PDA

View Full Version : How many GHL mitras for my cube?

nickguay
06-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Hi, I have a 93 gallon marineland cube and I currently have a kessil A350W over it and it's not quite enough lighting for it. I'm thinking about GHL Mitras and would I be happy with just one unit over my cube or would two be needed? It's 24 inches high and 30x30 in terms of footprint

If two are neeeded, two Ecotech Radions would cost me quite a bit less than 2 mitras is what I'm also considering...

Advices would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Matt@NoLongerInUse
06-06-2013, 06:41 PM
one ghl should have more then enough spread and par for your tank

lastlight
06-06-2013, 07:23 PM
i currently use one on the exact same tank and i'm happy with the coverage. it's def shadier near the top of the tank at the back but i'm fine with that. in the future i may add another when the tank is filled in as it might be needed to avoid excessive over-shading.

i'm currently ramped up to 61% output and have the light about 4 inches off the surface. i'd get much better spread lifting it higher but can't due to the glare from the unit.

sphelps
06-06-2013, 08:10 PM
i currently use one on the exact same tank and i'm happy with the coverage. it's def shadier near the top of the tank at the back but i'm fine with that. in the future i may add another when the tank is filled in as it might be needed to avoid excessive over-shading.

i'm currently ramped up to 61% output and have the light about 4 inches off the surface. i'd get much better spread lifting it higher but can't due to the glare from the unit.

I'd lift the unit up and add some trim to the top of the tank before adding a second one. 4" is too low for this light, the minimum specified is 20cm, which is close to 8". Not to mention the trim will cost about $10 vs $1200 :wink:

One light is certainly all that's needed for this size tank.

lastlight
06-06-2013, 08:31 PM
can't compromise the looks with trim.

i've got lots of light for now. just measured i'm at 5" off the water. wife isn't home i'm going to sneak it up one more inch and see if she complains.

lastlight
06-06-2013, 08:43 PM
shows how much i pay attention. I've been doing gradual 1% increases and I guess I was at 66%. I'm now at 6" off water and 68%.

If she complains I might just make a narrow 6" strip of black plastic that can be placed on the trim directly across from the fixture's end as the glare is a very direct and focused bit of light that wouldn't require trim everywhere. Just that one spot couch side.

I'm sure at 8" and 100% I'd have next to no shadows even in the back.

LOVE THIS LIGHT.

wayner
06-06-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm sure she"ll be fine with one more inch 😃

lastlight
06-06-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm sure she"ll be fine with one more inch 😃

this is the only way that's going to happen so let's wait and see lol.

nickguay
06-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys, I'll just go with one then and for the custom bracket I'm going to get made for it, I'll ask for some extra holes... just in case I ever decide to put two :)