PDA

View Full Version : New Wrasses

paddyob
06-09-2013, 02:58 PM
I added a Melanurus and an Orange Back Wrasse yesterday. Both went into hiding.

I'm new to wrasses, so wonder , what's the norm for these kinda fish to hide in the sand while becoming used to the new tank?

A day. A few?

I have to say, watching a 3" Melanurus dive into the sand bed and barely disturb the surface is really neat. But I want him out. :)

Proteus
06-09-2013, 03:00 PM
They'll come out when ready. May even come out at lights out for a bit. But eventually they'd be accustom to your tank and be out during daylight hours

paddyob
06-09-2013, 03:15 PM
They'll come out when ready. May even come out at lights out for a bit. But eventually they'd be accustom to your tank and be out during daylight hours

Is there an approximate time, or is it individual? Just wondering as if I
Don't see them tomorrow, I'll probably worry. Lol.

Proteus
06-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Not really. A couple days is nothing but its not unheard of for a week or longer. Ime with melonarous is it may just stick its head out for a bit so just scan the sandbed once in a while.

But don't worry there both hardy fish

Myka
06-09-2013, 03:46 PM
10 days is not unusual.

paddyob
06-09-2013, 06:21 PM
And both are out. Quite surprised that they even ate my NLS pellets already too!

denny_CC
06-09-2013, 06:38 PM
melanarus are sand dwelling wrasses too so dont be surprised when you cant find it late in the day or evening;)

awesome guard dogs for unwanted pests.

duncangweller
06-09-2013, 06:41 PM
I added the same two wrasses and they disappeared for a day and then came out next morning. They are both great fish, the melanarus never stops looking for critters and I'm forever seeing him swim around with something sticking out of his mouth.

Enjoy,
Dunc

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

paddyob
06-09-2013, 06:59 PM
melanarus are sand dwelling wrasses too so dont be surprised when you cant find it late in the day or evening;)

awesome guard dogs for unwanted pests.

Maybe he will find and kill the little pistol shrimp that's been hiding in my rocks for 6 years. Never ever seen. No molts found but I can hear him. And see "new" shells developing from snails in a certain area of my tank.

This guy was previously NFS at Blue World. Big. Probably full grown at 4".