PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Blue World Edmonton?

stellarfly
07-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Hey guys,

I was driving on calgary trail the other day and noticed that the sign for Blue World was not on display over the store. Did they close or relocate? Or am I making a mistake.

Oilers
07-11-2013, 02:37 PM
I think they are moving to a different location. They put up stuffs for sale a while back.

The Grizz
07-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Ken says he will be back up an running some time in Sept with a brand new location that is much better then the last one, so stay tuned.

stellarfly
07-14-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm glad to hear that Blue world is coming back! I would be so dissappointed if Edmonton lost a saltwater fish store

paddyob
07-14-2013, 04:35 PM
I talking to someone a couple days ago who knows ken.

Said no location found yet. Who knows.

reefwars
07-14-2013, 04:54 PM
I talking to someone a couple days ago who knows ken.

Said no location found yet. Who knows.

Seems weird to sell everything including stuff you would use at a new store I don't think they are moving but closed down

Proteus
07-14-2013, 05:23 PM
IMO. The fish store was just a hobby store as ken has a small trucking company he contracts to Sysco.

JmeJReefer
07-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Thought is was wierd too that u would sell off everything. Visited once and got an ghetto/substandard vibe outta of it. Didn't go back. Sad news for saltwater. Good news for remaining stores!

HaZRaTTy
07-14-2013, 06:55 PM
I heard a rumor that he wasn't re opening. I don't know though but I'm with Denny on this one weird when a store sells everything for A low price just to move? Looks like a going out of business sale in my opinion.

Proteus
07-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Not on vendor list anymore either. If I was reopening in a couple months I would want to keep my vendor status

On the same not IME he has built hype about alot of orders and never came through, so it wouldn't suprise me if the bigger better store hype is just that

The Grizz
07-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Rumors or just that rumors.......I talked to Ken personally and there are 2 locations that they are looking at relocating to. Just because there have been no posts about it means nothing, Ken is busy looking after his other company while his brother is on holidays & he is trying to take a bit of a break himself. Being a small business owner myself I know how hard it is to get time off. I am sure that When Ken can he will post something soon as it takes a lot to open fresh with new equipment some that has already been purchased and some that is in the works of being built, he has already mentioned that he will be needing my services as well so stay tuned Blue World V2 is coming.......

fishoholic
07-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Not on vendor list anymore either. If I was reopening in a couple months I would want to keep my vendor status

On the same not IME he has built hype about alot of orders and never came through, so it wouldn't suprise me if the bigger better store hype is just that

The vendor list doesn't surprise me its around a $100/per month or more (can't remember) to be a vendor on here. Needless to say why continue to pay when you know you're going to be shut down for a few months. Makes sense to renew the vendor status once you have the new store up and running.

I can also see selling off tanks as I'm sure it would be easier to use new tanks that are designed to fit into a new store set up. Also could see selling some equipment if you wanted to upgrade to better stuff with the new store. However what didn't make sense was selling off all liverock. IMO it would be worth it to store LR in a water bin with a heater and pump (to keep it live) then to incur the cost of buying all new live rock and waiting to cure the new live rock while trying to get a new store up and running.

I like Blue world but did notice that in the past year and a bit (other then for frag fest) there was almost never any new live stock in the store and the care of things seemed to be slipping a bit. It would be nice to see Ken reopen and be bigger and better but I admit I'm a bit skeptical, but hopeful.

Kevotron
07-14-2013, 11:40 PM
I don't find it skeptical at all that all equipment and livestock was cleared out...
since equipment and set up was from previous owner, and im sure Ken would have his own layout for tanks in his future site
as for livestock, why keep them around when there is no place to store it ?
Infact is a smart decision to turn them into income vs having them sit at ur house....
just my 2 cents.

fishoholic
07-15-2013, 01:22 AM
I don't find it skeptical at all that all equipment and livestock was cleared out...
since equipment and set up was from previous owner, and im sure Ken would have his own layout for tanks in his future site
as for livestock, why keep them around when there is no place to store it ?
Infact is a smart decision to turn them into income vs having them sit at ur house....
just my 2 cents.

I agree about the equipment and selling it cause you'd want new stuff for a new store. It's just not keeping the live rock that makes me wonder. Simply because its going to cost him more to ship new live rock in then what he was selling it for, plus the wait time for it to cycle etc. I mean, IMO, if you're planing on setting up a new store in a couple of months, why not hold onto the live rock you have that's cured rather then spending a bunch of money on new rock that will take awhile to cure? Ya it would take up some space but I think it would be a lot more cost effective to keep the rock you have rather then buy new.