PDA

View Full Version : Where to find formalin

trilinearmipmap
06-15-2004, 04:20 AM
I read on RC the tips on clownfish from a clownfish guru, he recommended a formalin dip before putting the clownfish into a quarantine tank, I am going to follow his quarantine procedure because he seems to be experienced and his advice makes sense.

Anyway does anyone know where to find formalin, the best I can find is some products (like Quick Cure) that include formalin as an ingredient. I read that formalin has been banned, not sure if that is true.

EmilyB
06-15-2004, 04:40 AM
Why put the fish through that if they don't need it? :confused:

zulu_principle
06-15-2004, 04:40 AM
Used to be at big al's locally, check there online store.

Wendell

Aquattro
06-15-2004, 05:19 AM
I was always able to get some at the vet. It was used in treating discus for gill flukes.

trilinearmipmap
06-15-2004, 08:01 AM
Emily,

The reason to put the fish through it according to the article I read is that clowns often carry Brooklynella (spelling?) and other types of parasites/organisms, the suggestion in the article for quarantining clowns was

1. Acclimate to tank water in a container
2. Formalin dip
3. Quarantine tank for 4 to 6 weeks
4. Hyposalinity during the quarantine period

I know this sounds like overkill and most people don't do this sort of treatment, but since I'm spending lots of money and time on my tank, I might as well do my quarantine right.

Anyway I know I am a noob to saltwater and you have more experience than I do but read the article on RC and see what you think about it.

I'm getting captive bred clowns which normally should not be a big worry for disease but the retailer told me he keeps the captive bred clowns in with the regular wild caught stock, so I'm taking no chances.

EmilyB
06-15-2004, 09:32 PM
I should have expected a very scientific approach from a guy named trilinearmipmap I suppose.... :lol:

Quinn
06-15-2004, 09:37 PM
I thought those clownfish guys on RC normally only used their procedure on rare wild-caught animals (the ones that they pay several hundred dollars for). Are they using them on more common species?

Given that your LFS keeps the wild-caught fish with the captive-bred individuals though, it probably wouldn't hurt...

trilinearmipmap
06-15-2004, 11:22 PM
Well maybe I am getting carried away.

I'm just worried that once I introduce a disease or parasite into my reef tank it will be damn near impossible to eradicate it.

Maybe I should just go with a period of quarantine, hyposalinity and observation.

ree-fready
06-16-2004, 05:37 AM
Not that this does you any good but I got mine from a pharmacy in cCloverdale that sells some pharmisuiticals for animals. If you do use it I was told that 1 cc per gallon of water with heavy airation for a max of 1 hour. The formilan eats up the oxygen so you need lots going in. The stuff I got is 37%. Hope thishelps.

trilinearmipmap
06-16-2004, 10:47 PM
Yeah I got the formalin 37% from my pharmacy, thanks.