PDA

View Full Version : Coraline question

Dez
08-24-2002, 05:02 AM
I have a question, has anyone ever had their coraline algae die off on them? I had such good growth on my glass and powerheads....then when I woke up this morning, most of the coraline on my powerhead is turning white. Everything tests out fine (calcium at 420, alk at 10, Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrite - 0, ph 8.3...and don't have kits for anything else. I thought it might be phosphates? I did start feeding daily from once every few days because I recently added a school of Anthias and they need to be fed daily (at least). Anybody have any thoughts? I hope it doesn't continue dieing...

Thanks guys,

Des

djbravoleader
08-24-2002, 05:14 PM
You didnt by chance change your lighting?? or move your lighting?? That will cause the coroline to fade away. This is a subject that it up in the air per some people are not sure why this happens (only the coral know he,he,he). I wouldn't get to bent on this per in the years iv'e been into saltwater and the ocean iv'e seen the stuff come one day and leave the other. One more thing for thought is something could be eating it (live rock hitchhiking critters) smile.gif

titus
08-24-2002, 07:34 PM
Hello,

Coraline is usually one of the hardiest thing for an established tank. Assuming your test results are a-ok, there's really not much to contribute to coraline bleaching. Unless of course, there was a significant temperature swing, change in salinity, or prolonged exposure to air.

What brand of test kits are you using though?

Titus

Dez
08-24-2002, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys.... Tony, your answer seems to make the most sense. I did just do a water change, and the only coraline algae that did go white was near the top of my tank where it was exposed to air...makes sense. since my powerhead is up at the top, only the top portion went white. This is the first time that I've drained water from my main display, I usually drain it from the sump, but I was isolating the sump this time for some reason. Thanks everyone...

Des

[ 24 August 2002, 16:17: Message edited by: Dez ]

Dez
08-25-2002, 04:23 AM
bump...

anybody?

Delphinus
08-25-2002, 04:37 AM
Hi Dez,

It's hard to say. Sometimes coraline comes and goes. If there is a lot of calcium draw in your tank, it is possible that the coraline is simply being outcompeted.

Other possible causes are wild swings although I doubt high phosphates could be your cause. I know for sure nitrates do not impede coraline growth; my tank with the fastest coraline growth has had nitrates at times >60ppm and still no coraline bleaching.

Temperature swings could potentially be a cause though. I've also had coraline die off after a water change; and sometimes during the water changes any coraline exposed to air at the top of the tank turns white even after only a few minutes of exposure.

PS. Not that it really matters, but typically when only 12 hours has transpired and only one other message has been posted to the whole forum during that time, it typically isn't required to "bump" the message forward. Besides, if people have any sensibility they should be outside today enjoying one of the last weekends of summer with this awesome weather, so give them some time to respond. Just my $0.02... YMMV. ;)

billc
08-26-2002, 03:43 AM
I almost think you anwered your own question..
Been there done that..

smile.gif