PDA

View Full Version : Stopping stn

Proteus
07-02-2013, 12:13 AM
I know there info on this. I know there's current threads. Ive tried the info on the net. And I don't want to hijack a thread

The story starts with a buddy's tank who runs or ran a successful sps zeo tank. He called me a few months back because his alk doser had been unplugged for whatever reason. His alk dropped to 5ish and began stn. He corrected the alk over a period of time as not to raise to fast. A while later while still battling stn he found that a zeo reactor had stopped working. For how long we don't know.

I took what I could for coral as he was going on holiday. I cut off the dead and fragged well into the healthy flesh. I dipped in RPS and put into tank. I do weekly WC. My params are excellent and none of my sps are affected. But still can't stop the stn.

Any suggestions

Marlin65
07-02-2013, 04:46 PM
I found out that they either die all the way or stop and start to grow back.
I have tried to cut off the dead parts before but some will just keep going untill they are gone.
The best you can do is cross your fingers and hope for the best. (That I know of):sad:

Aquattro
07-02-2013, 05:17 PM
The best you can do is cross your fingers and hope for the best. (That I know of):sad:

In all my years of SPS keeping, this is probably the only thing that works :) Just hope real hard.

Acrowhora
07-02-2013, 05:23 PM
I too am experiencing this problem:cry: my sps are suffering from stn,i've already lost a colony of blue tenius and a few other frags:sad: i've got my fingers crossed and praying to the coral god:cry:

Tn23
07-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Have you guys tried super-gluing the part that is dying? I guess thats just like basically cutting it off but I've noticed it working sometimes.

Bblinks
07-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Maybe a couple drips of lugols in a cup of water if its removable to disinfect

Acrowhora
07-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I'll dip them in revive today...just hope it's enough to save my sps.

SteveConn
07-02-2013, 09:09 PM
I trim them back as much as possible then superglue a barrier between the dying spots and healthy tissue. I make a barrier as well where I cut with a liberal amount of superglue. Seems to work sometimes if I've caught it early on.

Proteus
07-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Yeah I've cut, glued, trimmed, and dipped. No hope yet.

Just don't want to loose all of his corals.
Funny though I picked up some stn acros a few weeks prior from lfs and all are good