PDA

View Full Version : Tank switchover

jonn46
06-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Hey All,

Sorry I don't post a lot but I thank everybody for how much I have learned on here.

I am currently looking at upgrading from my 46 to a 125. Lol I hope I don't start a huge debate here because I am sure there a lots of different opinions but here is my plan. I am thinking of doing the switch over all in one day. I have some new dry sand plus a bag of live but I am also thinking of taking some off of the top layer from my current tank. Oh also all of the live rock will be going over too. I am also thinking of connecting my current sump/refugium until every stabilizes and then setting up the new one. I know a few people have done it this way and not had any problems with cycles. What are your guys opinions?

Thanks
John

Proteus
06-10-2013, 01:12 AM
Yep you got a good plan. Use as much of existing water and prodibio start up is good to use. Good luck

jonn46
06-10-2013, 01:30 AM
I have ATM Colony, does anybody have any experience with it.

Proteus
06-10-2013, 01:41 AM
The only thing I would question is how old is it. I can't see it having a long term shelf life. Even zeo product have BB date

Depending on how much rock you have you should be ok for bacteria culture

freddy
06-10-2013, 01:49 AM
I just switched my 46 to my 75 took 4.5 hours,did a couple water changes days before the switchover and kept it heated and airated so I would have some extra water for the changeover that would be the same as the tank,worked good no losses or minicycles.

Proteus
06-10-2013, 01:52 AM
+1 on saving water

jonn46
06-10-2013, 02:05 AM
I actually have two bottles of it, the second I just picked up yesterday but I will check the date now that you mentioned it.

I have a small refugium full of rock and algae lol plus lots of creepy crawlies. I have quite a bit of rock currently in my tank but I also have been picking up more and I have it soaking in a 15 gal with circulation and a heater.