PDA

View Full Version : Weird Stuff In My Aquarium

Reefaddict
07-02-2013, 01:56 AM
Need some help with this. I have some weird brown dusty type of stuff in my aquarium. Not sure what it is but it is over my rocks. I blow it off the rocks but it open reappears. I have no idea what it is. If you take a look at the picture, they look like little brown grass. Any idea what it is and how I can get rid of it?

Nano
07-02-2013, 02:31 AM
If your talking about the fuzzy stuff to me it just looks like detritus. I got some bad rock and I would blow it off then a day or so later it would be back. Try testing your water for phosphates with the light out at night after its been out for a few hours. If the tanks new, and you got the rock second hand sometimes it has a pretty bad build up of crud in it.

Mind you I could be 100% wrong and it could be something else. But to me it looks similar to what I had before I started getting green hair algae problems in my tank. Hopefully others will chime in with opinions

lastlight
07-02-2013, 02:55 AM
I have the same stuff. Looks like dead hair algae a bit but it actually has a few branches from each point of origin. I was wondering if it was a sort of hydroid...

I toothbrush them away but they do grow back. Flourish in lower light / under my overhangs. They also trap detritus really well and look shaggier over time.

If my stuff is not like yours excuse the random post lol.

Reefaddict
07-02-2013, 03:24 AM
If your talking about the fuzzy stuff to me it just looks like detritus. I got some bad rock and I would blow it off then a day or so later it would be back. Try testing your water for phosphates with the light out at night after its been out for a few hours. If the tanks new, and you got the rock second hand sometimes it has a pretty bad build up of crud in it.

Mind you I could be 100% wrong and it could be something else. But to me it looks similar to what I had before I started getting green hair algae problems in my tank. Hopefully others will chime in with opinions

It's an established tank that has been running for over 2 years. A bit of a crash recently but all corals survived. Redecorated the landscape and cleaned up most of the detritus. Phosphate level close or at 0. Didn't have much of a hair algae in the past. Just annoying because I have seen other gorgeous aquariums without these little buggers. :D

I have the same stuff. Looks like dead hair algae a bit but it actually has a few branches from each point of origin. I was wondering if it was a sort of hydroid...

I toothbrush them away but they do grow back. Flourish in lower light / under my overhangs. They also trap detritus really well and look shaggier over time.

If my stuff is not like yours excuse the random post lol.

Not at all. All comments appreciated. :biggrin:
In fact, it is exactly as you described. I would use a toothbrush or a turkey baster to blow it off and it would reappear. I do wonder if it is dead hair algae as well.

lastlight
07-02-2013, 04:37 AM
When I turkey baste the detritus off the branches still remain. When I use the toothbrush they all break off. In my case def not hair algae. Certainly harmless though from what I've observed.

Wheelman76
07-02-2013, 05:44 AM
I have some of that as well , seems to grow on the lower rocks underneath where there is not much light. Unfortunately I have no idea what it is. It does almost seem like some type of hydroids.

Like this type

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-02-2013, 06:06 AM
I would also vote for some form of hydroid.

canadianbudz604
07-02-2013, 06:18 AM
I got the same stuff as well. I always just leave it doesn't seem to bother anything

Acrowhora
07-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Those are hydroids,nasty little buggers:twised:I have some of that as well , seems to grow on the lower rocks underneath where there is not much light. Unfortunately I have no idea what it is. It does almost seem like some type of hydroids.

Like this type

canadianbudz604
07-02-2013, 06:46 AM
The pic of the ones near the palys are def hydroids, the other stuff looks different. The way I can describe it is tiny branches covered with grey mud?

lastlight
07-02-2013, 02:10 PM
yeah that is a perfect description. Mine don't look like the hydroids in that photo at all.