PDA

View Full Version : tanks and supplies in calgary

fishguyxd
06-14-2004, 04:27 AM
what everyone's opinion on inter-american tanks with overflows or not and there pricing compared to other stores around the city I want to get a 75 gal with skimmer and sump not sure what brand of sump yet (have looked at a oceanic and i think its called ss at big al's ???.one uses bioballs, and is a trickle type hell all new to me and the other uses filter type foams etc .Any suggestions on a skimmer ,heaters etc and who to buy from.
please and thanks.

AJ_77
06-14-2004, 03:52 PM
If you're able, you should just start visiting all these stores, as many as you can get to. Gather all the information you can from these and the Internet, and then sort through it all. Read all the customer reviews on the Net and in magazines, and then you can filter your information for what might apply to your own situation.

To ask these kind of questions won't really help you unless you're willing to do the work as well, and find out after many months of browsing and research what appeals to you personally.

Also, you might try to see as many hobbiests' tanks as will allow you, that is the best way to see which types of setups are in your ballpark as far as price, effort, time and aesthetics.

As for IA, when you search the boards for people's experiences with them you'll get an idea of what to expect. Local customers seem to get better service as long as they're patient and/or tenacious. Otherwise just order your tank and sump from your LFS and let them asnwer to you. Either way, you can order what you want. But do the research first, OK?

:biggrin:

mr_alberta
06-14-2004, 03:59 PM
I honestly think you can save youself some big money if you don't go and buy a prefabricated sump. I think it would be the cheapest to look over at www.buysell.com and find a used tank to use for a sump.

As for interamerican, I have heard mixed things about them. There was actually a couple of threads on the board recently about them.

Quinn
06-14-2004, 04:01 PM
I agree, make your own sump. It's quite simple.

Do a search for "IA", "Inter-American or "InterAmerican" on this board and you should find plenty of reading material.

Robw
06-14-2004, 04:30 PM
I researched my tank setup for at least 2 months before buying anything. I started with an Iwaki water pump but it was too loud and switched to a CSL T-4 which is totally silent. I also made a diy sump from a couple of rubber maid containers and acrylic after finding some examples on the web. My first skimmer was a diy venturi type. I agree the others about reading all you can before buying anything.

Rob

danny zubot
06-15-2004, 03:24 PM
I agree with the do it yourself method for as much as you are able to do. New prefab. sumps can run you up to $600.00, where as building say a 33 gallon will cost you less than a quarter of that. Go see some sumps in action, you may find a a style that works for you because not all sumps are built for the aquarium....rather to draw in the aquarist. You've already made the right first steps in joining Canreef, the best source for free advice and info.