PDA

View Full Version : Morish Idol or Banner Fish?

Steve...
06-12-2013, 04:06 AM
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone experienced keep a Morish Idol or Banner Fish? Please share experiences as I am considering either one. Very similar fish but I heard Morish Idols are hard to keep vs Banner Fish.

lpsreefer
06-12-2013, 04:09 AM
Banner fish are way easier.
I saw a few at oceans today.

RuGlu6
06-12-2013, 04:37 AM
I got a Moorish Idol from J&L 4 month ago, he was badly infected with ick, quarantined for 2 month, he is now eating and has been transferred to display tank.
very healthy and has his long fin recovered completely.
Eating seaweed and all other foods.
You can see him here (pic #1)
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97866
Rear fin has also now healed.

UV helps with this. But main thing is (i was told, don't know if this true) how fish was caught in the first place. If fish is eating before you buy it you have a very good chance.
jmtcw

George
06-12-2013, 04:53 AM
Banner fish for sure if you like that kind of fish (body, color and pattern). Moorish Idol is very difficult to feed. Even you have them feeding, you may not be able to keep them long term (years) may be because the food we feed them missing some essential nutrition for them in the wild.

daplatapus
06-12-2013, 12:57 PM
I had couple schooling banner fish in my tank for 8 months or so. Just providing a home for a friend while they moved and re-set up their tank. They are easy to keep. But they eat TONS and get quite big. They never really bothered any of my fish. From what I've experienced they need lots of room to swim. I wouldn't put them in anything smaller than a 6' tank with minimal rockscape.