PDA

View Full Version : Cheap as frag

Baker
06-13-2013, 03:32 AM
So I told Reefwars that I didnt have time to post a tank journal and due to unfortunate circumstances I have to start a new frag tank so I thought 'what the hell'. This will be my 5th tank and have now discovered that I like growing coral more than I do fish. So I decided to set up a 20 gallon long tank with a AC110 filter/fuge mod and another little HOB filter. This will be an assorted frag tank with a little bit of everything in it. I will be focusing more on rare zoas and palys. There will also be a bit more of acropora(secret love affair). If I have to put a skimmer I will but Im hoping I dont have to. Since its a 30" long tank my only real option when it comes to t5's(i know, i know, the LED guys are probably shaking their heads) is a 36" light. Im debating whether I should go with a 2 bulb or a 4 bulb.(suggestions welcome) Im inluding a couple of pictures just to get things going. Enjoy!

ScubaSteve
06-13-2013, 03:49 AM
Im debating whether I should go with a 2 bulb or a 4 bulb.(suggestions welcome)

If you're going to go SPS, I'd do a 4 or 6 bulb fixture personally. With your width I think you'll be looking at a 4 bulb T5.

How are your handy skills? If you're up for it, you could build yourself a pair of 100W LED multichip pendents for about $65 ea. Just sayin'...:wink:

spit.fire
06-13-2013, 04:11 AM
If you're going to go SPS, I'd do a 4 or 6 bulb fixture personally. With your width I think you'll be looking at a 4 bulb T5.

How are your handy skills? If you're up for it, you could build yourself a pair of 100W LED multichip pendents for about $65 ea. Just sayin'...:wink:

Got any links for where to get LEDs for that cheap?

ScubaSteve
06-13-2013, 04:38 AM
Got any links for where to get LEDs for that cheap?

Why yes, sir, I do!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20473408

http://www.3reef.com/forums/led-aquarium-lighting/multichip-diy-led-135601.html

Google brings up plenty more. I've been pricing it out as well. Instead of an eBay LED, I think I might take a crack at Milad's Lumia 5.1.

mrhasan
06-13-2013, 05:09 AM
4 bulb T5. You can't accommodate more than that and the amount will be perfect for that tank.

Baker
06-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I decided to go with a 36" 4 bulb Tek light. The price and timing was perfect so I couldnt resist. I have the tank all set up, the filters are running, and its heated. This probably wont be the most exciting thread but hopefully there will be some really nice stuff in the tank. I havent hung the light(still deciding on how to hang it and looking for hardware) yet so its just sitting on top. I havent gotten my fuge light yet so there is no chaeto in the fuge but its a start anyways. Im probably doing alot of this wrong but its fun anyways.

gobytron
06-14-2013, 09:49 PM
I have a couple of old hob skimmers (prizm and rio nano) I'd send to you if you wanted to pick up the shipping.

Baker
08-16-2013, 04:39 AM
Well this was an epic fail. If this was my only tank then I maybe could have made it work. Decided to shut the tank down. Put my frags in my other tank and am going to re evaluate.

IanWR
08-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Sorry it didn't work out. What happened?

- Ian

reefwars
08-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Curtis if you want to give it a second shot I would be glad yo help y
ou set it up and show you a few easy tricks to turn your fragtank into something cool:)

You should come see my fragtank and I can give you some ideas and we wolf figure out why it didn't work for ya :)

Baker
08-16-2013, 05:36 PM
There were a few problems, the heat from my light was one. Some days I would get an 8degree swing. Second, my fuge light burnt out and because i got laid off from my job I couldnt afford a new one so algae was a problem. I wouldnt mind pickin up some stuff off you denny, so i can check it out when I can find the time. Another issue was finding the right amount of flow in the tank for sps.