PDA

View Full Version : Orange Cauliflower Coral

Scavenger
06-11-2004, 08:46 PM
I bought a couple of small rocks for my tank about 2 weeks ago.When I placed them into the reef, a small orange blob fell out of one of the rocks.
I thought it was interesting so I wedged it into a highly visible area. About a week ago, it started to extend. Since then it seems to be at full extention and is about the size of my thumbnail. Searching the internet, I found a picture of a larger specimen and it was labeled as an Orange Cauliflower coral.

My question is, does anyone have exerience with these corals and know what their proper care entails. I find this a very pretty little coral and wish to keep him healthy in my tank.

Quinn
06-11-2004, 08:54 PM
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/nephtheids.htm

Scavenger
06-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Thanks Quinn, that appears to be it. Apparently a hard to keep filter feeder. Well, so far he seems to be enjoying my tank. When he came out of the rock, he as just a blob and now is looking healthy so he must like something in there.

Quinn
06-11-2004, 09:11 PM
I'm actually suprised you would find one as a hitchhiker, my understanding is that they're deep water corals and I think most live rock comes from the surf/tidal zone. But weirder things have happened.

christyf5
06-11-2004, 09:19 PM
I have a couple of blobs of that too. Orange nepthea. I got it as a hitchhiker probably from the same store as you. Mine seems to be holding its own. Its in a rock crevice and isn't getting much light but if I squint real hard I can just about see it.

Christy :)

Scavenger
06-11-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm suprised too. I was told the rock was tonga it's all holey/branchy and this coral is supposed to be from Fiji if I read right. I wonder if he got in there while at the LFS. I almost had a six line wrasse as a hitchhiker from that store, but he came out of the rock when the bag was on the register counter.

christyf5
06-11-2004, 09:25 PM
I'm suprised too. I was told the rock was tonga it's all holey/branchy and this coral is supposed to be from Fiji if I read right. I wonder if he got in there while at the LFS. I almost had a six line wrasse as a hitchhiker from that store, but he came out of the rock when the bag was on the register counter.

Dang eh? :wink:

I don't know where my rock is from. It was one of the few pieces that looked decent and didn't have cyano on it. :razz:

Scavenger
06-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks Christy, that confirms my hitch hiker theory. :lol: I'm sure it's the same store.

christyf5
06-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks Christy, that confirms my hitch hiker theory. :lol: I'm sure it's the same store.

Well considering its the only one in town :razz: