PDA

View Full Version : confused candy cane coral?

Graham_f
06-15-2013, 06:00 AM
Is it normal for candy canes to only open up and look alive after the lights go out?
when the lights are on it looks dead, almost like it has no soft tissue at all. After they are out, it stretches out like you'd expect and looks mostly healthy.

is this normal?

Myka
06-15-2013, 06:15 AM
Is it new to the tank? What type of lighting is it under? How far is it from the water surface? It sounds to me like it may be getting too much light. Do you have pumps that have a night mode where they run at a lower speed? If so, maybe it is receiving too much flow during the day.

mrhasan
06-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Is it new to the tank? What type of lighting is it under? How far is it from the water surface? It sounds to me like it may be getting too much light. Do you have pumps that have a night mode where they run at a lower speed? If so, maybe it is receiving too much flow during the day.

+1. That's how candy cane reacts if its getting too much light.

Graham_f
06-15-2013, 01:44 PM
interesting. its about a week old and under led's running at a max of 50%( still acclimatizing from the old t5 setup)
no night mode for the pumps and its sitting in a nice sheltered spot on the bottom of the tank... maybe 22" from the light.

should i move it or just give it some time to get used to the light? its not bleaching or anything like that

Bblinks
06-15-2013, 05:09 PM
check to see if anything is nipping at it during the day, copper band, filefish etc etc and if you want, you can cut off the bottom of a 2l pop bottle and poke some holes in it and put it over the candy cane and see if it opens up.

Graham_f
06-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Ha, I don't have any of those fancy fish. Just a bicolor blenny, three chromis and a diamond goby.
I have never seen any of them bothering it but ill keep that in mind. And I'll move it to a shaded area today and see if that makes things better .

Thanks for the help... This forum is awesome

Myka
06-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Shaded area is a good idea. LPS generally take a long time to acclimate to more intense lighting.

Graham_f
06-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks, this is my first Lps. Anything else I should know?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-16-2013, 12:11 AM
I found that the neon green trumpets don't like bright lights at all.