PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Clown

WarDog
06-26-2013, 04:09 AM
HOLY CRAP ON A STICK!!!... and I thought Picaso's and Snowflakes were over-priced!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-PNG-Lightning-Maroon-Clownfish-BZLM2/161051111760?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=006&category=168141&cmd=ViewItem

mrhasan
06-26-2013, 04:24 AM
HOLY CRAP ON A STICK!!!... and I thought Picaso's and Snowflakes were over-priced!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-PNG-Lightning-Maroon-Clownfish-BZLM2/161051111760?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=006&category=168141&cmd=ViewItem

I think lighting maroons are the most expensive ones (although this one seems way overpriced). They are result of an extensive captive breeding and each comes with their own "birth certificate" :P Oh not to mention they are "limited edition".

The Codfather
06-26-2013, 04:41 AM
That has to be the ugliest clown i have ever seen....
Im not joking.

mrhasan
06-26-2013, 05:02 AM
Im not joking.

I didn't want to be the first person to say it :lol:

I think there are people who generally go for the "rare" and "expensive" stuff instead of just the "pretty" ones.

Acrowhora
06-26-2013, 05:37 AM
for that price,it'd better do my laundry and make me dinner...

paddyob
06-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Im not joking.

+1

Oilers
06-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Im not joking.

I don't know.. I think it's a beautiful fish. However, I don't see how it can be worth the price of $6K. Way way too expensive.

freezetyle
06-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Sad part is, blue zoo isn't even setting the price. That is all market demand.

AquaPin
06-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Im not joking.

That was the first thing my son said when he looked that the picture. Crazy price for a single fish, my entire setup is less than that.

mrhasan
06-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Sad part is, blue zoo isn't even setting the price. That is all market demand.

Just look at how the bidding started from the beginning! Crazy people :twised:

mrhasan
06-26-2013, 04:54 PM
That was the first thing my son said when he looked that the picture. Crazy price for a single fish, my entire setup is less than that.

I can see your son has the correct taste ;)

fishytime
06-26-2013, 11:12 PM
just looked at the link.......OMG! what is wrong with that poor fish????....Looks like it has that Micheal Jackson thing going on:mrgreen:

Myka
06-27-2013, 12:10 AM
They are result of an extensive captive breeding

That is not accurate. These are F1 babies which means both the parents are wild caught. In this case, the parents were collected in Papua New Guinea at different times. The breeder, Matt Pedersen, worked at it for several years trying to pair up the Lightning Maroon. He also paid $2500 for the fish without any guarantees for a reproductive future. The babies offered for sale right now are from the only successful spawning from the pair so far. It has been many months with no more reproductive activity. These are indeed quite rare!

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/03/30/lightning-maroon-clownfish-from-blue-zoo-aquatics-will-be-entrusted-to-an-accomplished-fishbreeder/

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/05/09/lightning-maroon-clownfish-spawn/

This is what the female looks like. It is expected the white pattern on the babies will develop to look like the female.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liz1y2ggUj1qf2ajzo1_400.jpg

swill
06-27-2013, 12:59 AM
I'd say i***i is going to be the winner, he jumped the bid from $800 to $1500 and then was outbidded 11 times...he's in the lead now though. I'd like to see the winners display tank if this is what they are willing to spend on one fish just imagine the tank it's going into!!!

The seller has 5 of these guys on for bidding right now...imagine 5 x $6000+ ...Yes please!!!!

Myka
06-27-2013, 01:24 AM
The seller has 5 of these guys on for bidding right now...imagine 5 x $6000+ ...Yes please!!!!

Only two are "Lighting", the others are normal-ish bars. The normal barred ones are less than $1000. But yeah, nice pay back!

mrhasan
06-27-2013, 01:25 AM
That is not accurate. These are F1 babies which means both the parents are wild caught. In this case, the parents were collected in Papua New Guinea at different times. The breeder, Matt Pedersen, worked at it for several years trying to pair up the Lightning Maroon. He also paid $2500 for the fish without any guarantees for a reproductive future. The babies offered for sale right now are from the only successful spawning from the pair so far. It has been many months with no more reproductive activity. These are indeed quite rare!

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/03/30/lightning-maroon-clownfish-from-blue-zoo-aquatics-will-be-entrusted-to-an-accomplished-fishbreeder/

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/05/09/lightning-maroon-clownfish-spawn/

This is what the female looks like. It is expected the white pattern on the babies will develop to look like the female.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liz1y2ggUj1qf2ajzo1_400.jpg

Ops sorry. I should have elaborated. By "extensive", I meant the three year (or so) time that the breeder put into to get this fish to this stage. :redface:

I'd say i***i is going to be the winner, he jumped the bid from $800 to $1500 and then was outbidded 11 times...he's in the lead now though. I'd like to see the winners display tank if this is what they are willing to spend on one fish just imagine the tank it's going into!!!

I am sure i***i will just put it in the tank, throw a party at his beach house (highly likely), show off his new score, end the party and start searching for the next new "ornament" while his employees take care of the fish (with the rest of the tank).

Reef Pilot
06-27-2013, 01:35 AM
I am sure i***i will just put it in the tank, throw a party at his beach house (highly likely), show off his new score, end the party and start searching for the next new "ornament" while his employees take care of the fish (with the rest of the tank).

Better hope he doesn't get ich....:twised:

Myka
06-27-2013, 01:39 AM
Did you guys notice that "i***i" has the top bid on both of the Lightning Maroons? He's sitting at a $11,200 total right now. :eek:

George
06-27-2013, 03:10 AM
Whoever winning the bids must be a clown fish breeder. Now we know the lightning pattern on the mother is genetic. It's a matter of time before we have more clown fish with that pattern by breeding using F1 and later generations. IMO, $6K is a small price for such a (potentially) valuable fish.

mrhasan
06-27-2013, 03:19 AM
Did you guys notice that "i***i" has the top bid on both of the Lightning Maroons? He's sitting at a $11,200 total right now. :eek:

Or maybe he/she is just an inside person trying to bump up the price ;)

Madreefer
06-27-2013, 05:10 AM

So why do people assume that when someone is successful in life and has alot of money and like to spend it are crooks or up to no good?
And good for the buyer if he has staff to look after his piece of art created in his home.

mrhasan
06-27-2013, 06:08 AM
So why do people assume that when someone is successful in life and has alot of money and like to spend it are crooks or up to no good?
And good for the buyer if he has staff to look after his piece of art created in his home.

The media is responsible ;) :razz:

Its just intimidating when someone spend so much on something which, um, well I don't know how to explain it. Its like those splashes of paintbrushes going for millions of $$$$ since one cannot understand the meaning of it (abstract!). Just intimidating and its the human's nature to gossip about intimidating stuffs :lol:

Spyd
06-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Darn, I thought my $10 bid would have done the trick... Guess not. :mrgreen:

If you look at the bid history though, something does look a little fishy there. Some people bid against themselves driving up the price $1k at some points.... That strikes me as odd. It happened on numerous occassions. Good on the winner to be able to spend that on a fish though! I would have much rather rebuilt another awesome reef tank for that price, but to each their own!

jorjef
06-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Long story short you can't really bid against yourself. Consecutive bids by the same person is them trying to outbid the high bidder that set a max bid. Example I set my max bid at 100.00 the auction bid is at 25. You place a bid at 35,45,55 etc. but I'm still high bid and you now have three in a row that makes it look like you are bidding against yourself. The high bidder increased his max bid that's why the two most recent bids are his but the price didn't increase.

Spyd
06-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Gotcha! Thank you. That makes sense... I was wondering what was going on there. lol.

Myka
06-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Whoever winning the bids must be a clown fish breeder. [...] IMO, $6K is a small price for such a (potentially) valuable fish.

That's possible for sure. I agree, for a breeder the price is reasonable.

That's just a sad, sick thought. :neutral: I know these people involved, they are not crooks.

pinkreef
06-28-2013, 03:23 PM
matt got the one ltng maroon clown from png. they wont as far as i know
let any more go to the us (if they find any) so it is a rare fish. he decided to let the clown go female because of their aggression and paired her up with a smaller maroon clown male. after that i dont know what happened and i dont know how he was able to get another. think of the possibilities if a breeder (i hope) gets one of these. a black clown with the lace pattern would be beautiful.:idea:

mrhasan
06-28-2013, 04:37 PM
That's just a sad, sick thought. :neutral: I know these people involved, they are not crooks.

Its not about being crook. Its about setting the right market price in biddings.

Razor
06-28-2013, 09:09 PM
It's all supply and demand.