PDA

View Full Version : corals in trouble

MCC
06-12-2004, 08:04 PM
hello,

i was wondering how come some of the corals do not seem well....
espeically the mushrooms and colt coral....

it was fine yesterday but they r not expanding at all...and the colt coral is slanted on its side??!

this all happen after i put in a blue tang....

i tested the water..and the parameters seem fine...the salinity is at 1.022-1.023

i have weekly dosing of calcium, iodide, vitamins, and phytoplankton

lighting is from a 175watt metal halide with two 30watt atinics...on a 33 gallon tank..

can anyone tell me wat is happening asap

thanks...

Aquattro
06-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Sure. You need more salt, the ocean is 1.026. Also, why are you dosing all that stuff weekly? Didy ou test for it and find it lacking? A good rule si to never dose anything you don't test for. What are the levels of your Ca, alk and Iodine? What salt do you use? What source water? How often do you do water changes and what size? Outline all your parameters and we canthen get a better idea of what might be happening.

Scavenger
06-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Yup to what Brad said.

Also you say this happened after adding a fish. Did you get the fish shipped to you and did you get some of the supplier's water into your tank.
Sometimes they add meds, copper and other nasty stuff like oxygen tabs to shipped livestock. It is not recommended to get that water into your reef.

zulu_principle
06-12-2004, 10:39 PM
On another note, temp in lowermainland seems to be creeping up, is you tank temp increasing ??

Wendell

MCC
06-13-2004, 06:49 AM
thanks guys for your reply
the mushrooms and the colt coral is doin worse and worse

yeah i think i should stop dosin tos things
i just follow hte instructinos on teh bottle..."dose once per week"

okie try to increase teh alkanity tomlro to 1.026...

yeah i realized the temp is quite warm now...i think i should have the lights on at night tim eonly now..when the sun is down and my livin room is cooler....

i use instand ocean salt mix....and regular water from the tap...with dechlorinier...

Tanman
06-13-2004, 06:10 PM
have you tried ro water? works great for me and i think most do.
keeps down the amount of algae too :biggrin: