PDA

View Full Version : Used a brass check valve, didn't go well.

Clooney
06-04-2013, 07:11 AM
So... I used a brass check valve without thinking on my tank, it was only in for about 5-7 days at most but I lost all my softies (only type of coral I had), cleaner shrimp and some snails. I've been reading around the Internet and there's a lot of people saying that I need to replace everything because the copper sinks into the glass and all my equipment including the rock and sand. The valve wasn't on for long so I'm wondering am I safe? Will I be ok with cleaning everything and doing many water changes? I can't afford to replace my whole tank.

Cal_stir
06-04-2013, 11:59 AM
you can get a copper absorbing media like Seachem Cuprisorb

Aquattro
06-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Unfortunately if you cot enough copper in there to kill everything, it's likely leached into all your substrate. It won't get in the glass and gear, that can all be cleaned, but whether or not you can re-use the rock and sand, hard to say.
Use some of the media mentioned, then test with a couple of inverts and see if they survive. I wouldn't expect a brass valve to do that much damage in a week, but who knows.

fishytime
06-04-2013, 12:38 PM
was this a tank that had only been running for 5-7 days or you made some changes to the tank and the new check valve was only on for 5-7 days?

Clooney
06-04-2013, 02:25 PM
I just moved everything from my old tank into a new one that I built about 2 weeks ago, The old tank was 2 years old and all I did was move the water, rock and sand into the new tank because they were the same size just different shapes. Tested the parameters cause I thought maybe the tank started to cycle again or something like that but nothing out of the ordinary there. Then last night I was researching brass in aquariums and found out your not supposed to do that. Reason for a check valve was I drilled the hole for the return just below the water line so I was nervous about back flow. I'm going to grab some loc line today to bring it above the line to avoid the need for a valve.

banditpowdercoat
06-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Loc Line will not solve your problem. It is not waterproof and can leak at all the joints. Not sayin it will, but it can.

Clooney
06-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys.

Loc Line will not solve your problem. It is not waterproof and can leak at all the joints. Not sayin it will, but it can.

I'll see if I can find a plastic check valve then, Here's hoping JL has them

jjntm
06-04-2013, 04:48 PM
If you live in abby... just go to a plumbing wholesaler... Andrew sheret is out your way...

Clooney
06-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Ended up getting some cuprisorb, gunna run that for a long period of time and try a invert in a few months and see what happens.

maron6977
06-04-2013, 07:51 PM
I hate to say it but I did a similar thing . About 5 years ago I install a brass gate valve on my return . It took about 3 days & knew something was wrong when my brittle star's body's started exploding . You can recover !!! It'll take time , something to absorb it & water changes .
Good luck