PDA

View Full Version : WTB Assorted nano stuff

DOO-E
06-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Well after a crash of my 40 gallon I decided to do a Nano. Here is the list of stuff i still need. Mainly live stuff
- 30 lbs of Cured FIJI rock
- 2 Ocellaris or percula CLownfish
- 2 yellownose gobies
- 2 neon gobies
- 1 cleaner shrimp
- 1 fluidized bed filter
- 1 150 gph pump or powerhead
- 2 100gph power heads
- 1 timer (to turn the powerheads on and off at different times)
- 1 sump
- refugium
- Frogspawn coral
- Assorted soft corals
- Assorted mushrooms
- assorted polyps
- Assorted Zoo's

mr_alberta
06-16-2004, 07:01 PM
You should check out Canadian Tire as they had some really cheap ($10) digital timers. You could get 1 for each powerhead and make your own wavemaker...

Quinn
06-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Maybe you should figure out why your 40 gallon crashed before you jump into a nano. :bad-word:

shotzee
06-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Ya, I agree because nano's are much more complicated to keep stable and establish. I have a 10 gallon nano, that only now after almost a year of fluctuations in my system, is finally becoming a more stable system that can actually handle what I want to grow and put it. There is no room for error in a nano, like there is in a larger tank. For instance, I just lost a yellow finger frag that I had in my sump becasue I was in a ruch to do a water change this week and quickly put in the new water into the sump (it was too cold and the salinity was a bit lower, because I wanted to lower the salinity of the system)

Rory

Chad
06-16-2004, 07:52 PM
DOO-E , you really seem to be rushing to conclusions and jumping around way too much.. you need to slow down. Be more patient and ask questions. Its not rocket science but if you do not take baby steps you'll end up with a lot of headaches and lost livestock.

Not to mention if you are going to set up a nano you shouldn't be throwing all that stuff into it that quickly.

just me 2 cents..

DOO-E
06-16-2004, 08:39 PM
Well I have a guy who will hold the corals for me. I was thinking a mainly coral tank but i would like a few fish. I just wanted to see what was out ther. I am just really frustrated. All of a sudden all my fish are sick and dying. I figure it will be cheaper if i do a smaller tank beacuse you need less stuff for it?

MitchM
06-16-2004, 08:47 PM
I agree with what's been said.
Nano's are harder to keep and maintain. The best set up has a lot of water and very little livestock which in turn requires little feeding...a lower relative bioload, so to speak.
Also make sure that you choose peaceful, hardy, preferably tank raised fish.
3 bangaii's in one tank is a sure recipe for stressed out fish.

Mitch

Quinn
06-16-2004, 08:54 PM
All of a sudden all my fish are sick and dying.

How long have you been in this hobby?

How much research did you do before you jumped in?

Maybe you should take a year to read and decide if this is really a hobby you're willing to devote such a great deal of time and resources to. Success in this hobby does rely partly on being in the proper social, psychological and financial state.

Chad
06-16-2004, 08:57 PM
but a smaller tank requires a lot more work. More water changes, more monitoring. I would stick with the 40GAL and figure out why your fish are dieing.

mr_alberta
06-16-2004, 09:10 PM
I agree. The larger the water volume, the more forgiving the tank is when you forget to do this or that or over dose something.

Also, since you already have all of that equipment from your 40, why not just use that instead of going out and buying all new equipment?

DEAD_BY_DAWN
06-16-2004, 09:35 PM
another canreef member in agreement on the other hand i found with a little work and not a ton of cash (were still talking over a grand)keeping a nano is fairly easy my bigget problem was diatoms on the sandbed,the only thing i do slightly different than other i know is i add nothing other than calcium and a 5g water change once per month thats its and eveything doing great.

Zerandise
06-16-2004, 10:01 PM
heh i read and planned for 4 years before i dove in and got my 55 gal. If anyone local is in need or reading stuff let me know. I have just about everything published on the net printed. Stacks of papers and books. I didnt want to jump in and drown.

Even tho i did all thew reading i was still cought off gaurd by a few things. even tho my tank has been running for months i still dont have fish in it.

sometimes it pays to be slow and methodical :robot:

DOO-E
06-16-2004, 10:47 PM
I have been plannign for about a year and a half. one year after my first saltwater tank. I am going to stay in the hobby but use different methods. I will probally allow the tank to "age" with the LR, LS and the refugium for around 3 months then i will add my clowns. After another 3 month "aging" period i think i will add a hammer. From there another 6 months and i will start buying corals. I am also brining in an extra quarintine tank for just incase.