PDA

View Full Version : brain coral

Graham_f
07-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Hey,
I have a new brain and it's acting a little weird I think.
This is my first one so everything it does is a first for me.

Yesterday was it's first full day under the lights. It looke great a healthy all day, but as te lights dimmed it seemed to get a little deflated looking.
After they were off it puked a little reddish brown stuff but I was told this is normal when you move them... They just get a little grumpy.

Today I come home from work and it looks over inflated on one side and droopy on the other. Is this normal or cause for concern?

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/gfish3410/image_zpsfab590c8.jpg

Snappy
07-08-2013, 11:22 PM
No need for concern it looks just fine.

naesco
07-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Hey,
I have a new brain and it's acting a little weird I think.
This is my first one so everything it does is a first for me.

Yesterday was it's first full day under the lights. It looke great a healthy all day, but as te lights dimmed it seemed to get a little deflated looking.
After they were off it puked a little reddish brown stuff but I was told this is normal when you move them... They just get a little grumpy.

Today I come home from work and it looks over inflated on one side and droopy on the other. Is this normal or cause for concern?

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/gfish3410/image_zpsfab590c8.jpg

Is it very near bottom of your tank? What are you feeding her?

neoh
07-09-2013, 02:03 AM
Is it very near bottom of your tank? What are you feeding her?

A brain? Hopefully books. :drum:

x2 looking healthy.

tang daddy
07-09-2013, 02:12 AM
The one side closest to the glass looks super inflated but its nothing to worry about, probally not enough light in the corner.

Looks fine, brain corals are pretty hardy, I had a rock drop on one before and half of it was peeling, thought it was dead but it recovered...

Graham_f
07-09-2013, 02:49 AM
thanks for calming me down :)

i'll give him a few more days to settle in... if its still super inflated i'll try moving him into a more sunny location.

chanda17
07-09-2013, 06:31 AM
My brain was like that too but I believe it is very normal. Mine will not inflate for 2 days once a month (like a girl's mood) then it's fine again. I was panic when it didn't inflate the first time :D

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Red brains actually don't like high light (greens do). Also, the deflated side may be due to water flow hitting the glass in that corner and just pushing against the brain. Wouldn't worry about it.

Anthony

Dearth
07-09-2013, 02:36 PM
It's normal for brain coral to do that once settled in they can inflate up to 3 times their normal size

As a warning though I recently lost both my brain coral as I had just worked 25 straight 12 hr night shifts and had all but ignored my tank other than top ups everything in my tank grew but my brains

Brain coral like water with not too much floaties in it unfortunately my water was fairly dirty and my brains took exception to it by the time I took time to look after my tank it was too late for both brains.

Madreefer
07-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Brain coral like water with not too much floaties in it unfortunately my water was fairly dirty and my brains took exception to it by the time I took time to look after my tank it was too late for both brains.

You might want to look in to a different cause to the losses of your brains.
They do quite fine with "dirty" water and eat those "floaties" you speak of . The one brain your talikng about was in a tank that was full off 3" hair algae for over a year. So it's seen much worse.