PDA

View Full Version : Koi in low temp POND?

JOSH
06-16-2004, 02:43 AM
We just purchased three 6" Koi and Im a little concerned about adding them to our pond which currently holds no fish.

My concern is the pond water is 10 C. and the fish came from a heated tank and the LFS. I took a 30 gallon tank and added water from the pond and heated it up to room temp and then floated the fish for an hour and kept them in the tank over night. The next morning I let the temp in the tank drop down to about 15 C. Then I caught all the fish put them in the bucket and floated the bucket in the pond until the temp in the bucket matched that of pond. Then I turned the bucket on its side and so the fish could swim out as they please although they have remained in the bucket.

I know its a little late now but those of with Koi is the water temp to cold?
The LFS said they would be fine

Since buying the fish none of them have been interested in food is this normal. They ate well at the store?

Just some feedback would be great

Aquattro
06-16-2004, 02:57 AM
They should be fine. If the pond is deep enough, they can winter over in the pond.

DOO-E
06-16-2004, 03:03 AM
Dont worry we winter our koi in our pond since they were an inch nothin to worry about.

BMW Rider
06-16-2004, 03:12 AM
Koi and gold fish will do fine right down to near freezing. They will be less active and eat less in colder water than warm, so don't worry they're ok. If they are not feeding don't add more food as this will only pollute the water and end up feeding the algae. Try a little, if they take it you can add more, if they don't go for it, skim it out again.

You can winter them in the pond, all you need to do is make sure the water stays oxygenated by keeping a bit of open water. Little or no feeding is needed. I have to bring my pond fish indoors because my pond is not deep enough not to freeze to the bottom. The water depth needs to be below the frost line, usually at least four feet of water is needed.