PDA

View Full Version : SPS prevailance

albert_dao
06-11-2004, 05:54 PM
Out of curiousity, what is up with the whole SPS mystique? Everywhere I go, it seems to be the be all, end all of reef keeping.

Why isn't it that, for arguement's sake, LPS or carnations didn't become the widely recognized pinnacle of the hobby?

How come my computer keeps on crashing when I close Explorer windows?

Why?

Quinn
06-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Supposedly harder to keep that LPS, and more colourful. The colourful members of the Nephtheidae family (Dendronephthya spp., Scleronephthya spp., etc.) are, from most reports, impossible to keep, so they don't even enter the picture. I'm not aware of anyone, anywhere, who's experienced any degree of success with them, although some Japanese tanks seem to contain them, and GARF even claimed to be culturing them, but of course GARF has made a lot of claims. :rolleyes: Tell me Gold's avoids Nephtheidaes, please.

In the past I've noted it seems to be a male obsession. Maybe it's Freudian. :lol:

albert_dao
06-11-2004, 06:07 PM
We don't get them in. Well, not since I have been influencing the orders. If they do arrive, it's because those *REMOVED* send us retarded list that mislabel Carnations as something viable such as green kenya tree corals or Capnella sp.

Actually, in light of that all, I HAVE had success with them for roughly eight months or so and actually saw growth. Sadly, school changed the way I was able to work around my tank and it went for two weeks or so without feeding. That was the end of that. They started degenerating and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

There's actually an interesting thread on RC on which I based my whole routine around. Lemme see if I can dig it up.

AJ_77
06-11-2004, 06:25 PM
Albert, you're gonna get slammed for language. You and Doo-e should PM, get it all out...

:biggrin:

albert_dao
06-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Oh, sorry, force of habit induced by my relations with females. :eek:

Aquattro
06-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Please refrain from that "habit". Thank you.