PDA

View Full Version : Worth opening a shop in St. John's ?

Bryan_k47
07-02-2013, 05:38 AM
Hi

Just wondering how big the hobby is on the Avalon ?
I was home recently for a trip and tried to go to some Salt Water Shops and found one weak one on Torbay Rd.
Is there anything else in the area offering goods to the Salt Water Reef community ?

jonn46
07-02-2013, 01:38 PM
You might want to post that question here as well.

http://atlanticregionreefersgroup.ca/index.php

John

fishoholic
07-02-2013, 04:06 PM
You have to factor in cost to ship SW things into St. Johns vs number of people who would shop there on a regular basis. Most SW stores in the city have other sources of income that help keep the SW shops open as most barely break even (some months take losses) or make fairly small profits. It seems like stores that offer weekly maintence to regular customers and build tanks are the only stores that make decent profits.

Bryan_k47
07-03-2013, 01:38 AM
Oh ya I get that for sure, but you have no idea how weak it is there for the hobby in regards to thing available

kole
07-03-2013, 01:48 AM
There are a good number of saltwater addicts in the St.John's and surrounding area and a lot of newcomers coming and going. There are only 2 stores with saltwater fish and supplies. The one on Torbay Road and the other is Pets Unlimited. With the lack of variety most people who are at the hobby for any length of time will order through online stores. The stores sell out what they bring in very quickly comes in on a Thursday and the tanks are empty in a couple of days.

Reefwars was back home a while ago and knows how little is available here maybe he will chime in with his .02 worth.

megatrev62
07-03-2013, 02:18 AM
WE NEED MORE SALTWATER STORES!! -I think there are enough hobbyists here to warrant another store. The population of St.John's and surrounding area would dictate that. I'm confident that there are more and more hobbyists coming into the saltwater side of things. I know many who order online because the variety in "Town" is lacking big time. There is no competition here really,so one store(Torbay Road) can reap the benefits of that. Have a good relationship with the store, but competition would benefit us all.

Derek14
10-15-2013, 04:47 PM
There's also a new flight from Moncton to St-Johns daily. Maybe you can get stuff from there.

kole
10-17-2013, 01:49 AM
There's also a new flight from Moncton to St-Johns daily. Maybe you can get stuff from there.

Pm sent

mufflerfist
12-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Maybe we should start by getting together and maybe set up a frag night or something..... Meet once a month or something like that...