PDA

View Full Version : Featured Tank: Summer 2013 "daniella3d"

Delphinus
06-05-2013, 07:42 AM
Summer is here! (For some, "Summer is finally here!" And so, perhaps, this featured tank is also finally here!)

For Summer 2013, we are looking to "la belle province", Daniella3d's 75g reef tank with an incredible palette of colours!

Please click on the picture below to check it out.

Congratulations Daniella3d, and thank you (merci!!) for sharing your system details with us!

http://www.canreef.com/ftotm/june13/images/thumbs/P5270683c.jpg (http://www.canreef.com/ftotm/june13/)

JmeJReefer
06-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Friggin sweet! Well done! That SPS overhang thing-ma-dingy idea is awesome! Curious about the process used to do that.? Other than that, it is a spectral punch to the pupils!

daniella3d
06-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks a lot for selecting my tank for the tank of the month contest!

For the overhang, I used a flat rock and used epoxy putty, tie wrap and fishing line to hold it in place. It was easier to do due to the fact that the rock have a base that is protruding under neat it and this gives it some stability.

Friggin sweet! Well done! That SPS overhang thing-ma-dingy idea is awesome! Curious about the process used to do that.? Other than that, it is a spectral punch to the pupils!

11purewater
06-05-2013, 12:26 PM
This tank is awesome!:biggrin:

daplatapus
06-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Tres bon! Félicitations. Bon travail !

Reef Pilot
06-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Very nice Daniella,... interesting that you do it all without a sump. And not a lot of flow either with just 2 1400 gph Koralias. But can't argue with your success. Very nicely laid out tank, with great colour, variety, and contrasts.

I didn't see your Copperband in your livestock list. What happened to him?

daniella3d
06-05-2013, 01:53 PM
thanks everyone :)

I sold my copperband to a friend because he started to attack my clams and corals. He was fine for 2 years, so that was very hard to do since I grew quite attached to it and its great personality.

He had no reason to pick at my clams and corals since I was feeding him like twice per day. It looked more like he started to pick just for fun as he was not eating them, just picking at it. Maybe he was bored? or just curious. I also lost my beautiful niger trigger and found him one day dry on the floor :( I have no idea why he jumped out. there was nothing in the tank that could possibly attack him, no aggressive fish, but he was very skittish.

Very nice Daniella,... interesting that you do it all without a sump. And not a lot of flow either with just 2 1400 gph Koralias. But can't argue with your success. Very nicely laid out tank, with great colour, variety, and contrasts.

I didn't see your Copperband in your livestock list. What happened to him?

Reef Pilot
06-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Also, I see that you keep your Ca pretty high at 440 - 460. Any reason for that? (just trying to discover some of your secrets:biggrin:)

Gizmoh
06-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Congratulations! Gorgeous tank!

reefwars
06-05-2013, 02:37 PM
well desereved daniella looks beautiful:)

any plans for an upgrade or larger tank in the future ?

if you could change anything what would it be?

one of my fave tanks for sure and congrats:)

kien
06-05-2013, 03:10 PM
An absolutely gorgeous tank! Well done and well deserved TOTM/Q/S/Y. Clearly you know what you are doing. Keep on reefin' on :-)

daniella3d
06-05-2013, 03:26 PM
I try to keep my calcium around 440 because I have a few clams. Not sure if it is needed or not. Also I use Reef Crystal salt which is quite high in calcium and when ever I do a water change having a higher level of calcium help prevent too much swing. Things seem to be going well with this level so far.

I don't have any plan to upgrade to a larger tank because of the room in the house is limited. If I could I would love to have a large FOWLR but that's not something that's going to happen unless I win at the lottery! :)

If I could change something? I would get rid of the common SPS and replace them with rare and exquisite ones. That's what I am doing slowly. I got a red dragon, red planet, bird of paraside, setosa and a few other rare corals to replace my staghorn and my more common SPS. I will add in the future a wolverine, palmer's blue and a few others rare corals.

My future plan on short term is to attempt raising my black ice clownfish eggs. So I am now getting ready for this with a setup to raise the eggs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Hklvpqg8ay4

It's not going to be this batch of eggs because I am not ready for them, but soon :)

Reef Supplies
06-05-2013, 03:35 PM
hey félicitations Danielle!

mseepman
06-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Amazing tank! Really love how you aquascape with the coral...I'm learning this I us no easy task! Congrats on Tank Of The Summer.

fishoholic
06-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Beautiful tank, congrats! Love all the variety of colour in there :biggrin:

thanks everyone :)

I sold my copperband to a friend because he started to attack my clams and corals. He was fine for 2 years, so that was very hard to do since I grew quite attached to it and its great personality.

He had no reason to pick at my clams and corals since I was feeding him like twice per day. It looked more like he started to pick just for fun as he was not eating them, just picking at it. Maybe he was bored? or just curious. I also lost my beautiful niger trigger and found him one day dry on the floor :( I have no idea why he jumped out. there was nothing in the tank that could possibly attack him, no aggressive fish, but he was very skittish.

CBB's seem to like clams, mine picked on the clam I had too. Not sure why but I find Triggers are just as bad for jumping out as wrasses are. I've lost 1 pink tail and 2 niger triggers to the carpet :sad:

Bblinks
06-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Well deserved! congrats!

lastlight
06-05-2013, 04:38 PM
stunning aquascape and coral selection. my eyes dig it!

madkeenreefer
06-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Congratulations Dani , very nice to see your tank featured as TOTM.

H2o2
06-08-2013, 01:13 PM
I have always learned from your input and now i can see why ,congats

Myka
06-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Daniella, you have a great eye for aquascaping! Both of your tanks are very eye-pleasing. Congrats!

reefermadness
06-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Awesome tank. Congrats.

daniella3d
06-08-2013, 01:54 PM
thanks everyone for the kind comments. I don't know if I desserve it but I do my best to keep my reef healthy and happy. :)

Coralgurl
06-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Gorgeous tank girl!! You need to post more pics more often!! Well deserved win!!

Razor
06-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Congrats, great looking tank.

es355lucille
06-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Vous avez un aquarium très bel Danielle !

Ginu
06-29-2013, 02:07 AM
Grats and beautiful tank. Well deserved, do you have a tank journal? It like to read up on it :)

MarieH
08-20-2013, 04:44 PM
This is gorgeous. Congrats. I'm thinking this could work for me too as I don't want to incorporate a sump in my rental appartment.