PDA

View Full Version : Moving tank stress...

krissyfish20
06-15-2004, 06:55 AM
:idea: Hi!
My boyfriend and I are moving our 75 gallon marine tank from downstairs to upstairs this week. We've never done this before, and I know it's stressful on the whole reef system but it has to be done. The question is...does anyone on here have any tips for the least stressful move possible for our tank inhabitants, or any tips for moving a large marine tank easily?? There isn't a whole lot of rock or corals just yet, appx. 50 lbs of rock, and appx 8 corals plus 6 fish and a whole ton of urchins, crabs, snails, shrimp etc etc. Any advice would be fully appreciated. :)
Thanks a million
Krissy :smilecol:

DOO-E
06-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Go to Wal mart and buy a hole poop load of rubbermaid containers then drain your water into those and you have holing tanks for the fish also. Then leave 1 inch of water in the bottom of the tank for the snad bed. Make sure you put all the rock into the rubbermaid containers or anything that has any cool stuff growing on them. Then when the tank is in position you dump some of the water into the tank. Put some of the rock back. Dump more water into the tank. Finish the rock work. Top off the tank and add the fish and corals.

AJ_77
06-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Have a load of new saltwater at the ready - as much as half your volume if you can manage. Things can go nasty during moves, and you may need large water changes during or afterwards. Have lots of buckets and containers.

Drain the tank down into containers (half-full), put the rocks and corals into these. Then you can catch your fish a lot easier (save one bucket of tank water just for fish). As you drain down to the sandbed, you may not want to keep that last few inches of water - kind of sludgy. As long as the sandbed is wet, it will be fine for the move.

Get lots of friends to move the tank up the stairs... :biggrin:

Canadian Man
06-15-2004, 05:18 PM
The only thing I have to add is try to do this whole process as quickly as possible.

:biggrin:

Jim Barry
06-15-2004, 05:53 PM
to make it less stressful.... have a couple of cocktails first :lol: :biggrin: :rolleyes:

krissyfish20
06-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Thanks! :) It's scheduled for Thursday afternoon/evening. I have a good friend coming over who is a fellow reefer and I believe has done this before. So it should be all good.
Krissy

krissyfish20
06-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Haha yeah I'll definitely have a couple cocktails first. Our friend said as long as we'd pre-buy a case of beer he'd help! :wink: :biggrin: [/quote]