PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring and Controling

titus
06-12-2004, 06:15 AM
Hello,

Just curious. Pinpoint and Neptune are the norms in this hobby. But has anyone on this board tried using products from Hanna, Milkwakee the like? It appears they make tiny portable and affordable units. What is neat also is they also make sensors for you to build your very own complete all in one box monitoring and control system. Anyone went as far as writing their own micro-controller code and stuff?

Obviously by the time one build the micro-controller, as far as normal typical aquarium keeping is concerned, it'd be more expensive than buying a good Neptune system. But there is so much flexibility in this. For example, the fisheries department maybe using this alternative custom approach to montior and control their system. Anyone seen this happening?

Titus

StirCrazy
06-12-2004, 06:32 AM
I have used a Hanna PH pen that also showes temp from day one. never had a problem, it uses a 2 step calibration and is accurate to two decimal places. oh costs me 56 bucks a little over 2 years ago.

Steve

titus
06-12-2004, 06:42 AM
Hello,

So how come they are not like carried by more retailers? Any ideas? Like J&L don't have them for one thing.

Titus

UnderWorldAquatics
06-12-2004, 07:29 AM
I find the pinopoint to be well below my standards for me to ever use them again.... very unreliable
hanna, milwakee, medusa, la motte are all great companies!!!

StirCrazy
06-12-2004, 03:10 PM
Hello,

So how come they are not like carried by more retailers? Any ideas? Like J&L don't have them for one thing.

Titus

cuz the hydroponic shops sell them cheaper than J&L could. also a pen type is for checking once and a while.. well if I can convince you that it is better to have it monitored 24/7 then I can sell a model that I have a higher profit margin on IE. pinpoint :mrgreen: there is nothing high quality about pin point, the are average everyday made specifically for the industry units.

Steve

titus
06-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Hello,

There are also 24/7 units from Hanna I think.

Titus

Canadian Man
06-12-2004, 06:13 PM
I use a Milwake ph monitor myself. Been very happy with it! It's been in use for about 2 years.

reefhawk
06-12-2004, 06:48 PM
but some people tell me it is "lazy" reefkeeping. I think the more information one has the better. Suprised to hear comments about pinpoint moniters as i was led to believe they are the standard in the industry. Have a pinpoint salinity moniter i bought from J &L, when i asked about he told me it was more of a bell or whistle rather than a neccesity but I find it more reliable than those silly plastic dealies. Good thread i hope more people give some input.

saltcreep
06-12-2004, 07:27 PM
We've used Hanna, Milwaukee, and Pinpoint monitors. All three are adequate provided you clean the probes and calibrate the units on a regular basis. My preference on the pH monitor is the Pinpoint. This is because it reads to 2 decimal places. Not a big deal but just my preference.

Kyle
CMA

titus
06-13-2004, 03:56 AM
Hello,

Check this out. $710 for a YSI 60 pH meter! What is the difference from a Pinpoint pH meter?

Titus