PDA

View Full Version : Live rocks in sump

reefme
06-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Is it good idea to have live rocks in sump? Will it collecting debris?

Razor
06-22-2013, 07:44 PM

I'm going with live rock in mine, it increases the biological filtration.

The Guy
06-22-2013, 08:27 PM
I'm going with live rock in mine, it increases the biological filtration.
+1 absolutely is a good idea

Cliff
06-22-2013, 09:26 PM
I always like to have as much live rock in my set-ups as I can.

I have live rock and macro algae in both of my sumps. I also keep a powerhead in the live rock compartment to keep stuff from settling in there

I use filter socks on the drain line to prevent stuff from getting in the sump

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-22-2013, 09:48 PM
In my 90g wide sump, I've had as much as 100+ lbs of extra live rock in there. Extra biological filtration.:wink:

Myka
06-22-2013, 11:30 PM

Yes, it will collect detritus - even if you use a filter sock. You should remove the rock and clean the sump out every few months or whenever you see detritus building up.

Most reef tanks will have plenty enough nitrifying bacteria with even a small amount of live rock. The limiting factor is usually the anaerobic denitrifying bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen gas (and other "stuff"). These bacteria live within the rock and there needs to be a significant population to make a significant dent in the nitrate. For this reason, putting a bunch of live rock in the sump does have benefit. However, if the rock in the sump is allowed to collect detritus and isn't cleaned then the decaying detritus will add to the nitrate in the system, which makes the excess rock a moot point. :D

xenon
06-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Our frag tanks have liverock exclusively in the sump.

Just make sure you use filter socks and its all good.

reefme
06-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Yes, it will collect detritus - even if you use a filter sock. You should remove the rock and clean the sump out every few months or whenever you see detritus building up.

Most reef tanks will have plenty enough nitrifying bacteria with even a small amount of live rock. The limiting factor is usually the anaerobic denitrifying bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen gas (and other "stuff"). These bacteria live within the rock and there needs to be a significant population to make a significant dent in the nitrate. For this reason, putting a bunch of live rock in the sump does have benefit. However, if the rock in the sump is allowed to collect detritus and isn't cleaned then the decaying detritus will add to the nitrate in the system, which makes the excess rock a moot point. :D

Listen to you and fill up with rocks. Is it OK to put it in the skimmer's section?

Myka
06-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Listen to you and fill up with rocks. Is it OK to put it in the skimmer's section?

I don't like to have it in the skimmer section simply because the rock will shed little rock chunks when you move it around and you don't want any pumps sucking that up. So all pumps should be in the skimmer section, and ideally the return chamber will be separated from the rock chamber (or at least put a strainer basket on the suction for the return pump).