PDA

View Full Version : bubble algae and hair algae

Capt_kulafu
06-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Hello reefers

any idea how to get rid those crappy algae?
my friend said UV filter/sterilizer? this is a good idea????

my tank is 29G
I have two emerald crab
4 snails
led lights turn on in 8 hrs
I did every 2 weeks water change

thanks

Bryan_k47
06-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Lawn mower blenny will eat that hair algae I'm sure. Must have phosphate issues though. Should look into getting that under control
As for the bubbles. I just gently pick them out with tweezers. Lol

Wayne
06-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Sorry but I have to disagree with Bryan about the tweezers. If you pop a buble algea with the tweezers you will release the spores and you will have even more! The emerald crabs should eat all your bubble algea that theycan get at.

As for the hair algea I agree with Bryan that you may have phosphate problem. Hair algea could be there for a lot of reasons though, if you have any test results that you could post would be great. How long has the tank been running? Where is the algea localized?

My initial suggestion is that you rinse any frozen foods, if your using tap water or RO water from the grocery store that you double up on your declorinator and that you increase your water changes to every week till things get back under control. If phospates are a problem I recommend using small amounts of GFO and making sure you find the source (not rinsing food, overfeeding, basic husbandry, leaching from live rock...)

There is some reading for you could do if your more interesting about the subject: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44860

Bryan_k47
06-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Gentle hands :-)