PDA

View Full Version : Tap Water Purifier Life in Vancouver

Bryan
08-25-2002, 03:40 PM
Curious as to what life expectancy in gallons users of the Tap Water Purifier achieve using Vancouver water.

JoJo
08-25-2002, 05:52 PM
I live in Richmond. I've made up over 50G using the TWP and the cartridge is about 1/3 spent.

reefburnaby
08-25-2002, 07:52 PM
Hi,

I am currently running DI on my water at about 150 - 180 gallons per cartridge.

But, I have noticed that the carbon needs replacement (or supplement) in about 50G.

- Victor.

billc
08-25-2002, 08:56 PM
I heard somewhere about buying the chemicals to recharge the units at home with out having to buy a new cartridge.. Any info??

StirCrazy
08-25-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by billc:
I heard somewhere about buying the chemicals to recharge the units at home with out having to buy a new cartridge.. Any info??<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">from, what I have read/heard for one cartrage it is expensive and a lot of work, but if you have 4 cartrages and wait till 3 are dirty and do them all at onece it is a bit better. Reef_Raf has recharged them maby he can elaborate some more on this.

Steve

Aquattro
08-25-2002, 09:11 PM
Not too expensive, but it takes about an hour the first time to figure out what you're doing. If anyone wants the instructions, they can be found here:

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/twp_recharge.html

**Remember, if you do this, these chemicals are very corrosive. Use appropriate safety equipment in a well ventilated area.

billc
08-26-2002, 02:22 AM
We are talking about major toxic wastes to get clean water.. I love my TWP but if this is what is takes.. There must be a better way..
:confused:

robert
08-26-2002, 02:37 AM
We are talking about major toxic wastes to get clean water.. I love my TWP but if this is what is takes.. There must be a better way..
:confused: <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There is one, $29.99 replacement cartridge in King Ed Pet. Center :cool:

robert

[ 25 August 2002, 22:49: Message edited by: Robert ]

Aquattro
08-26-2002, 02:52 AM
:confused: <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bill, I've done this several times. It isn't that bad. I made many much more toxic things in organic chem class :D Don't eat, drink or pour it on your head and you'll be fine.

billc
08-26-2002, 03:23 AM
I can do that.. Made some nitro in my senior project.. still here.. Noxious yes but I have to try it..

clintyiu
08-26-2002, 03:31 AM
Hmmm...

Looking at the cost of using DI I am thinking of switching to RO. A 5 stage unit sells for about $350 which is just about the least expensive I've seen.

As with recharging the DI resins....where does all the corrosive stuff go? Just disappears down the drain. Out of sight...out of mind. This is okay if you live in an area where there is waste water management but if you don't please mind what you pour down the sink.

clint

reefburnaby
08-26-2002, 03:53 AM
Hi,

The two (very) active ingredients are HCL and NaOH. These two solutions are in very high concentrations and they are very corrosive individually. However, if you carefully (slowly) mix the two chemicals together,

HCL + NaOH <=> NaCl + H2O

NaCl...or table salt (without the iodine), is corrosive too....especially to steel and stainless steel, but it it is relatively harmless in diluted form. Of course, this is assuming that there is equal amount of HCL and NaOH in the two solutions. If either solution is greater, then the unreacted portion of the solution will enter the water system.

So, it is relatively safe...other than concentrating all of the metals, phophates and silicate from 150 gallons in to 1 gallon of waste water.

- Victor.