PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Osmolator Nano

mattr
06-19-2013, 01:09 AM
I'm thinking of getting a Tunze Osmolator Nano but dont like the fact that it only comes with one sensor.
My question is do you guys think that the sensor that comes with it can get clogged up or stuck in the on position?

volcomsnow12
06-19-2013, 02:42 AM
I have one and it only runs for 15 secs I think may have to check that number and if you open the controler as the instructions say you can double the time. It's good for a larger volume tank don't know if I would put it on my 5 gallon. Hope that helps

mrhasan
06-19-2013, 03:43 AM
I'm thinking of getting a Tunze Osmolator Nano but dont like the fact that it only comes with one sensor.
My question is do you guys think that the sensor that comes with it can get clogged up or stuck in the on position?

Its an optic sensor instead of float switch. Very slim chance of such occurrence.

freezetyle
06-20-2013, 04:27 AM
Its an optic sensor instead of float switch. Very slim chance of such occurrence.

The nano only has a float switch.

And there are two different settings. you can let it run for a max of 15 seconds or a max of 30. Decent little unit when you factor in the pump and everything.

mrhasan
06-20-2013, 04:34 AM
The nano only has a float switch.

And there are two different settings. you can let it run for a max of 15 seconds or a max of 30. Decent little unit when you factor in the pump and everything.

Oh sorry for the wrong info. I looked into the wrong section at their website :redface:

gregzz4
06-20-2013, 05:45 AM
Personally, I wouldn't trust it anymore than a $50 auto-topoff setup with the same kind of float
I'm surprised Tunze has offered this as their sensor eye setup is failsafe to near perfection, so why would they want to sully their name when this kind of unit causes negative feedback after they fail

For the record, I use 2 of their Osmolators and have found the float backup to be of great use
I have it setup to stop the pump in case of mutliple power outages/restarts as it will cut the pump power and not over fill
But I would never go without the sensor eye :smile:

FishyFishy!
06-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Personally, I wouldn't trust it anymore than a $50 auto-topoff setup with the same kind of float
I'm surprised Tunze has offered this as their sensor eye setup is failsafe to near perfection, so why would they want to sully their name when this kind of unit causes negative feedback after they fail

For the record, I use 2 of their Osmolators and have found the float backup to be of great use
I have it setup to stop the pump in case of mutliple power outages/restarts as it will cut the pump power and not over fill
But I would never go without the sensor eye :smile:

Agreed. The optic sensor is 1000 times better and much safer. With the backup float, you're golden.

That being said... I hate their pumps. I replaced 3 pumps in 2 years. When my new build is all set up, I am going to get the 12V adapter so I can run a MaxiJet1200 instead.

asylumdown
06-21-2013, 12:14 AM
+1 on the optical sensor being a superior option. FWIW, I've modified a regular Tunze osmolator to run on my 4 gallon pico. It's an expensive way to do it, but it works like a charm. I did however have to ditch the emergency float cut-off to do it, but I'm confident enough in the sensor that I haven't lost any sleep over it.