PDA

View Full Version : Starting my Nano tomorrow!!!!

RobbAdams
06-14-2004, 04:38 PM
Ok, so I have already purchased a 28 gallon AGA bowfront. and 2 hagen 201's. tomorrow I will be getting my sand and salt and test kits, as wellas live rock I think. here is my list of questions for you experienced people.

1) I am planning to use a skimmer in my set-up, and was looking for opinions on weather I would be better off with the Seclone 100, or the Prizim one? The prices are within say 20 bucks or so, I realize neither of these are really good skimmers, but hell it is only 28 gallons, so I think either shoulkd be able to keep up.

2)Should I put the salt and sand water etc in for a few days before I put in the live rock?

3) Should I be running the protien skimmer during the cycleing process?

4) I have heard that I should not be really running my lights during the cycle? Is this only if you are using un-cured live rock?

Sorry for the long post, I just have seen so many conflicting opinions regarding #2,3,4.

DOO-E
06-14-2004, 06:29 PM
You should place the live rock right on the glass so that when your fish and other critters dig it wont topple the rock and hurt something. Although you should premix and get the water to the right temperature. If you add liverock you should put a skimmer in so it gets all the organic die off that the rock gives off. I ran my lights when i had my cycling going and i had LR and fish. If you have stuff growing on your rock light will help. Hope this helps.

DOO-E
06-14-2004, 06:29 PM
You should place the live rock right on the glass so that when your fish and other critters dig it wont topple the rock and hurt something. Although you should premix and get the water to the right temperature. If you add liverock you should put a skimmer in so it gets all the organic die off that the rock gives off. I ran my lights when i had my cycling going and i had LR and fish. If you have stuff growing on your rock light will help. Hope this helps.

AJ_77
06-15-2004, 01:51 AM
Sounds like a great tank!

As to your questions: I don't have time to go into them right now. :biggrin:

These topics have been discussed in depth at www.nano-reef.com. Have you read all the threads and articles there? TOns o' help!

RobbAdams
06-15-2004, 02:57 AM
OK, for question 1 I have located a used BakPak Skimmer from the gent I am getting the bow front from tomorrow! So I know this is rated as a great skimmer.

as for Question 2,3,4 I think I have gotten answers from Nano-reef.com. From what I could gather leaving on the Actintic light only is reccomended. I am also going to Skim from day one, as I don't really care how long the cycle takes, as buying all the other stuff has pretty much Wiped out my savings!! :eek: