PDA

View Full Version : Who else owns a peppermint hogfish

tang daddy
07-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Just wanting to see who else owns a peppermint hogfish.... I just bit the bullet and purchased one, so far I am liking the guy. Quite a unique fish and goes great in my reef. He seems to mind his own and swims usually near the top looking for food. Please share your experience if you own one.

reefwars
07-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Just wanting to see who else owns a peppermint hogfish.... I just bit the bullet and purchased one, so far I am liking the guy. Quite a unique fish and goes great in my reef. He seems to mind his own and swims usually near the top looking for food. Please share your experience if you own one.

I have one and love him wasn't shy and hunts all day it's the only fish ive ever added that just automatically fit in with every one never hid for a sec . Price is high though at around $200. :p

tang daddy
07-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Nice to hear, mine was the same not shy and fit in. It was also the only fish that ate immediately the same day it was in. The price is definately not pretty however given my smaller 75g dimension I can't put a whole lot of fishes in, so this guy fits right in with the pack.

How big do they get?

reefwars
07-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Nice to hear, mine was the same not shy and fit in. It was also the only fish that ate immediately the same day it was in. The price is definately not pretty however given my smaller 75g dimension I can't put a whole lot of fishes in, so this guy fits right in with the pack.

How big do they get?

not too sure off hand, mine is about 4-5" and i have some smaller ones at the store that are as small as 2" this is the first one ive ever owned def liking him though lots of personality and those colors and stripes are eye catching:)

Tracey2
07-04-2013, 04:14 PM
I have one also but mine is shy, I see him a bit through the day but as soon as the lights go out he is out alot more.

WuHT
07-14-2013, 12:06 AM
I have him in a 150 gallon with larger fish. he's about 2-2.5" I bought a slightly smaller one a year ago but it jumped within 1 day of being put in the DT.

The current one is very bold for a small fish, which is absolutely great for me. Doesn't hesitate trying to steal food from larger fish and I haven't witnessed it deal any damage to any other fish.

Sometimes you get lucky and get peppermints that are more red (rather than black) striped, but i'm still happy with my purchase.

Then again, I'm a big fan of smallish fish (3" max) that can be bold enough to swim amongst angels/triggers/tangs/butterflies.