PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices

albert_dao
06-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Okay, the other day I got this silly email about the rising gas prices and how a collective consumer base could help bring them back down.

The whole premise was that if everyone stopped buying gas from the largest oil companies (shell and petro or something), these companies would have to theoretically respond by lowering their prices to regain competitive advantage. This, in turn, would cause a price race resulting in other petroleum suppliers to match price.

This sounds far too simple to work. Anyone see any pitfalls right off the bat that will keep this thing from flying? I'm really skeptical about the whole idea, thought I really don't have any definitive reason why. On the other hand, I've talked to some people who think it's the best thing to happen since sliced bread.

Input? Anyone get this email?

Scavenger
06-11-2004, 05:55 PM
I heard this one and I myself can't see it flying.

If you boycott the large companies, well you just took 80% ish of the service stations off line and have 100% of drivers still looking for gas.
This would mean those long line ups we remember in the gas wars of the 1980's and early 90's.

So is Joe Blow consumer gonna sit for an hour in line to get gas at $1.00 a liter when he is on a busy schedule??

I don't think so.

Not enough people would go with this to make it work

Just my opinion

Quinn
06-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Best idea since sliced bread? This email has been circulating since before sliced bread. :lol:

Son Of Skyline
06-11-2004, 07:05 PM
Best idea since sliced bread? This email has been circulating since before sliced bread. :lol:

:lol:

So true...so true...

albert_dao
06-11-2004, 07:18 PM
... You guys make me feel so outdated and un-hip.

Quinn
06-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Don't feel bad, it's just that we're so cutting-edge. Didn't you know that Canreefers are the hippest people on the planet? Even our venerable Bob is up on terms like "homie" and "sick".

AJ_77
06-11-2004, 08:01 PM
We have hip consultants, to keep us hip...

Quinn is the arbiter of hip, BTW...

:mrgreen:

Quinn
06-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Alan will never make fun of my hat again. :razz:

Cap'n
06-11-2004, 11:51 PM
Don't feel bad, it's just that we're so cutting-edge. Didn't you know that Canreefers are the hippest people on the planet? Even our venerable Bob is up on terms like "homie" and "sick".

First time I laughed out loud reading this forum!

or I should say... :lol: