PDA

View Full Version : How many neons?

paddyob
07-07-2013, 04:36 PM
What's a safe number of neon gobies in a tank.

I have always been under the impression a small group can be kept, which is my intention, but somebody told me that might be a disaster.

Input. Anyone have more than two?

Madreefer
07-07-2013, 05:19 PM
I bought 3. 2 of them pestered the 3rd one. It disappeared and I found it a few months later living in my overflow. I put it back in with the other 2 fish and once again it has since disappeared. I looked and its not in my overflow so I assume its gone for good. Hope this helps.

Starry
07-07-2013, 05:20 PM
from saltwaterfish.c@m

"A group of neon gobies kept in the same tank will readily pair off and spawn, although it is wise to keep seven or more in a large tank so as to avoid any one individual being the target of too much inter-species aggression (one neon goby per 25-30 gallons is a good rule of thumb in my experience). A confirmed pair of neon gobies may be kept in a much smaller aquarium."

I had 3 in my tank, guess they were all males as I soon had 1.

Doug's fish
07-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Since I breed and raise neons I have many tanks with neons. Five gallon tank with eight,some five gallons with two or four and hundreds in twenty gallon grow out tanks of large size and have had no problems. I have neons in all my tanks.

lastlight
07-09-2013, 01:28 AM
Hundreds? I'd love to see that!