PDA

View Full Version : Calculating Gallonage

DOO-E
06-14-2004, 06:46 PM
I was thinging about making a bowfront corner tank but i do not know the formula for calculation the gallonage. I know that the formula of a retanglular tank is lengh in inches times width in inches time height in inches divided by 231 but what is the formula for bow front corner tanks

Canadian Man
06-14-2004, 07:08 PM
How the heck do you plan on building your own corner bow tank :eek: :rolleyes:

Anyway with bow front tanks......Just guess the gallonage. That should be good enough. :razz:

DOO-E
06-14-2004, 09:06 PM
I dont want to build one i want it to be custom made. Plus it really wouldnt be that hard you just glue the pieces together like a regualr rectangle tank.

Gujustud
06-14-2004, 09:09 PM

I heard if you leave the glass in the sun long enough, it will become pliable enough to bend with your hands ;)

muck
06-14-2004, 09:11 PM
You could always rent a glass bender. :cool:

Canadian Man
06-14-2004, 09:14 PM
I dont want to build one i want it to be custom made. Plus it really wouldnt be that hard you just glue the pieces together like a regualr rectangle tank.

I realize building a tank is not that difficult as I have done it before. I was more curious about how you plan on bending the glass.
But now my question is answered.

BMW Rider
06-14-2004, 09:30 PM
Basically you need to break the area calculations down into geometric sections (squares, triangles, circle sections) that you can calculate the area of, then add them all up to get the total area. Multiply that by the height for total volume.

Or you can do what I do. Draw the plan in your handy dandy CAD software and let it calculate the area for you. Saves my head from hurting so much.

Quinn
06-14-2004, 09:45 PM
Wouldn't the volume of the front piece be about half of the volume of the imaginary box it would fit into? Otherwise I would leave it to the manufacturer to worry about volume, I'm sure companies like IA that build bowfronts have a pretty good idea of how large they are.

Scavenger
06-14-2004, 09:48 PM

I heard if you leave the glass in the sun long enough, it will become pliable enough to bend with your hands ;)

Yes, this is true, but the cost of rocket fuel to get the glass there and back makes it quite uneconomical. :lol:

Gujustud
06-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Yes, this is true, but the cost of rocket fuel to get the glass there and back makes it quite uneconomical. :lol:

But just think of what the words "custom made tank" means when it comes time to sell the tank?

DOO-E
06-14-2004, 10:26 PM
I will just get somebody to bend it for me.

ed99
06-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Volume of a cylinder is area * height. A corner bowfront tank is just a quarter cylinder. Therefore

V = (pi * r^2 * h)/4.

There are 264 US gallons in a cubic metre.

Good luck.

Ed

DOO-E
06-14-2004, 11:23 PM
uuuuuuuhhhhhhh ill get my dad to look at the furmula lets just put it this way i am in math 24.

Aquattro
06-14-2004, 11:26 PM
uuuuuuuhhhhhhh ill get my dad to look at the furmula lets just put it this way i am in math 24.

It's simple really. Volume =(3.14 x radius squared x height) all divided by 4.

pi is approximated to 3.14 for this calc.

DOO-E
06-14-2004, 11:29 PM
TOO.. :confused: MUCH :confused: ...MATH :confused: Must :confused: NOT :confused: THINK :confused: TOO :confused: HARD Okay guys i will break it down so i dont think too hard and hurt myself thanks

sacrifice333
06-15-2004, 01:20 AM
http://www.thekrib.com/TankHardware/size-chart.html

Give's some common dimensions relative to their gallon size.

http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/extras/Info/Size_of_UV_filter.html

Has a calculator... but it may be more of a challenge estimating your 'corner' unit capacity.[/quote]

Quinn
06-15-2004, 01:24 AM
You're going to have someone bend it for you? And so you're also going to cut the bottom piece into the correct shape?

ed99
06-15-2004, 02:43 AM
No avoiding math on this one. Here's an example:

My tank is 24 inches (0.6meters) tall and is a 34 in (0.86m) from back to front which is the radius.

Volume = pi * radius ^2 / 4 = 3.14 * 0.86 * 0.86 / 4 = 0.348 m3

0.348 m3 * (264 gallons/ 1 m3) = 91.96 gallons. My tank is listed as 92 gallons- I guess I remembered something from high school!

titus
06-15-2004, 07:10 AM
Hello,

Is it really true that it's a quarter cylinder? I have a feeling that not all bow fronts work that way. The best way to figure it out is to find out what is the radius (r) for the curve. Then find out the angle limits (theta1, theta2) within which the curve fits in. Then do the following:

Area = Integral from r'=0 to r'=r of Integral from theta'=theta1 to theta'=theta2 of r'*dtheta'*dr' - (r * cos[(theta2 - theta1)/2] * r * sin[(theta2 - theta1)/2])

Then to get volume, multiply Area by height of tank.

BTW, didn't double check this but I believe it is correct.

Titus

DOO-E
06-15-2004, 01:19 PM
OKay either i will build it and get all the glass pre cut or i will get it custom made not sure yet. If i do get it custom made i think i will get the stand and the hood custom made also.

ed99
06-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Hello,

Is it really true that it's a quarter cylinder? I have a feeling that not all bow fronts work that way. The best way to figure it out is to find out what is the radius (r) for the curve. Then find out the angle limits (theta1, theta2) within which the curve fits in. Then do the following:

Area = Integral from r'=0 to r'=r of Integral from theta'=theta1 to theta'=theta2 of r'*dtheta'*dr' - (r * cos[(theta2 - theta1)/2] * r * sin[(theta2 - theta1)/2])

Then to get volume, multiply Area by height of tank.

BTW, didn't double check this but I believe it is correct.

Titus

You're probably right but now you're taking me back to university level stuff! Not wanting to relive my calculus classes I didn't check your formula either, but I think most conic section formulas can be derived through calculus. The fact that for a corner tank (theta2-theta1 = 90 degrees) will likely simplify the formula down to what I used. Something to do on a rainy day...

Ed

shift_47
06-17-2004, 01:44 AM
all courner tanks are a 1/4 of a cylinder if a chance they are not just - the back triangle.