PDA

View Full Version : In need of some check valves for 1/2" ID hose - GVRD or Online

gregzz4
06-27-2013, 04:29 AM
Any idea where to get a couple of these, either locally, or online ?
They must fit 1/2" ID vinyl hose ...
Not looking for 1/2" check valves for PVC :razz:

I'd like to install them on my GFO and Carbon reactors to stop product from back-siphoning into my sump when the pumps are turned off

Thanks for your help :smile:

mattr
06-27-2013, 04:45 AM
im looking for a 3/4 check valve. let me know if you end up needing to order. i will go in with you so shippings cheaper/free

gregzz4
06-27-2013, 04:53 AM
I'm looking for ones I can insert using 1/2" vinyl hose

You're looking for this style, ya ?
3/4" swing check valve (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/177-8334234-4519749?url=search-alias%3Dlawngarden&field-keywords=3%2F4%22+swing+check+valve)

Anyone ?

TimT
06-27-2013, 05:13 AM
I would just use a 1/2"pvc check valve with 1/2" hose barbs.

gregzz4
06-27-2013, 05:16 AM
I would just use a 1/2"pvc check valve with 1/2" hose barbs.
I can get them from Princess Auto, but I was hoping to get small ones that go inline ...

spit.fire
06-27-2013, 06:14 AM
If your input and output are both submerged it shouldn't be back siphoning... Although I could be wrong

TimT
06-27-2013, 07:56 AM
An easier method might be:
1. run a loop of hose from pump to reactor inlet. Top of loop should be at the height of the water in the reactor.

2. install a barbed t fitting at the top of the loop.

3. add more hose to leg of the T facing up. This should loop up another foot and then back down so if any water comes out from pump it goes into the sump. This acts as a siphon break.

This is one reason why I abandoned GFO and went to Foz Down. Too much hassle with reactors, flow rates, clumping and back siphoning.

Cheers,
Tim

neoh
06-27-2013, 06:19 PM
could try Corix, I believe they have all sorts of check valves.

gregzz4
06-28-2013, 01:44 AM
I'm not even sure if product is escaping the reactors anymore when they are powered off. I haven't cleaned out the sump yet, so for all I know the foams are doing their job and the initial escaping was just a misfire on my part when loading them

I need check valves as my reactors and pumps are in the return chamber, but the outlets are in the chamber before the socks and that chamber has a higher water level. Hence, when they are powered off, water back-flows through the reactors
I could run the outlets into the same chamber as the pumps, but I'd rather have it going back through the socks

And although it's a good suggestion, I don't want any more hoses in there, but thanks any way Tim :wink:

Thanks neoh, but I'm looking for barbed valves and I believe Corix only has PVC pipe style ones
Plus I can't get there anymore due to working hours