PDA

View Full Version : Help. Help

sea gnome
08-25-2002, 02:41 PM
Yesterday I noticed that one of the green chromis had some abrasions on the side before I did a water change. I have noticed it before and he is fine. After doing water change and tank cleanup I noticed that one of three clumps of xenia doesn't look as happpy as it does usually.

Today on getting up the abrasions on chromis look worse and even more awful is "Stripey" our six line wrass who is breathing fast,looks like he has ich and some funny glistening spots on head area. He doesn't want to eat and looks near death. What is wrong? I use only ro/di water from store ( it is shut for mechanical problem yesterday and today, maybe something bad in water?). My chemistry is fine has been stable for months. Yesterday the make uup water pump had stopped working, no oil slick or funny smell to it so I used it. Used windex to clean glass. Only used it 3x in past and always with canopy on except yesterday, but I didn't spray it on but poured it onto cloth first. The temp. in tank has been very stable throughout summer.

I am going to do a water change now with the 5g of water I have left, should I use tap water for rest or leave it be. I have a well and supposed good quality, used it for last tank with few problems. My on ro/di sylstem goes in next week. I think I need to do major water change.

Possible problems, poor water from store, pump contaiminated make up water (looks like impeller got sand in it and has scratched magnet part, ?magnet shavings in water.

The fish I have had for 2years, I don't know what I'll do if I lose all the livestock as I have just started tank from scratch in new year and have spent so much money already. I am so worried about my fish and the future health of the tank. Any suggestions welcome.

Rachel

Aquattro
08-25-2002, 03:52 PM
Rachel, add some carbon and do a water change. Most likely cause of the ones listed is water from the store. If they just changed the membrane and didn't run a few gallons thru it, that could cause problems. RO membranes have an anti-bacterial coating on them.
Magnet shavings won't do it and I've used Windex for years. Make sure there is lots of circulation to help the wrasse breath. Make sure your skimmer is functioning well also. If the water from the store added something, carbon should help a lot. Also make sure everyone is accounted for.

reefburnaby
08-25-2002, 05:38 PM
Hi,

If your fish are stressed or frightened, then they will tend to breath a little faster. IMHO, I would say the six line is a bit stressed...from what...I don't know. In case the water change had some contaminants, I would also run carbon.

As for doing more water changes, I would use water from a reliable source -- like a local reefer with a RO or RO/DI or from the supermarkets. Supermarket RO water (not spring water smile.gif ) isn't the greatest...but it should work for emergencies. And I would not use tap water (makes things worse).

As for the possible ick breakout, I would start lacing the fish food with garlic. This will help the remaining fish from contracting ick.

Hope that helps.

- Victor.

StirCrazy
08-25-2002, 06:17 PM
Rachel, if you need some water, I can do about 5 gal in 30 to 40 min of RO/DI so if you wanted to stop by after supper I could do some for you. just PM or e-mail me and let me know

Steve

Aquattro
08-25-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by StirCrazy:
Rachel, if you need some water, I can do about 5 gal in 30 to 40 min of RO/DI so if you wanted to stop by after supper I could do some for you. just PM or e-mail me and let me know

Steve<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have some made and can do the same volume as Steve if you need some.

sea gnome
08-26-2002, 01:21 AM
Thanks Steve and Brad, I might take you up on the offer of water tomorrow night after work. Will try and phone you from work tomorrow. The xenia is revived and the chromis doesn't look worse, maybe a bit better. tongue.gif I noticed Stripey has a "thing" hanging from his anus, maybe it is a blockage???? I am already using garlic in food and wonder if I should track down some multi-vits. I will pick up some carbon hopeful tomorrow as well. Thanks for all your suggestions.

I have been looking for Stripey for a hour now and haven't seen him...... :( . I fear for his safety!!!