PDA

View Full Version : LF: clams

khan82
06-23-2013, 07:33 AM
PM me price n pic please

khan82
06-24-2013, 12:19 AM
can anyone please atleast tell me where i can buy online and they will ship to Canada?

wiggie
06-24-2013, 03:12 AM
From what I've heard the importation is now banned into Canada. So basically... You can't, legally anyway. You have to buy one from someone here. I have a couple but never shipped livestock personally.

khan82
06-24-2013, 03:17 AM
From what I've heard the importation is now banned into Canada. So basically... You can't, legally anyway. You have to buy one from someone here. I have a couple but never shipped livestock personally.

but the aqua cultured should be fine, right?

wiggie
06-24-2013, 03:21 AM
I have no idea. This is just what I've been told down the grapevine I don't know the details myself. Fragalot.ca has a couple I think and you might phone j and l and see if they have any leftover.

khan82
06-24-2013, 03:30 AM
I have no idea. This is just what I've been told down the grapevine I don't know the details myself. Fragalot.ca has a couple I think and you might phone j and l and see if they have any leftover.

Thx....yeah they are both out of stock...i found someone in ontario but they are charging me $50 for shipping....

gobytron
06-24-2013, 03:12 PM
You can;t bring in clams anymore from certain areas of the world.
LFS can still get clams, but they will be fewer and far between and be much more expensive.

I know fragalot had a few clams for sale...

KPG007
06-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Check out J&L and King Ed. They usually have clams in regularly. If not, just be patient and keep an eye on Canreef.

gobytron
06-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Check out J&L and King Ed. They usually have clams in regularly. If not, just be patient and keep an eye on Canreef.

Used to be true.
But due to the changes in importation regulation, this is no longer the case as is mentioned in this thread.

jjntm
06-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Importation laws have changed... this is correct... unless you have previously picked them up, it sounds like it will be a LONG time before getting any more... unless you are going to risk your own livelyhood and smuggle it accross the border, ****ting yourself the whole time wondering if you will be locked up for it...lol...

on a side note... I have debated selling mine for a bit, and am on the fence, as it looks out of place in my 220 gal sps dominant display tank, doesn't help that it is getting huge....Picture doesn't do it any justice, but this is the Ult grade XL Teardrop squamosa. Pic doesn't rly do it any justice as the color looks washed and dull in the photo. but here it is, paid $180 last year from fragalot when it was 2/3's the size it is now... pm me if interested.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y523/JJntm/IMG_0012_zpse0a02f3d.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y523/JJntm/IMG_5297_zps137f0182.jpg

Here is a pic for more of size referencing, this is my 220 gal display, it is in front of the bottom right side of the archway (middle of tank)

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y523/JJntm/IMG_5291_zpsa4c4564e.jpg

JTang
06-24-2013, 08:33 PM
Used to be true.
But due to the changes in importation regulation, this is no longer the case as is mentioned in this thread.

No wonder why so many ppl pm'ed me when I posted my crocea last week! I should have asked for more! Haaha!

reefwars
06-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Importation laws have changed... this is correct... unless you have previously picked them up, it sounds like it will be a LONG time before getting any more... unless you are going to risk your own livelyhood and smuggle it accross the border, ****ting yourself the whole time wondering if you will be locked up for it...lol...

on a side note... I have debated selling mine for a bit, and am on the fence, as it looks out of place in my 220 gal sps dominant display tank, doesn't help that it is getting huge....Picture doesn't do it any justice, but this is the Ult grade XL Teardrop squamosa. Pic doesn't rly do it any justice as the color looks washed and dull in the photo. but here it is, paid $180 last year from fragalot when it was 2/3's the size it is now... pm me if interested.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y523/JJntm/IMG_0012_zpse0a02f3d.jpg

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y523/JJntm/IMG_5297_zps137f0182.jpg

Here is a pic for more of size referencing, this is my 220 gal display, it is in front of the bottom right side of the archway (middle of tank)

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y523/JJntm/IMG_5291_zpsa4c4564e.jpg

the regulations arnt for squamosa's , and it is regional so the two species affected are t. maxima and t. crocea but only if canada does not already have an existing agreement with the country of origin.

this does not mean the end to clams or those species it just means some places are going to be harder to get them out of while some places are not affected at all.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96964&page=2&highlight=clam

gobytron
06-24-2013, 08:43 PM
the regulations arnt for squamosa's , and it is regional so the two species affected are t. maxima and t. crocea but only if canada does not already have an existing agreement with the country of origin.

this does not mean the end to clams or those species it just means some places are going to be harder to get them out of while some places are not affected at all.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96964&page=2&highlight=clam

Supply and Demand.
If our supply has been cut off then demand will go up along with prices while availability goes down.

Talk to any LFS right now and they do not even know if/when they can bring in more maxima/crocea clams.

khan82
06-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Your pictures are just making me want them more! :cry:

reefwars
06-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Talk to any LFS right now and they do not even know if/when they can bring in more maxima/crocea clams.

i work at a lfs and do the ordering for livestock, i get to see the order lists on a daily/weekly basis as they come in and i talk to the suppliers reguarily, i just did a maxima order of about 10 clams a few weeks ago , like i said its certain areas not all areas and its certain clams not all clams.

supply and demand has always been a factor long before regulations.

gobytron
06-24-2013, 10:37 PM
So you'll have 10 clams coming in at the same price as they used to sell for?
same quality and everything?

Exactly...
supply and demand.

Can you explain then how this will NOT affect supply and demand, since you clearly understand the concept?

reefwars
06-24-2013, 10:41 PM

Exactly...
supply and demand.

Can you explain then how this will NOT affect supply and demand, since you clearly understand the concept?

again depends on where they come from and type of clams , like i said some clams wont make it to canada( tahiti ) while some will ( vietnam) and so i can still get certain clams from certain areas for yes the same price while some clams i could get years ago i cant get now.

a lfs may mark them up because of supply and demand ( as always) but not all will.

this may change as we negotiate with the countrys of origin but not a guarantee.

i have been working with some suppliers who are trying to get the proper paper work between our countrys and theirs but isnt a fast or easy process.

reefwars
06-24-2013, 10:43 PM

Exactly...
supply and demand.

when did i say it wouldnt effect supply or demand now your just putting words in my mouth. i said supply and demand was always a factor and that will never change , what one store marks up to another is their own thing so demand in YOUR area may be diff then mine no?

reefwars
06-24-2013, 10:44 PM
this is quoted from your thread sure from one of the key players in clam imports into canada

" The issue with T. maxima and T. crocea is a result of the new Health of Animals Regulations that are overseen by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. These molluscs are on the susceptible species list due to the fact that they can carry Perkinsus olseni.

The new regulations require an import permit (separate from CITES) from a country of origin that has a negotiated agreement with the Canadian government. All imports will require the import permit as well as a health certificate from the approved country of origin.

This still means that the two species of clams are available for import. Just now it requires a little bit more work."

gobytron
06-24-2013, 10:49 PM
So my point here is that due to regulatory changes, clams would be harder and more expensive to get and would be seen less frequently than in the past.

What is yours?

reefwars
06-24-2013, 10:50 PM
So my point here is that due to regulatory changes, " some " clams would be harder and more expensive to get and would be seen less frequently than in the past.

What is yours?

fixed that for ya:)

reefwars
06-24-2013, 10:52 PM
my point wasnt to you or to argue with you about something that is fact but to clarify that it isnt all clams and isnt all areas so in simple yes the regulations will bring the price up and availability less.......but not for all clams only certain types from certain areas.

thats it.... no argument just fact that has been stated previously.

cheers

denny

gobytron
06-24-2013, 10:53 PM
LOL....only took you a few posts.

Congrats.

reefwars
06-24-2013, 10:53 PM
LOL....only took you a few posts.

Congrats.

thanks i try lol

cheers buddy

denny

gobytron
06-24-2013, 10:54 PM
sorry.
didn't take it as an argument at all.
Just felt you were essentially saying the same things I was and couldn't figure out why.

khan82
06-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Can I get my clam now? :p

reefwars
06-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Can I get my clam now? :p

yes i guess we can alow that:P

sorry for the hijack:)

cheers

denny