PDA

View Full Version : Magnet cleaners

Jim Barry
06-14-2004, 10:07 PM
I bought a MagFloat cleaner a few months ago for my acrylic tank and find this to be an inferior product. The magnet is located in the center of the cleaner and and although it is fine when cleaning the center areas of the glass, it does not have enough magnetic pull on the edges of the cleaner. As a result it does a "crappy" job when trying to clean the near the edges of the tank.

I am thinking of buying a Hammerhead magnet cleaner. They are alot more expensive than the Magfloat, but I am wondering if they do a good job, especially on the edges of the tank.

Any feedback?

Jim

Quinn
06-14-2004, 10:17 PM
I agree. I know those wooden ones do well, I thought they were called Magnavores but maybe they're the Hammerheads.

EmilyB
06-14-2004, 10:18 PM
I use the Magnavore, but it is non-float. Very powerful magnet.

Dez
06-14-2004, 10:29 PM
Won't those super powerfull ones scratch the acrylic? I have one of those magnovores, but I find em too powerfull for my 180 glass tank, so I took it off.

des

EmilyB
06-14-2004, 10:32 PM
They have special pads for acrylic tanks.

Jim Barry
06-14-2004, 10:41 PM
I was looking for a floating magnet cleaner.

Here is the link from J&L.

Has anyone used this cleaner. Does it work close to the edge of the tank?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=cl-mre02f

If anyone has I used one for sale, let me know?

Buccaneer
06-15-2004, 12:28 AM
Hey Jim ... I have the TigerShark version and it is awesome ! ... you just have to specify whether glass or acrylic for the pads.

Jim Barry
06-15-2004, 12:49 AM
Thanks Steve,

I was just going to order one from J&L and my sweetie stopped me........ apparently I am getting one for fathers day.... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Don't you love it when our wives actually support this hobby.......

robbyville
06-15-2004, 11:57 PM
Hi Jim,

I should mention that I also have one of these magnets for my acrylic tank. If memory serves it comes standard with a couple of pads to use on acrylic.

While you won't have the same problem you had with the magfloat (I had one as well), I should mention that I have not had great success with the new one either. In my case I have rounded edges (Looked great in at the LFS...), but also I just feel that you don't get the same "scrubbing" ability with the acrylic pads, regardless of magnet strength. I think in the future I would keep the magnet for routine maintenance but unless you're using it all the time with no build up on the acrylic you simply won't get the same benefits that you would if you were using it on glass without the acrylic pad.

Not sure if I worded my explanation properly, let me know if you would like further info.

HTH,

Rob

zulu_principle
06-16-2004, 03:39 AM
Geeze

And I had a used one.....

Wendell

BMW Rider
06-16-2004, 03:07 PM
I made my own mag cleaner. I bought the rare earth magnets from Lee Valley Tools, used a piece of flat iron for a backing, then encased the whole thing in fiberglass resin. All you need is a small plastic tub to serve as a mould. I use a piece of self stick velcro to hold the scrubber pad on, and a piece of self stick felt pad on the outer half. I think I ended up using eight 3/4" magnets on each half to get it to work on the 1/2" glass of my tank. It does matter how you arrange them too to get the strongest attraction between the halves. Cant remember the layout now, but I had to experiment with it to get it right. The magnets cost me about $20.

trilinearmipmap
06-17-2004, 01:09 PM
For routine glass cleaning are people using these magnetic cleaners, or just a credit card, or one of those "Pro-Scrapers"?

AJ_77
08-30-2004, 02:17 AM
For routine glass cleaning are people using these magnetic cleaners, or just a credit card, or one of those "Pro-Scrapers"?
I was told by someone to cut a 45-degree notch in the end of a length of 1/2" PVC, and fit a razor blade half-deep in there. They claimed it made a great scraper.

Tried it today with some rigid tubing (5/8") and a single-edged blade - as far as scrapers go, it works real good.

Still can't decide about a magnet...

muck
08-30-2004, 04:23 AM
I was told by someone to cut a 45-degree notch in the end of a length of 1/2" PVC, and fit a razor blade half-deep in there.
Been using that setup for years works great... :mrgreen:

AJ_77
08-30-2004, 02:44 PM
I was told by someone to cut a 45-degree notch in the end of a length of 1/2" PVC, and fit a razor blade half-deep in there.
I think it was Muck!

:mrgreen:

Quinn
08-30-2004, 06:22 PM
Just be careful you keep the blade straight and level, and take your time...

AJ_77
08-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Just be careful you keep the blade straight and level, and take your time...

And NEVER run with the blades pointed toward your body, children...
oops, that's for scissors. :redface:

:biggrin: ... agree with you though, Quinn - it's not a quick job with that little setup. Care and patience, yup yup.

monza
08-31-2004, 11:39 PM
Can't recall the name of my magnet cleaner only used it a few times. It seemed to really freak the fish out, sort of like fingers on a chalk board, do you think I'm in left field on that. Anyone else notice it freaks the fish out?

I use the big scapper sold in fish stores with about a two inch changable blade on the bottom. My powder blue loves to attack it, he hates that thing.

Dave

Jack
08-31-2004, 11:53 PM
Sand between the magnets can make that sound. Maybe that?

monza
09-01-2004, 12:04 AM
With out going on about this nope that's not it. When I move the outside magnet the inside one skips-vibrates along trying to stay with the outside one
if that makes any sence. The vibrating motion is what the fish freak about.

Dave :rolleyes:

UnderWorldAquatics
09-01-2004, 12:49 AM
there is the algae free brand magnets, and the magnavore brand magnets for some of the stronger ones out there, I have used the hammer head float version by algae free, and am currently using the great white by algae free, amazing, actually right now too amazing, on 3/4" glass or acrylic I have to use 2 hands and all my body weight to move the magnet, I have it because of some larger tanks I used to service and some larger tanks of my own... on 1 1/2" glass it is still very firm and you have to use some strength to clean with it...

for smaller glass tanks the mag floats work good

AJ_77
09-01-2004, 03:56 AM
With out going on about this nope that's not it. When I move the outside magnet the inside one skips-vibrates along trying to stay with the outside one
if that makes any sence. The vibrating motion is what the fish freak about.

Dave :rolleyes:
I've seen that before, Dave - not a smooth pull across the glass at all... Too much resistance maybe? Can see how that might be a little freaky to the inhabitants.

Is your size of magnet matched to the glass thickness, or did you go for over-kill? Just curious...

Oh, and check the make and model. :mrgreen:

monza
09-01-2004, 04:22 AM
Ooohhh really a smooth pull :idea: That would be better I'm sure, far from what a have.
It's a Mag- Float model ? 3 1/4x 2 1/2 inches my glass is only 3/8.
I've alway just thought this thing sucks and forgot about it, being to powerful might make sence. It is strong.

Dave

AJ_77
09-01-2004, 04:39 AM
I just meant that it won't pull smoothly no matter how hard you try. The crazy-strong friction causes the skipping effect, I think, and the magnet rubs across the glass in a series of tiny jumps, and makes that r-r-r-r-r sound.

I mean, strong is good, but too strong may be not so good like you say... I almost bought the middle size Mag float the other day (just barely strong enough) but they were sold out, of course.

EmilyB
09-01-2004, 05:22 AM
The mag float is a wimpy magnet at best and is probably trying to cling to the glass..... :lol: :rolleyes: :razz:

Fish
09-15-2004, 03:41 AM
I don't use mag floats because I have found them to be really weak and bulky - a big concession to make just ot keep your hands dry. I recently bought a "Aquaruim Systems Twister" magnet from Wai's and it is the best I've ever used. I tied a length of fishing line to it so I don't have to get my hands wet when I move it from one pane of glass to the other. Other than that, it doesn't come off because the magnet is so strong. What I really like about it is the scraping half of the magnet is less than 3/8" thick and fits into any corner or between narrow gaps between rocks and glass. JME.

- Chad

StirCrazy
09-15-2004, 12:50 PM
I kike the mag floats, work fine and the price is right. just get one size bigger than you think you need.

Steve

kris_willard
09-15-2004, 03:47 PM
I have the hammerhead float on my 90gal AGA. it is rediculously strong, but you pay for what you get. My old lady freaked when she foud out i paid $100 for a magnet, so she went out and bought a Loouis Vitton purse. URGGG they do work well thoough and i would reccomend it to anyone who wants a high quality magnet.

jgoldsney
09-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Yikes!!!!! a Louis Vitton Purse must have dented the bank account.
I know someone who has a $1500US Louis Vitton Purse. :eek: :eek:

And some people say Reef keepers are Crazy $1500 for a humk o leather most likely put together in a sweat shop :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kris_willard
09-16-2004, 02:44 AM
HAAHA yeh payback is a Bi**h. We actually have a connection where we can get the for REAL cheapso itt wasnt quite that bad.

Kiznik
05-04-2005, 06:36 AM
Dez made a pretty cool DIY version using a regular magfloat magnet, some modeling plastic, a snapping razorblade holder and a zip tie, and it worked like a charm on his glass tank.