PDA

View Full Version : Dry Rowaphos ?

paddyob
06-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Has anyone ever seen dry Rowaphos?

I ordered a 1000g from Jl. It was short 97g. I know as I was sharing it and had to weigh it.

Jl sent me 100g of what they said is Rowaphos to make the difference up.

Problem is... It looks like regular GFO. Dry and red. The instructions in the Rowaphos pack say do not let it dry up.

So did I get Rowa or was I sent a cheaper substitute?

Bblinks
06-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Hard to say, I have used HC gfo that's dry and red so it might not be the rowa brand but still hc gfo. I would just call jl and ask, pretty sure they wouldn't just give you crap.

paddyob
06-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Hard to say, I have used HC gfo that's dry and red so it might not be the rowa brand but still hc gfo. I would just call jl and ask, pretty sure they wouldn't just give you crap.

I emailed them and they said its Rowa from a store bucket. They were very quick to send it and the service is definitely good.

Just looking to see if anyone knows more than me about Rowa... Being a first time user.

Also concerned as the instructions said don't let it dry. If its bone dry... Is it affected negatively or Is it just dry?

PurpleMonkey
06-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Not too sure but I believe Rowaphos is Iron hydroxide (GFO is granular ferric oxide). Don't know if you can rehydrate it though.

Good read: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/

neoh
06-18-2013, 12:05 AM
make sure to rinse it until clear when using it, and don't overdo it! Depending on the tank size, tablespoons should do. Some people have noticed their zoas melting from rowaphos - I had some melt on me, however; by the time I figured this out and stopped the reactor, it was too late for them.

I turned off my media for about a week to check for any negative/positive reactions - and nothing came about, so I ran it again. Still, no reaction. My phosphates don't seem to be going up or down, and staying at 0.

If you have a phosphate problem, run it with a few teaspoons and gradually add a little every few weeks when changing the media and see if you notice any results.