PDA

View Full Version : Raising mg

Proteus
06-05-2013, 03:41 AM
MG: 1250
CA: 420
KH: 7

Bringing up mg. just want to know how fast I can raise it. I'm using. Seachem advantage mag. It says 50mg a day which I'm doing, but never really trust a sticker.

Proteus
06-05-2013, 04:19 AM
It says 50mg .

50g. Per day 45g total tank volume

fishytime
06-05-2013, 04:58 AM
try one or two of the "reef chemistry calculators" to see if they have the product you are using listed.....they will tell ya the recommended amount to bring your Mg level up....

Proteus
06-05-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm using seachem a calc. Doesn't suggest a daily limit. I'm almost at target. Just don't want to over do it.

daplatapus
06-05-2013, 01:15 PM
The BRS calculator suggests not raising any more than 100 ppm per day. I wouldn't think it would make any difference what product you used to accomplish that.
HAve you tried using this link:
http://www.seachem.com/Library/Calculators.html
Click on the reef version, choose your additive, plug your numbers in and it will tell you exactly how much you need to add for that specific water volume.
I use the BRS one for their additives and it's spot on, love it.

daniella3d
06-05-2013, 02:15 PM
your magnesium is not far from the target, so I would not worry about it.

Some people use Kent magnesium and raise it to 1600 suddenly without any ill effect except on the bryopsis :)

Proteus
06-05-2013, 03:10 PM
The BRS calculator suggests not raising any more than 100 ppm per day. I wouldn't think it would make any difference what product you used to accomplish that.
HAve you tried using this link:
http://www.seachem.com/Library/Calculators.html
Click on the reef version, choose your additive, plug your numbers in and it will tell you exactly how much you need to add for that specific water volume.
I use the BRS one for their additives and it's spot on, love it.

I actually use their app. It's great.

Seems like its been hard raising mg. been dosing since Friday to bring up 50 ppm a day. Ill just bring it up and monitor loss.

Does mg get absorbed into rock at all as other params are spot on

daplatapus
06-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Does mg get absorbed into rock at all as other params are spot on

Not sure if this has been other people's experience, but I did find that when I started dosing Mg, it did take a fair bit to bring it up. But once it was up where I wanted it, it was pretty easy to keep it there.
Once you get your levels where you want them, don't dose for 24 hrs, test again and use that as your start for maintenance dosing.

04V10
06-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I try to target a max of 20ppm per day of increase when I have to do it. However, I just like keeping things a little steady in my system...lol

Proteus
06-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Quite surprised how much it took to raise. About half of a 1.2kg tub. Lol

I'm at 1360 now and will test around 4 pm to see what loss is in 24 hours.
No sure it its related to low mg but my terria del fugo lost some tissue. Should be ok as I still have PE

04V10
06-06-2013, 03:38 PM
I always notice that the color on my red monti kind of gets blah looking when my Mg drops...that's a sign for me to check it..lol

Proteus
06-11-2013, 02:09 AM
I seem to be using 40 ppm mg a day. While alk is 1 dkh and cal about 30-50 ppm a day

Is there a ratio

neoh
06-11-2013, 03:07 AM
when you dose, don't forget that the total water volume is different than the 'for every 70 gallon' rule. You must consider water displacement! If you were to take all your rocks out, then add the water volume of your sump as well, you might get a different number. I'm sure you know that, but - a lot of people forget that part!

What are you using to test mg?

Proteus
06-11-2013, 03:21 AM
I'm using Red Sea. Seems good to me.

I'm use seachem a calculator. So punch I'm my numbers and what is desired and tell me how much to add. I base the calculator on 42 gallons which is what the volume is +\-

04V10
06-11-2013, 12:36 PM
That's a crazy amount to be making up in that small of a volume... I dont know if it's just me, but it seems alot.

I notice in my system, as long as I keep my Mg up at 1320ppm, which I add once every 1.5-2 weeks, the other params dKh and Ca are more stable and don't change that much. However, when my Mg drops to 1280, I notice the dKh dropping hard.

My params are listed below. Note, I do dose seachem reef buffer, and seachem advantage calcium. I use seachem advantage magnesium.

Mg - 1320
dKh - 8.0
Ca - 420-440

I have great growth and coloration utilizing this setup. I also use the red sea alk tester.

Proteus
06-11-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm hoping I find a sweet spot. But it seems seachem a calc may be out. I dosed half of what it recommended and ended up with 1400 ppm

This is from a artical in reef keeping

All magnesium supplements are fairly dilute with respect to magnesium itself, and it often takes surprisingly large amounts of additives to boost magnesium in reef aquaria. For a large aquarium (100 gallons) requiring a substantial boost in magnesium (200 ppm), the amount of supplement may seem incredible (taking, for example, two liters of typical liquid commercial magnesium supplements).

michika
06-11-2013, 04:19 PM
I seem to be using 40 ppm mg a day. While alk is 1 dkh and cal about 30-50 ppm a day

Is there a ratio

There will be, but it will be specific to your tank.

My tank goes through more Mg then dKH and Ca in a given 24 hour period, I attribute most of this to my clams.

And like was previously mentioned I too find that the brightness of reds and pinks in my system are also impacted by low Mg levels.

Proteus
06-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Well the clams may explain it. I had 5 sold two and have three left.