PDA

View Full Version : White styrofoam or pink insulation

evan1017
06-27-2013, 04:49 AM
Hi, can anyone give me some advices? Should I put a white styrofoam or pink insulation in between the tank and the stand?

gregzz4
06-27-2013, 04:56 AM
Pink styro insulation has a fairly high compression resistance

Without searching the web to back up my thoughts, I'll say they are not made of the same material

The kind of white styro I'm thinking of will be flatter than a sheet of paper and fall apart when you put a tank on it so, go with the pink stuff :wink:

fishytime
06-27-2013, 05:04 AM
pink fersure

Madreefer
06-27-2013, 05:17 AM
Yea go for the pink.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading an article quite a few years back about its some sort of added support in regards to the bottom pane of glass cracking. Something about flex in the glass or something. I dunno. Just throwin that out there.

ScubaSteve
06-27-2013, 05:19 AM
The pink over the styrofoam for sure. For my most recent tanks I have been using The black closed cell foam used for camping/hiking mats. It's quite dense, and so doesn't compress much, and it thinner and doesn't show like a bright pink foam does. I got it from the Foam Shop.

evan1017
06-27-2013, 05:24 AM
Thank you guys!! Should I get the 1" or 1/2"? I'm setting up a 135gal

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-27-2013, 05:28 AM
Rona sells blue sheets (way nicer but a little more $$) than PINK!!! :lol:

Madreefer
06-27-2013, 05:33 AM
Why is there a need to put this under your tank anyways? If your stand is totally level and there is no imperfections you probably don't need it anyways. I've had several different tanks and haven't put anything underneath. But all were store bought with matching stands to fit. My basement sump is on a crappy homemade stand being held up with building block bricks and I put the thin camping mat under it with no problems as of yet

evan1017
06-27-2013, 05:37 AM
Why is there a need to put this under your tank anyways? If your stand is totally level and there is no imperfections you probably don't need it anyways. I've had several different tanks and haven't put anything underneath. But all were store bought with matching stands to fit. My basement sump is on a crappy homemade stand being held up with building block bricks and I put the thin camping mat under it with no problems as of yet

I am building a stand with 2 x 4 and a piece of plywood on top.

ScubaSteve
06-27-2013, 05:38 AM

I agree. I think it's more of a safety precaution to avoid stress points. That's why I went with the camping may as well.

monocus
06-27-2013, 04:34 PM
i agree-i just use foam floor underlay for any imperfections on the painted plywood stand

globaldesigns
06-27-2013, 05:34 PM
I got the white stuff under mine, that is what was done by the builder back in the day when I got it. I have had no problems with the white styro.

smokinreefer
06-27-2013, 07:56 PM
from what i've been reading, foam isnt neccessary if your tank has plastic trim.

but is needed if you have a trimless tank.

is this correct?

hfp75
06-28-2013, 04:49 AM
Yes you are correct
The plastic trim lifts the bottem pane of glass and thus it's protected....

Jeff000
07-21-2013, 03:49 AM

It's basically to make sure a grain of sand, or the like, doesn't cause a point load on the bottom of the tank, instead it will sink into the foam. It won't help level the tank, or anything like that. The foam is way to dense to deform to any kind of significant issue.

from what i've been reading, foam isnt neccessary if your tank has plastic trim.

but is needed if you have a trimless tank.

is this correct?

This! Don't put foam under a tank with the plastic trim under it.

gregzz4
07-21-2013, 03:52 AM
It's basically to make sure a grain of sand, or the like, doesn't cause a point load on the bottom of the tank, instead it will sink into the foam. It won't help level the tank, or anything like that. The foam is way to dense to deform to any kind of significant issue.

This! Don't put foam under a tank with the plastic trim under it.
+1