PDA

View Full Version : AEFW Warning for Lower Mainland area!!!

mikepclo
06-19-2013, 07:53 PM
*WARNING TO ALL MEMBERS!!*

Heard this guy went to LFS to sell off some Rare frags Strawberry shortcake,Ora Hawkins,Pink Jade etc but was told to leave as it had AEFW and is now selling them on Canreef.

Aquattro
06-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Another warning. Every coral frag you buy from any source can and likely does have some sort of pest on it. If you do not dip your corals, you WILL infect your tank eventually. Take responsibility as a consumer and practice safe fragging. If you contaminate your tank, it's your own fault.

Dez
06-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Be careful, pregnancy might happen...

Bblinks
06-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Fresh cut frags are probably the safest bet but even than there is no guaranties. I would advise on a quarantine tank for all in coming corals but not all of us have the space or the cash to invest in another tank that can hold sensitive corals for 4-6 weeks before transferring to the main tank and that's me included. Also try to purchase corals that looks to be in good health, stay away from poor condition corals even if you think you are getting a deal. Moral of the story is BUYER BEWARE!

Bblinks
06-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Be careful, pregnancy might happen...

Too late x 2 lol

Lovecolor
06-19-2013, 08:42 PM
What is it called?

mrhasan
06-19-2013, 08:46 PM
What is it called?

CoralRX/RPS all out

Bblinks
06-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Revive (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/searchpage.php?product_name=revive&all_keywords=product_name&manufacturer=&Submit.x=-250&Submit.y=-217&Submit=Submit) at JL

Zoaelite
06-19-2013, 08:57 PM
I didn't think any dip currently on the market killed the eggs of this species?

mrhasan
06-19-2013, 08:59 PM

RSP all out "claims" to kill every possible pest including eggs. Don't know how much truth is there in that claim but that dip is freaking strong! It smells like it can kill people.

Rogue951
06-19-2013, 09:03 PM
It nuked a colony of sps I sold to OP. He said in the span of a day(hours?) coral went from my tank and healthy to white. After dip.

Bblinks
06-19-2013, 09:04 PM
There is a thread on rc about the rps all out. Pretty interesting but again dip cut and reglue on frag plugs is probably the best practice besides a quarantine tank.

Aquattro
06-19-2013, 09:05 PM
dip cut and reglue on frag plugs is probably the best practice besides a quarantine tank.

Agreed.

Bblinks
06-19-2013, 09:05 PM
It nuked a colony of sps I sold to OP. He said in the span of a day(hours?) coral went from my tank and healthy to white. After dip.

Ask him again.

mikepclo
06-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Let's get back to topic here. This thread is a heads up on a dirty seller not dipping. And I thought members would appreciate this but guess not...

Another warning! Do not post warning regarding dirty sellers as you will get comments like this:

Take responsibility as a consumer and practice safe fragging. If you contaminate your tank, it's your own fault.

So selling dirty corals is ok on this forum? By your comments here and on other warning on the another thread that makes it seem like you don't find any immoral issues here. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what you come off ass. Oopps I mean "as".

Yes buyers beware as many pest out there and we should all dip our corals but there's a difference between a seller knowing or not knowing that their corals are infected. Dirty sellers do have responsibility as they would careless if they crash and spread other members tanks for profit. But than again I could be wrong again as I'm new here.

Another warning. Every coral frag you buy from any source can and likely does have some sort of pest on it. If you do not dip your corals, you WILL infect your tank eventually. Take responsibility as a consumer and practice safe fragging. If you contaminate your tank, it's your own fault.

mikepclo
06-19-2013, 09:49 PM
I read a review on reef central that it did not kill AEFW eggs.

Zoaelite
06-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Yes buyers beware as many pest out there and we should all dip our corals but there's a difference between a seller knowing or not knowing that their corals are infected. Dirty sellers do have responsibility as they would careless if they crash and spread other members tanks for profit. But than again I could be wrong again as I'm new here.

I see both sides, Brad speaks the truth even if he is blunt about it. That being said as a community these posts are appreciated, informing the community is THE best form of quarantine out there.

Tn23
06-19-2013, 09:55 PM
I think mike is just simply trying to give everyone a heads up and warn some of the newer members which may not have as much experience. I am sure no one wants go and buy frags which contain AEFW, and if they did at least have the seller let the buyer know so they can be aware.

Thanks Mike, appreciate the warning :thumb:

Aquattro
06-19-2013, 09:59 PM
So selling dirty corals is ok on this forum? By your comments here and on other warning on the another thread that makes it seem like you don't find any immoral issues here. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what you come off ass. Oopps I mean "as".

No, what I'm saying is that you should consider all frags "dirty". I have contacted the seller you reference and asked that he clarify in his post. If he knows about it and is trying to flog them anyway, especially at a premium price, his account won't work much longer.
Moral issues aside, I find that as a consumer of frags, I NEED to make sure I practice due diligence on my own, and not trust any seller. That's the only way to ensure my tank stays pest free. Which is why I posted. It's important to make that distinction, as trusting someone's morality is going to end with your tank infected. So if the corals are infected, treat them. It's easy. And they are nice pieces. There's no need to go blasting someone publicly, especially if you personally have not been involved.

If there are concerns like that, contact one of the staff, and we'll look into it. I see no problem selling them if it's declared. If he's trying to minimize his own losses by lying, then I'm all over him and he's gone.

Just trust me on this, it's a bigger issue than some guy selling frags. One vendor I know of is probably singlehandedly responsible for all the red bugs in western Canada. No, not naming names. Everyone needs to treat their frags. Period.

Aquattro
06-19-2013, 10:00 PM
I see both sides, Brad speaks the truth even if he is blunt about it.

I think the term was ass :)

Lovecolor
06-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Personally I greatly appreciate the heads up on the AEFW - or any other pests diseases that will infest or infect my tank. Also it is nice know that the sellers / fragger or what ever else live your selling will not kill the beautiful life I/ we have already watched grow in the tank. From here on in I'm getting some dip & certainly will be more diligent. Also Courtesy is priceless !

Aquattro
06-19-2013, 10:02 PM
I think mike is just simply trying to give everyone a heads up and warn some of the newer members

Yes, which is why I left it up. But my point is that for every PSA, there will be 10 guys selling frags that are unknowingly infected. So I'm telling the new members that assume they're all bad. Because most probably are. I have to say, it's rare that I've bought a frag that didn't have something bad on it. 7 out of 10 do.

Bblinks
06-19-2013, 10:14 PM
I totally agree with you Mike. Its different when you are unaware but flat out lie and deceive people into buying YOUR DYING CORAL IS JUST WRONG.

tang daddy
06-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Yes, which is why I left it up. But my point is that for every PSA, there will be 10 guys selling frags that are unknowingly infected. So I'm telling the new members that assume they're all bad. Because most probably are. I have to say, it's rare that I've bought a frag that didn't have something bad on it. 7 out of 10 do.

Brad put it well, even if your friends grandma is selling you coral don't trust it.....

Dip everything and try to qt.

reefwars
06-19-2013, 10:16 PM

i agree with you brad i dip all new frags or corals that go into my tank , i never guarantee anyone my frags are pest free infact i tell people even though i dip and treat for many diff types of pests to redip themselves as a precaution and for good practise that ways both partys did the best they could.

one of the most common questions i get at the store is " should i dip my corals?" or " do i really need to dip my corals?" in which case the answer is absolutely yes , IME dips arnt enough and QT should be done but at the very least a dip, and now a days dips are not hard to find and theres plenty to choose from so no real reason not to dip and its user friendly and not something left for experienced reefers but for anyone to use ..

not dipping is as bad as not quarantining new fish , youll get lucky for a while but eventually if your in the hobby long enough you will be bit.

fact is if you buy corals you prob buy pests , so its on us to protect our own systems. i dont think i would ever take anyones word for it that their corals are pest free nor their tanks the only person i trust is moi and the only person i blame is moi:)

yes selling pests and not telling the buyer about it if you know yourself you have them is def bad and not good selling practise, i hope thats not the case though but i bet it happens more than enough.

Bblinks
06-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Brad put it well, even if your friends grandma is selling you coral don't trust it.....

Dip everything and try to qt.

Amen to that. Dirty grandmas.

reefwars
06-19-2013, 10:18 PM

lol thats just wrong :P

reefwars
06-19-2013, 10:19 PM
personally i think there should be a sticky about dipping and other coral practises in the buy and sell livestock , more so for those who do not know what pests to look out for no?

albert_dao
06-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Since when did dipping prevent AEFW? C'mon guys, we know better than that...

Thanks Mike!

mikepclo
06-19-2013, 10:38 PM
I was trying to be as discrete as possible. :twised:

There's no need to go blasting someone publicly, especially if you personally have not been involved.

:clap2:

I think the term was ass :)

Agreed!..Great idea
personally i think there should be a sticky about dipping and other coral practises in the buy and sell livestock , more so for those who do not know what pests to look out for no?

That's what I've read all this time and I thought I was missing something here as I'm just a newb here. Thanks for confirming Albert! :mrgreen:

Thanks Mike!

ScubaSteve
06-19-2013, 10:42 PM
If the guy is trying to sell afflicted frags knowingly, then a PSA is warranted. If it was unknowingly, there are more subtle and diplomatic ways of dealing with it. Threads like this are going to get everyone's hackles up and it will turn into the usual bitch-fest. My gut feeling from the sellers thread is that he was probably oblivious to the fact. I'm not part of this shmozzle, so I can't say for certain. You say he got turned down by JL because of it, who knows.

I've picked up red bugs twice from other reefers, one of them a good friend (until I learned to just dip the damn things). Both times I contacted them and politely said "hey, we've both got a problem here". Both times they were unaware, both times we helped each other source interceptor and treat the tanks. No hard feelings and I still keep in touch with them. That problem ended up building bridges and acquaintances.

If I came on here going "so-n-so's a sumuvabitch and selling dirty frags with red bugs", I wouldn't just be burning bridges, it'd be scorched earth. Everyone's gonna get all up in arms and at each others throats. So what did that achieve really?

I have sympathy for the OP because I've been there, it sucks. But at the same time, like Brad said, assume every frag - friend or foe - is carrying something nasty and its your responsibility to take precautions. Ultimately, the health of your tank is in your hands. That's why you're also not getting a ton of sympathy, not the fact that we support people selling "dirty frags".

PS. I'm not saying that dipping is a cure all. Inspect your frags as well! Look for eggs! I have a cheap magnifying glass specifically for this reason.

PPS. Not taking sides nor saying you're wrong. I sympathize and it sucks. Just saying that PSAs aren't necessarily going to get the response or result you're hoping for.

Aquattro
06-19-2013, 10:44 PM

Thanks Mike!

Dips have always removed any I've found. Not the eggs, but there are no eggs on the tissue itself. I always cut the frag off the base, dip, and I'm good.

mikepclo
06-19-2013, 10:45 PM
RSP all out will take care of dirty grandmas as well.

Oh another warning!!
Wear eye protection when using RSP all out! :wink:

Bblinks
06-19-2013, 10:47 PM
RSP all out will take care of dirty grandmas as well.

Oh another warning!!
Wear eye protection when using RSP all out! :wink:

should've mention that. all fun and games until you get rps'ed in the eye. lmao

Thanks for the awesome afternoon laugh.

albert_dao
06-19-2013, 10:52 PM
Dips have always removed any I've found. Not the eggs, but there are no eggs on the tissue itself. I always cut the frag off the base, dip, and I'm good.

Brad, with the utmost respect, this is delusional, haha. I've had flatworms transferred to my corals despite both dips and snipping corals off plugs -- ON THREE OCCASIONS. The solution? Huck all my acros into the garbage and wait three months. Pain in the ass.

Aquattro
06-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Sorry Albert, but dipping coral, squigley things fall off, check under scope, they're worms. Check frag, no more worms. Sorry you haven't had the same experience. Does it always work? No idea, I only came across them twice. But it does work, IME.

tang daddy
06-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Dipping definately stuns the dirty grandmas and blasting with the powerhead will loosen their grips....

Although the eggs are a different story, they stick like hot glue on a birdy's feather even scraping them doesn't really get them off. That's why it's good practice to lose the plugs they're on. Freshcuts are always preferred.

mikepclo
06-19-2013, 11:33 PM
First of all I did not say it was JL, dunno what you read and it wasnt btw.I trust my sources which are well known and respectable members here and that's why I THOUGHT WAS GOOD IDEA IF MEMBERS KNEW. And this isnt about me so dunno why you are bringing me into this like I'm craving attention or drama, which is rude btw. I think your missing the point here, it's a warning and if it prevented anyone from buying than I did get the result I wanted. And why do I need sympathy???for???? I'm confused here.

Since you dont like pages causing hackling than what do you expect to get out of your comments?I'm confused again...no joke here.:sad:

Oh I don't keep quit btw, I fight hard for what I believe is right.

If the guy is trying to sell afflicted frags knowingly, then a PSA is warranted. If it was unknowingly, there are more subtle and diplomatic ways of dealing with it. Threads like this are going to get everyone's hackles up and it will turn into the usual bitch-fest. My gut feeling from the sellers thread is that he was probably oblivious to the fact. I'm not part of this shmozzle, so I can't say for certain. You say he got turned down by JL because of it, who knows.

I've picked up red bugs twice from other reefers, one of them a good friend (until I learned to just dip the damn things). Both times I contacted them and politely said "hey, we've both got a problem here". Both times they were unaware, both times we helped each other source interceptor and treat the tanks. No hard feelings and I still keep in touch with them. That problem ended up building bridges and acquaintances.

If I came on here going "so-n-so's a sumuvabitch and selling dirty frags with red bugs", I wouldn't just be burning bridges, it'd be scorched earth. Everyone's gonna get all up in arms and at each others throats. So what did that achieve really?

I have sympathy for the OP because I've been there, it sucks. But at the same time, like Brad said, assume every frag - friend or foe - is carrying something nasty and its your responsibility to take precautions. Ultimately, the health of your tank is in your hands. That's why you're also not getting a ton of sympathy, not the fact that we support people selling "dirty frags".

PS. I'm not saying that dipping is a cure all. Inspect your frags as well! Look for eggs! I have a cheap magnifying glass specifically for this reason.

PPS. Not taking sides nor saying you're wrong. I sympathize and it sucks. Just saying that PSAs aren't necessarily going to get the response or result you're hoping for.

Bblinks
06-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Brad, with the utmost respect, this is delusional, haha. I've had flatworms transferred to my corals despite both dips and snipping corals off plugs -- ON THREE OCCASIONS. The solution? Huck all my acros into the garbage and wait three months. Pain in the ass.

I think if you check the frag thoroughly, dip hard, cut and then reattach back on a "clean plug", chances are you should be 99% in the clear.

kien
06-19-2013, 11:37 PM
I have Designer and Limited Edition AEFW if anyone is interested, PM me. Apparently none of the LFS' want to buy them off me.. *sadface*

Aquattro
06-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Anyway, yes, somewhat of a good idea, if not perfectly executed, to warn other members. Sorry if I came across as an ass but basically I'm pretty much an ass.
The seller has contacted me and stated that the frags are no longer for sale and he did not know about the worms. Ok..

But my comments stand. All frags can and likely are infected with something, and should all be treated. If your dip doesn't kill flatworms, and you don't have a microscope, well, you're probably screwed.

Aquattro
06-19-2013, 11:39 PM
I have Designer and Limited Edition AEFW if anyone is interested, PM me. Apparently none of the LFS' want to buy them off me.. *sadface*

shipping??

Bblinks
06-19-2013, 11:43 PM
First of all I did not say it was JL, dunno what you read and it wasnt btw.I trust my sources which are well known and respectable members here and that's why I THOUGHT WAS GOOD IDEA IF MEMBERS KNEW. And this isnt about me so dunno why you are bringing me into this like I'm craving attention or drama, which is rude btw. I think your missing the point here, it's a warning and if it prevented anyone from buying than I did get the result I wanted. And why do I need sympathy???for???? I'm confused here.

Since you dont like pages causing hackling than what do you expect to get out of your comments?I'm confused again...no joke here.:sad:

Mike has a valid point. This is just a fair warning.

Bblinks
06-19-2013, 11:44 PM

It sounds commercial...lol How much for a frag? $150?

Reef Pilot
06-19-2013, 11:47 PM
Did I just read earlier that RPS is not safe to use. I have a bottle, but haven't tried it yet. Don't want to kill any corals, if that is what it does??

mikepclo
06-19-2013, 11:48 PM
All depends if he's selling by aefw count lol

Group buy???Rich you can receive :mrgreen:

Aquattro
06-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Did I just read earlier that RPS is not safe to use. I have a bottle, but haven't tried it yet. Don't want to kill any corals, if that is what it does??

I've got a bottle at home and a bunch of frags. I'll test it this week and see what happens.

Bblinks
06-19-2013, 11:55 PM

Nah, its fine Walter, I have personally used it on even the most sensitive sps frags without any problems. Follow directions though...don't leave it in there for too long.

Coral Hoarder
06-20-2013, 12:08 AM
im sory this is such a newbie question what does AEFW stand for ?

mikepclo
06-20-2013, 12:16 AM
Acro eating flatworm

im sory this is such a newbie question what does AEFW stand for ?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

albert_dao
06-20-2013, 12:16 AM
0____0

AEFW don't just lay eggs on the base/dead skeletal tissue of the corals. Occasionally, you can find egg clusters on fleshy/branching tissue as long as it is well away from a polyp. I've confirmed this with a magnifying glass. Now what are my options?

I find it difficult to comprehend that I am of the 1% 'sorry for your bad luck' bracket of experienced reefers (three times over, notwithstanding). But here's the deal, I get to talk to dealers all the time and their sentiments and experiences echo mine.

A dip and clip is not a 99-100% surefire means of preventing AEFW. You know what is? NOT PUTTING THE FRAG IN YOUR SYSTEM.

x 10,000

albert_dao
06-20-2013, 12:22 AM
In any case, let's play devil's advocate for a moment here:

Let's say someone bought the frag unknowingly, but lending their trust to the seller. What if they simply assumed, given the value and visible condition of the frags, that the seller had clean corals.

Buyer: Canreef, help, my acros are dying. I found these little clear dudes on it. They look like this [pic]. What do I do?

Canreef: Those are AEFW's. They will eat your acros.

Buyer: Oh noes! How do I get rid of thems?

Canreef: You're F---'d. Tough love son. Your fault for not dipping, noob.

Seems legit.

Reef Pilot
06-20-2013, 12:31 AM
Nah, its fine Walter, I have personally used it on even the most sensitive sps frags without any problems. Follow directions though...don't leave it in there for too long.
OK, thanks, good to know.

This AEFW talk has me more thng a little spooked. It took me a long time to get my tank to a condition that I can now finally grow SPS. Sure would hate to have all that ruined. I haven't QT'd my new corals yet (just dipped), but maybe I need to start.

canadianbudz604
06-20-2013, 12:51 AM
I would be pretty ****ed if I bought 2 frags for 250$ and not only did they die, but the aefw spread and kill the rest of my acros too. But I learned my lesson the hard way About adding corals and not dipping. 5 weeks of constant dipping washing and pulling my hair out made me never stick a coral in my tank again without treating or dipping first. Sometimes it's good to get a warning.

ScubaSteve
06-20-2013, 01:18 AM

Hey, let's bring it down a notch. I'm not trying to pick a fight or **** you off, nor was I trying to be offensive.

Sorry I was mistaken, I read LFS and brain went to JL for some reason. My bad. From reading it sounded as though you or a couple people ended up getting AEFW; if you did, I'm sorry and I feel for you. It sucks. If you didn't, my misunderstanding - it seemed like you had. I didn't say you were craving drama or attention.

After reading through the whole thread and seeing people get up in arms when Brad says "take responsibility for your own stuff" I thought it was getting kind of silly. I think I was responding more to:

"So selling dirty corals is ok on this forum? By your comments here and on other warning on the another thread that makes it seem like you don't find any immoral issues here. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what you come off ass. Oopps I mean "as"."

No one here was implying that. Brad, myself and others said the same thing, maybe too bluntly: ultimately you're responsible for your tank, and no, no one is supporting selling "dirty" frags.

I really do appreciate you posting a warning about a guy selling infected frags, especially if the guy was doing it maliciously. From what I was seeing it didn't necessarily seem like he was and it felt like the reaction was a bit over blown. That's why I said something. The other member was being publicly strung out like a leper. If he was being malicious, great burn him at the stake. Or, as Brad said, a simple note to the mods could have just as well been an effective first step to getting rid of that problem.

JL gets colonies in shipments that have AEFW and they try to deal with it the best they can (typically they just toss the colony), however, you can't catch them all. We don't go and cause a huge kerfuffle if one of their colonies has AEFW, right?

Far too often around here many threads just turn into ****ing matches and catfights. Does that really bring up the quality of this forum? My point was more to the point that people need to temper their responses. While your intentions were good, I saw this ending up as people all up in a tizzy and bitter because of the way it was being handled. It's the kind of stuff that drives membership away. People being publicly crucified for having a pest, accusations of having no morals and supporting selling of "dirty" frags... There are more constructive ways of dealing with problems than that. We can be better than that around here.

I'm sorry if you understood it as me point a finger at you or chastising you. It wasn't meant as such and I apologize if it came across that way. Like I said, I'm not involved in the issue, I don't know all the facts, I'm not taking any sides. Just like you, I believe in what I think is right. While I appreciate your good intentions, I didn't believe the responses I was seeing were the most appropriate.

lastlight
06-20-2013, 01:23 AM
anyone here ever try bio-pellets?

i'm on the fence as i've heard both good and bad about them.

albert_dao
06-20-2013, 01:24 AM
anyone here ever try bio-pellets?

i'm on the fence as i've heard both good and bad about them.

Why you gotta faux-diffuse the situation? The lances were drawn and horses armored...

mikepclo
06-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Like I said, this was just a friendly warning to members here. Take it for what it is.

Thank you! :)

Hey, let's bring it down a notch. I'm not trying to pick a fight or **** you off, nor was I trying to be offensive.

Sorry I was mistaken, I read LFS and brain went to JL for some reason. My bad. From reading it sounded as though you or a couple people ended up getting AEFW; if you did, I'm sorry and I feel for you. It sucks. If you didn't, my misunderstanding - it seemed like you had. I didn't say you were craving drama or attention.

After reading through the whole thread and seeing people get up in arms when Brad says "take responsibility for your own stuff" I thought it was getting kind of silly. I think I was responding more to:

"So selling dirty corals is ok on this forum? By your comments here and on other warning on the another thread that makes it seem like you don't find any immoral issues here. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what you come off ass. Oopps I mean "as"."

No one here was implying that. Brad, myself and others said the same thing, maybe too bluntly: ultimately you're responsible for your tank, and no, no one is supporting selling "dirty" frags.

I really do appreciate you posting a warning about a guy selling infected frags, especially if the guy was doing it maliciously. From what I was seeing it didn't necessarily seem like he was and it felt like the reaction was a bit over blown. That's why I said something. The other member was being publicly strung out like a leper. If he was being malicious, great burn him at the stake. Or, as Brad said, a simple note to the mods could have just as well been an effective first step to getting rid of that problem.

JL gets colonies in shipments that have AEFW and they try to deal with it the best they can (typically they just toss the colony), however, you can't catch them all. We don't go and cause a huge kerfuffle if one of their colonies has AEFW, right?

Far too often around here many threads just turn into ****ing matches and catfights. Does that really bring up the quality of this forum? My point was more to the point that people need to temper their responses. While your intentions were good, I saw this ending up as people all up in a tizzy and bitter because of the way it was being handled. It's the kind of stuff that drives membership away. People being publicly crucified for having a pest, accusations of having no morals and supporting selling of "dirty" frags... There are more constructive ways of dealing with problems than that. We can be better than that around here.

I'm sorry if you understood it as me point a finger at you or chastising you. It wasn't meant as such and I apologize if it came across that way. Like I said, I'm not involved in the issue, I don't know all the facts, I'm not taking any sides. Just like you, I believe in what I think is right. While I appreciate your good intentions, I didn't believe the responses I was seeing were the most appropriate.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

jorjef
06-20-2013, 01:39 AM
I like Captain Crunch....

jorjef
06-20-2013, 01:49 AM
What???... Nobody else likes Captain Crunch?

Aquattro
06-20-2013, 01:49 AM
What???... Nobody else likes Captain Crunch?

Off of carbs, sorry.

FishyFishy!
06-20-2013, 02:15 AM
Will adding a Protein Skimmer to my system reduce the risk of getting these AEFW?

This thread has me terrified..

mrhasan
06-20-2013, 02:46 AM
Will adding a Protein Skimmer to my system reduce the risk of getting these AEFW?

This thread has me terrified..

Skimmer takes off dissolved organics. FW is undissolved organics. So no :razz:

hunggi74
06-20-2013, 03:05 AM
I've only begun my tank and have only purchased 5 frags so far. I have to admit I have not dipped any of them before adding them to my tank. After reading this entire thread, I will be dipping all frags going I into my tank! So a big thanks to OP (mike?) for posting and everyone else who chimed in... Even Tang Daddy for bringing up dirty grandmas. The warning has been noted! Now where can I get a good coral dip for a Softies and LPS tank?

tang daddy
06-20-2013, 04:35 AM
I've only begun my tank and have only purchased 5 frags so far. I have to admit I have not dipped any of them before adding them to my tank. After reading this entire thread, I will be dipping all frags going I into my tank! So a big thanks to OP (mike?) for posting and everyone else who chimed in... Even Tang Daddy for bringing up dirty grandmas. The warning has been noted! Now where can I get a good coral dip for a Softies and LPS tank?

You can buy Revive at Jl. I am glad this thread has educated some people about dipping corals before adding to their tank.

mattr
06-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the warning!
I admit seeing threads like this could get annoying but I rather see one like this once a while then have my corals destroyed.

Thanks again!

reefermadness
06-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Red bugs is one thing Brad (easily removed with a safe in tank treatment, also redbugs rarely if ever has been responsible for the loss of an acro). AEFW is a whole other ball game.

Also any seller who knows he has either pest should at the very least inform the potential buyers. Otherwise you arent being honest. JMO

Aquattro
06-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Also any seller who knows he has either pest should at the very least inform the potential buyers. Otherwise you arent being honest. JMO

Oh, absolutely. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, and if we see that, the poster is gone. My point is only that one should assume that all frags are infected and treat, inspect and deal with accordingly. If I get a frag that has AEFW and I can't remove them, it goes in the garbage. I'm lucky that I have a scope and can check, but I think you can probably see them with a magnifying glass. Just saying always check.

reefermadness
06-20-2013, 02:11 PM
I agree Brad, you can't assume that everyone is honest or even that everyone with a pest even knows that they have it.

It just seemed like the attitude was a shady seller was getting a pass and all the emphasis put on the buyer. The buyer needs to be diligent for sure but we should also encourage good honest selling IMO.

daplatapus
06-20-2013, 02:17 PM
It's been mentioned before, but I'd love to see a sticky in the corals section about dipping, precautions and inspection of corals. When you're inspecting your corals what are you looking for and where? How strong of magnification is your scope to see these things? What dips are good for SPS, LPS, soft corals? There's a good learning opportunity here for a lot of us.
From personal experience, I've often blindly dipped my stuff in Coral R/x looked at the coral with my naked eye not really knowing what I should be looking for. I've somehow introduced flatworms in my system despite my efforts (which obviously haven't been educated enough).

Aquattro
06-20-2013, 02:26 PM
I agree Brad, you can't assume that everyone is honest or even that everyone with a pest even knows that they have it.

It just seemed like the attitude was a shady seller was getting a pass and all the emphasis put on the buyer. The buyer needs to be diligent for sure but we should also encourage good honest selling IMO.

I did speak to the seller, who said he did not know, and that he felt really bad and withdrew the items for sale. Without knowing otherwise, we have to assume that's reasonably true, and it just bothers me to see a post attacking someone when we don't have all the facts. No mention of whether anyone that bought frags contacted him for a refund or resolution, outcome of that contact if it happened, etc. It was just a lynch mob post, and I think the seller has to be assumed innocent until proven otherwise. I've bought frags from several top members here that had pests of some sort, and imagine if I posted something like this as a first response. It would ruin the reputation of the member, it would cause a thread much like this and at the end of the day, nothing good would have come from it. I would have also lost friends in the process.
If situations like this occur, it's best to contact the staff to discuss, and if we see it as a benefit to the board, we'll contact the seller and post a PSA if needed. Assembling a mob and fetching a rope is not the best approach to this type of issue :)

Aquattro
06-20-2013, 02:27 PM
It's been mentioned before, but I'd love to see a sticky in the corals section about dipping, precautions and inspection of corals.

If we can find someone (Mindy) to write an article on this, we'll certainly post her (Mindy) article as a sticky.

reefermadness
06-20-2013, 03:02 PM
So diplomatic Brad..hah Again I agree. I was speaking in generalities and not about this specific seller. I was just reading the post and forgot it was about one seller in particular.

Kudos to anyone who admits they have a pest and puts a stop to selling.

Also fair to point out like Brad mentioned not all accusations are going to be correct so we can't assume someone is guilty.

I did speak to the seller, who said he did not know, and that he felt really bad and withdrew the items for sale. Without knowing otherwise, we have to assume that's reasonably true, and it just bothers me to see a post attacking someone when we don't have all the facts. No mention of whether anyone that bought frags contacted him for a refund or resolution, outcome of that contact if it happened, etc. It was just a lynch mob post, and I think the seller has to be assumed innocent until proven otherwise. I've bought frags from several top members here that had pests of some sort, and imagine if I posted something like this as a first response. It would ruin the reputation of the member, it would cause a thread much like this and at the end of the day, nothing good would have come from it. I would have also lost friends in the process.
If situations like this occur, it's best to contact the staff to discuss, and if we see it as a benefit to the board, we'll contact the seller and post a PSA if needed. Assembling a mob and fetching a rope is not the best approach to this type of issue :)

mikepclo
06-20-2013, 04:36 PM
This is exactly how I felt after seeing another fellow members warning post on the sellers thread but was replied with same type of response from Brad. So this thread was made as I didn't feel confident anything was going to be done. If you guys feel like this is a lynch fest than so be it. I do apologize to members that I've offended in this thread but I still stand by my warning.

Reef Pilot
06-20-2013, 04:50 PM
What it comes down to is whether or not the seller knew his frags had AEFW when he was still posting them for sale on canreef. Was this after he went to the LFS? If so, then indeed he is getting a free pass.

It would be helpful (especially to the seller) if he could explain to us what happened and when. Mistakes do happen, but if not explained, people will assume the worst, you can bet on that.

Aquattro
06-20-2013, 05:22 PM
This is exactly how I felt after seeing another fellow members warning post on the sellers thread but was replied with same type of response from Brad. So this thread was made as I didn't feel confident anything was going to be done. If you guys feel like this is a lynch fest than so be it. I do apologize to members that I've offended in this thread but I still stand by my warning.

I don't think you've offended anyone, and perhaps I could have stated my point in a better way. It is, of course, always our goal to help each other out, I'd just prefer to ramp up slowly to public blast. :)

jorjef
06-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Who thinks they can do a better job than Brad??? I don't see anyone raising their hand... What a god awful position to be in.. Sheriff, mediator, judge and jury, giver of hugs when someones feeling have been hurt. He did ban me once so hey gotta give him credit for that!! Lock this redundant collection of opinions and lets move on...

Aquattro
06-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Who thinks they can do a better job than Brad???.

volunteers?? Anyone?? :razz:

mikepclo
06-20-2013, 05:56 PM
From what I've been told it was before he posted on Canreef. And for sure we would like hear from the seller as he made no attempt to clear his name on this thread or his when warned about his frags had aefw.

What it comes down to is whether or not the seller knew his frags had AEFW when he was still posting them for sale on canreef. Was this after he went to the LFS? If so, then indeed he is getting a free pass.

It would be helpful (especially to the seller) if he could explain to us what happened and when. Mistakes do happen, but if not explained, people will assume the worst, you can bet on that.

Agreed! Thanks Brad :mrgreen:

I don't think you've offended anyone, and perhaps I could have stated my point in a better way. It is, of course, always our goal to help each other out, I'd just prefer to ramp up slowly to public blast. :)

Rice Reef
06-20-2013, 07:10 PM
volunteers?? Anyone?? :razz:

Brad, you are Canreef's Judge Dredd. Just joking. Brad you are one of te most level headed, and respected person I know in this hobby therefore I would nominate you. :smile:

Aquattro
06-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Brad, you are Canreef's Judge Dredd. Just joking. Brad you are one of te most level headed, and respected person I know in this hobby therefore I would nominate you. :smile:

Thanks Wayne. I think...lol

mrhasan
06-20-2013, 07:22 PM

+1. No matter how harsh Brad comes out, his decision is always right for the forum :) I guess the "harsh" part solely constitutes his experience ;)

Aquattro
06-20-2013, 07:25 PM
+1. No matter how harsh Brad comes out, his decision is always right for the forum :) I guess the "harsh" part solely constitutes his experience ;)

Well, it's mostly that I mean well, but I have a bit of a filtering problem sometimes. :razz:

kien
06-20-2013, 07:30 PM
shipping??

Absolutely, but I have no Arrive Alive guarantee, sorry.

Nothing commercial about it man. I'm just a hobbyist who likes to collect AEFW like anyone else. My Limited Edition collection at the moment consists of "Tiny Tims", "Slim Shadys" and "Flatirons". All are healthy and completely tank raised so you don't have to worry about any environmental impacts. Not only do they look cool, they are also beneficial in a mixed reef where they will help control the overgrowth of Acropora.

All depends if he's selling by aefw count lol

Group buy???Rich you can receive :mrgreen:

I sell by count but can also make up AEFW packs. PM me !

Also, I am starting to crossbreed them so look for new designer breeds from me in the near future!

Aquattro
06-20-2013, 07:32 PM
How can we be sure there are no corals attached to them?

mrhasan
06-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Absolutely, but I have no Arrive Alive guarantee, sorry.

Nothing commercial about it man. I'm just a hobbyist who likes to collect AEFW like anyone else. My Limited Edition collection at the moment consists of "Tiny Tims", "Slim Shadys" and "Flatirons". All are healthy and completely tank raised so you don't have to worry about any environmental impacts. Not only do they look cool, they are also beneficial in a mixed reef where they will help control the overgrowth of Acropora.

Also, I am starting to crossbreed them so look for new designer breeds from me in the near future!

Do they need purple clove polyps to breed and sleep?

Acrowhora
06-20-2013, 07:44 PM
lol..i know a few reefers that could use some of your collectors/LE AEFW,as their tanks are infested with awesome acros.Absolutely, but I have no Arrive Alive guarantee, sorry.

Fort
06-20-2013, 07:57 PM
It is pretty simple quarantine anything you put in one of your tanks. If you don't it is your own fault if your tank wipes.

The good thing is this post has lead to people being reminded how important quarantineing livestock is. :lol:

jorjef
06-20-2013, 08:09 PM
^^^^^^ :laluot_08: ^^^^^^

jorjef
06-20-2013, 08:13 PM
....... Okay.

Proteus
06-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Most lfs don't dip corals here and I was dumb enough to not dip. Now that tank is clean I use RPS on all pieces regardless of where they come from.

Skimmerking
06-21-2013, 02:06 AM
Most lfs don't dip corals here and I was dumb enough to not dip. Now that tank is clean I use RPS on all pieces regardless of where they come from.

If we can find someone (Mindy) to write an article on this, we'll certainly post her (Mindy) article as a sticky.
Oh god just make sure she doesn't say this is her article. Like all the other ones she copied and pasted as her own :pop2: right kien

Zoaelite
06-21-2013, 03:43 AM
*Hands Mike a Snickers Bar*

Skimmerking
06-21-2013, 04:10 AM
*Hands Mike a Snickers Bar*

Lol thanks