks-apart schedule so I get a break, and I don't change either close to each other

BRS has a calculator (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator) you might find useful

Same schedule here

Reef Pilot
07-12-2013, 01:38 PM
I recently had one tank with very high phosphates (1.0+), and needed to bring it down, so I could combine it with my other tank (zero phosphates) into a single sump. I was using GFO, but it was too slow.

I then got some Foz Down from Tim, and was able to bring it down in a controlled fashion over 3 weeks, so I didn't shock my system too much. It worked, and I was able to combine my tanks without upsetting my other (SPS) tank. I still have to supplement some Foz Down once in a while, as my GFO alone still can't maintain zero phosphates with the combined tanks. I guess there is still some leaching happening.

But Foz Down certainly worked for me, so I can definitely recommend it.

kien
07-12-2013, 10:50 PM
I'm currently using BRS GFO HC to lower my P04 and keeping it at zero inconjuction with Probio Biodigest and Bioptim.you can also use Rowaphos but use a small amount at a time,as you do not want to shock your inhabitants.

Interesting, I recently read that Prodibio was supposed to eliminate the need for GFO ? Doesn't prodibio alone strip phosphates without the need for GFO?

Anyway.. I run a TLF with HC GFO as well. I used to use Rowaphos but it was a royal pain in the arse to rinse before each use. HC GFO (from BRS) rinses clean in half the time (probably less) that it took to rinse Rowaphos. If you're going to run GFO in a reactor do yourself a favour and use HC GFO from BRS :biggrin:

Graham_f
07-12-2013, 10:59 PM
ha, one day and so much advice.
I picked up a phosban reactor and some gfo after work today and i'll get that system up and running tonight. I plan on taking it slow, dont want to shock anything since the coral are all doing pretty good right now. Just a little excess algee.

i'll look into that hc gfo for later, but until then i'll just give the normal stuff a little extra time to work.

this forum is great :)

Acrowhora
07-12-2013, 11:26 PM
It's only been a month and a half since i started dosing Biodigest and bioptim.after 30 days i checked for P04 it was still readable(hanna checker)so,i started using BRS GFO again,keeps the P04 in checked.Interesting, I recently read that Prodibio was supposed to eliminate the need for GFO ? Doesn't prodibio alone strip phosphates without the need for GFO?

Anyway.. I run a TLF with HC GFO as well. I used to use Rowaphos but it was a royal pain in the arse to rinse before each use. HC GFO (from BRS) rinses clean in half the time (probably less) that it took to rinse Rowaphos. If you're going to run GFO in a reactor do yourself a favour and use HC GFO from BRS :biggrin:

RuGlu6
07-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Nitra-Guard BIO-Cubes will do both nitrates and phosphates.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/plb-ng0250/Nitra-Guard+BIO-Cubes+%28250ml%29.html
No feeding no stirring. And you can use it in the Phosban reactor or any area with high flow.

from J&L's web page

BIO-Cubes are made from 100% biologically degradable polymers that effectively remove both nitrates and phosphates from both marine and freshwater systems. BIO-Cubes have a very high surface area and contains 400% more carbohydrates than any other brand, making it the best product of it�s kind in the world. Independent testing in real world scenarios, have proven BIO-Cubes to far outperform all other competing products. No other product of it�s kind can compare with the explosive performance that BIO-Cubes can offer. BIO-Cubes are very versatile and can be used in filter bags and fluidized reactors. BIO-Cubes require no maintenance and require no feeding dosages making it the easiest and most convenient nitrate and phosphate removing product on the market. Nitra-Guard BIO-Cubes comes with a free filter bag with every jar.

Bacteria consume the high carbohydrate source found in the BIO-Cubes and form a biomass that absorbs nitrates and phosphates from the water in the aquarium. This biomass is then skimmed out with a protein skimmer or is consumed as a food source by corals and clams.

When culturing bacteria, two of the most important factors that will determine the size of the colony are surface area and food source. BIO-Cubes look like small open celled sponges giving the product a massive surface area. BIO-Cubes also has 400% more biologically available, insoluble polymer carbohydrates than any other product in the world. These 2 factors create conditions that are perfect for culturing and sustaining large bacteria colonies required to effectively remove phosphate and nitrate from aquariums. It is these 2 factors that have made Nitra-Guard BIO-Cubes the world�s best carbohydrate based nitrate removing media. Independent tests that were performed in real world scenarios revealed that BIO-Cubes had the ability to reduce nitrate levels from 60ppm to below 5ppm in 2 weeks while competing products claim to only start working after 2 weeks!

Features

The world's fastest and most effective carbohydrate based nitrate remover
More economical and effective than any other product of it's kind in the world... nothing can compare!
Reduces 50ppm Nitrate to 0ppm within 3 weeks in Freshwater and Seawater systems
Easy and convenient to use, no daily feedings or dosings, just add as directed and enjoy 4-12 months Nitrate free water!
100% natural, biological Nitrate removal
No effect on pH or alkalinity
MASSIVELY reduces water changes
250ml jar treats approximately 20-60 gallons