PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I'll be nuking my tank :(

emeraldeyes_bc
06-20-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm sooo upset. I have put so much into this silly thing already, my son has been anxiously waiting his first fish and now after 2 months of excitedly waiting and watching, I'm going to have to rip it apart and start over... I'm SOOOO frustrated. if my poor ASD son didn't want it so bad there's NO way I would do it again. I can see why many drop out of this hobby

Anyway... Now that I've vented.... I discovered that I have Cirolanid Isopods :( all the reading I've done I've basically found there's nothing that will get rid of them other than starving them out with a fishless tank at least 6 months and attempting to catch them... I think I can probably just start from scratch and be up and running fresh faster than that :(.
I think the part that ****es me off the most is that I paid for these little suckers on some live rock :badword: ugh

Any tips on how to sterilize the tank, rock, etc??

Aquattro
06-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Easy to get rid of these. Get a small jar, tie a piece of string around the top, add some fresh fish as bait and hang it in the tank at night. I cleaned my 90g of these in about 20 minutes.

Aquattro
06-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Oh, pull it out every couple minutes and dump the isopods, repeat until there are no more in the jar.

KPG007
06-20-2013, 09:19 PM
I found this (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/bp/index.php) on line.

Also wondering if interceptor would kill these?

Aquattro
06-20-2013, 09:20 PM
I found this (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/bp/index.php) on line.

Also wondering if interceptor would kill these?

I just read that article, glad I didn't read it before my fishing trip. It makes it sound hopeless.
Seriously, a spice jar and 20 minutes caught 8 isopods out of my tank. Never saw another after that. It was kinda fun too :)

xenon
06-20-2013, 09:25 PM
There are a few solutions in this article:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/bp/index.php

emeraldeyes_bc
06-20-2013, 09:25 PM
I've read of a few people trying to trap them but they always make their way back....is it really possibly to completely rid them all??

Evilweevil
06-20-2013, 09:32 PM
How did you identify them ?? Do you have a picture ? Are your sure your not mixing them up with something else?

i have crabs
06-20-2013, 09:34 PM
I cought a bunch with a chunk of shrimp in a glass, just kept pulling it out and getting rid of the isopods, took 1 or 2 nights but i never seen them again

Aquattro
06-20-2013, 09:39 PM
I've read of a few people trying to trap them but they always make their way back....is it really possibly to completely rid them all??

I did. Having a yellow tang, when they were in the tank, you knew it. All of them attached to the tang at once, and very quickly. I'm probably stretching it when I say 20 minutes, it was likely less. Never saw another in 2 years of running that tank full of fish.

Aquattro
06-20-2013, 09:39 PM
How did you identify them ?? Do you have a picture ? Are your sure your not mixing them up with something else?

They're quite big, and match the photos if you google them.

emeraldeyes_bc
06-20-2013, 09:43 PM

Well I had been watching them crawling around (and multiply) for awhile thinking they were the 'good' kind of Pods (I'm an extreme noob and google everything lol). Well, the other night I had spotted a crab hitchhiker so I was setting a trap to catch him. thats when one latched on to my arm and drew blood :sad: I figured they probably weren't so 'friendly' and started researching and came across the Cirolanids.

Aquattro
06-20-2013, 09:49 PM
thats when one latched on to my arm and drew blood

That appetite is what makes them easy to catch :)

Evilweevil
06-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Well I had been watching them crawling around (and multiply) for awhile thinking they were the 'good' kind of Pods (I'm an extreme noob and google everything lol). Well, the other night I had spotted a crab hitchhiker so I was setting a trap to catch him. thats when one latched on to my arm and drew blood :sad: I figured they probably weren't so 'friendly' and started researching and came across the Cirolanids.

Ahhhh ok that's a pretty positive identification method I guess !! Just fish them out with your arm :)

emeraldeyes_bc
06-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Ahhhh ok that's a pretty positive identification method I guess !! Just fish them out with your arm :)

Lol I'd rather not use my arm as bait :p