PDA

View Full Version : refinishing steel stands

blacknife
06-29-2013, 09:52 PM
setting up my next tank.. steel stand has some minor rust.. as does my current tanks stand,

light sanding and rust paint or something fancier?

WarDog
06-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Sounds good. Depends on how much you want to spend. You could sand and paint or sandblast and powdercoat.

Mike-fish
06-29-2013, 10:44 PM
What I did for mine was: grind down to bare steel then apply 3 coats of marine anti-corrosion epoxy primer then 2 coats of marine anti-corrosion epoxy paint.

Nano
06-29-2013, 11:55 PM
Yea imo a simple sanding won't suffice. You want to see how deep the rust goes as it could become a structural issue if its too deep. Id personally feel safer knowing what I have thousands of pounds/dollars sitting on. Grind it down if possible and use marine grade paint as suggested

JmeJReefer
06-30-2013, 12:24 PM
setting up my next tank.. steel stand has some minor rust.. as does my current tanks stand,

light sanding and rust paint or something fancier?

Probably just surface rust. A grinder with a flap disc will clean and buff and polish in a few strokes. A wire wheel will strip off paint but leave clean metal. Depending on how deep rust goes this should get the rust off quickly.

Myka
06-30-2013, 01:40 PM
In order to stop rust you have to completely remove the rust. A grinder is probably the tool of choice. Once you dig the rust out the stand may need a quick weld to refill that spot or maybe it is just surface rust. If you don't remove the rust entirely there is no point in doing anything to the stand as it will just be a waste of effort.

makana
06-30-2013, 08:33 PM
a good wire wheel will take off the old paint and all the rust without taking off any of the metal or leaving marks. It also doesn't throw sparks as bad. I did a boat rack for my truck and the wire wheel proved to be the fastest and cleanest method by far. The trick was getting a good wire wheel with thick twisted bristles, not the crimped ones at most hardware stores.

Phil
06-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Brush off what rust u have and just use rustoleum paint it has stuff in it the eats the rust

Maverick00
07-02-2013, 02:42 AM
depending on how intricate it is, id just save the hassle and get it sandblasted then paint it yourself. If youd like to do it yourself then id use a surfacing pad like this http://www.walter.com/Walter/en-ca/abrasives/cleaning-abrasives/angle-grinders/fx

They are amazing at taking off rust paint or primers on steel surfaces and fast. The only downside is price, and they tend to break up quite quickly on corners or sharp edges.

The Grizz
07-02-2013, 04:26 AM
Lots of good advise here already but I will add my 2 cents worth if you want it. What I use is a sanding disc for a grinder that is called a flapper wheel, its a bunch of little pieces of sand paper made in to a disc. I use the 60 and 80 grit to remove all paint and rust easily then repaint with a shop & marine enamel.

Jeff000
07-21-2013, 04:01 AM
Brush off what rust u have and just use rustoleum paint it has stuff in it the eats the rust

Rust inhibitor.

Lots of good advise here already but I will add my 2 cents worth if you want it. What I use is a sanding disc for a grinder that is called a flapper wheel, its a bunch of little pieces of sand paper made in to a disc. I use the 60 and 80 grit to remove all paint and rust easily then repaint with a shop & marine enamel.

This. But I like using a rust inhibitor primer just incase I missed some in a little pit or something.

gregzz4
07-21-2013, 04:33 AM
I haven't read throught the whole thread, so forgive me if I've missed something

If it's just surface rust, you can use this stuff (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/PaintStains/SprayPaint/PRDOVR~0489312P/Tremclad+Rust+Reformer.jsp?locale=en)to convert it from rust to a paintable surface
It's Rust Reformer (http://www.rustoleum.ca/CBGProduct.asp?pid=191) from Tremclad and works great for simple jobs
I've used it @ work for years and it's as good as it says

If your rust is worse than surface stuff, be aggressive with the previously mentioned methods, and then use this stuff before you paint

It's paintable and, to a point, sandable

reefme
07-21-2013, 12:39 PM
+1 on flapper wheel in air grinder. If not electric will do.
If you want the whole stand looks nice sand blast the thing.