PDA

View Full Version : return pump

jason604
06-02-2013, 11:26 PM
my return pump is 2x stronger than what my external overflow pump can handle so ive been diverting half its flow back into sump which is wasting electricity.. do u guys think a maxi-jet 1200 is enough as a return pump for a 75g tank?

mrhasan
06-02-2013, 11:40 PM
my return pump is 2x stronger than what my external overflow pump can handle so ive been diverting half its flow back into sump which is wasting electricity.. do u guys think a maxi-jet 1200 is enough as a return pump for a 75g tank?

Nop a maxijet 1200 is not enough as any tank's return pump unless its a AIO type small tank (like BC14/28). MJ1200 cannot take the head pressure that is needed for a sump to DT return. For a 75g tank, you will be aiming for something like 600 to 800gph. Which pump are you using?

banditpowdercoat
06-02-2013, 11:48 PM
You can restrict the outlet of a pump, and its current draw acctually drops. Current draw is related to the water flow. More flow, more current. Never restrict the inlet of a pump, always the outlet.

jason604
06-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Nop a maxijet 1200 is not enough as any tank's return pump unless its a AIO type small tank (like BC14/28). MJ1200 cannot take the head pressure that is needed for a sump to DT return. For a 75g tank, you will be aiming for something like 600 to 800gph. Which pump are you using?

im using a 600 gph pump not sure what the brand is cuz the name is scratched off as my dad gave me his extra pump. im using a eshopps 300 hang on overflow and as full pump capacity the overflow cannot handle it.

You can restrict the outlet of a pump, and its current draw acctually drops. Current draw is related to the water flow. More flow, more current. Never restrict the inlet of a pump, always the outlet.

i have tried this as i read that reducing a pump discharge in my textbooks will reduce pwr consumption, but it doesnt say anything about doing so for a permanent amount of time so i was affraid that it might damage the pump in the long run? Can someone confirm/ deny this?

FishyFishy!
06-03-2013, 02:37 PM
I vote buy a new return pump that suits your needs. But if that is not an option, there shouldn't be a problem with cutting back the flow with a valve.

The Maxi-Jet wouldn't even make a trickle in your tank. I had a MJ1200 return on my Fluval Edge nano, it was about 2 ft head back to the tank... and it barely had any flow at all.

Aquattro
06-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Can someone confirm/ deny this?

I've always run my return with a restricted output. My current MAG 12 is probably cut by 30%. This pump has been running like that 5+ years.

Dearth
06-03-2013, 03:01 PM
I've always run my return with a restricted output. My current MAG 12 is probably cut by 30%. This pump has been running like that 5+ years.

+1

Running your pump with reduced outflow actually increases the life of your pump considerably

Never ever restrict the flow in as you can cause major damage to the pump and cause the pump to cavitate

monkE
06-03-2013, 03:51 PM
same here, i've got a gate valve on my return pump to limit it's flow. With any tank that has a herbie drain in their overflow they need to be able to restrict that return pump to keep the over flow water level in the correct place.

mseepman
06-03-2013, 04:15 PM
same here, i've got a gate valve on my return pump to limit it's flow. With any tank that has a herbie drain in their overflow they need to be able to restrict that return pump to keep the over flow water level in the correct place.

Really, I've always controlled herbie's through the gate valve on the main siphon...never on the return.

monkE
06-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Really, I've always controlled herbie's through the gate valve on the main siphon...never on the return.
this was my first herbie setup so maybe i've done something differently. I had to play with both to get that water level stable. i suppose it would depend on the output power of the pump though.

tang daddy
06-03-2013, 04:38 PM
I am running 60% of my quiet one 4000 high head on my 75g and it's never hurt my pump, about 4yrs running.

Like many have said put a valve on it to reduce the flow but make sure you have atleast 2ft after the pump before the valve, also if you have the pump split now you could use it to run other equipment, ie chiller, bio pellets, phosban, a refuge or algae scrubber.... Even use it for WC's.