PDA

View Full Version : W.T.B. Lifereef Overflow Box

Deep Blue Sea
05-30-2013, 11:25 PM
I am looking for anyone selling a lifereef overflow box. I only need the standard single tube, but I will consider anything by this name that you might have to sell. Please, this is the only piece that is hanging me up from completing my much needed and very over due sump/refugium build and I really want to complete this and have it up and running.

micah
05-31-2013, 06:50 PM
I have a brand new one, never opened. It turns out that i did not need it.

Send me a pm so we can discuss.

Micah

Deep Blue Sea
06-03-2013, 06:29 PM
I will try one more time to try to get this box from here and then I will have no other choice than to buy it direct from the lifereef site and have it ship from the U.S. I had a couple of opportunities from here that we were not able to reach agreements on, but no problem with that. I will soon just choose to use my other options and still try to keep my sump/refugium build and installation in a reasonable time line.

Thanks, D.B.S.

gobytron
06-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Life Reefs are great but there are a lot of knock offs that work just as well.

Have used lifereef and this brand and couldn't say their was much of a difference..

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=aq-aqso01

gobytron
06-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Further to this...
I built my own "lifereef" style overflow and it works perfectly...

I use PVC for the u-tube and was surprised how well this works...

Deep Blue Sea
06-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Thanks very much for the input. I have heard this one recommended before and I was pretty concerned that it might not be accurate advice, but I am hearing it more frequently and now you have given me personal use and experience with both of those overflows. I guess you can't get better input than someone's personal experience about something can you. I will take another look at that and really consider this because not only is this a cheaper option but the shipping is a real shocker and it takes so long. If I add another item or two at J & L I can get the shipping free and that alone is worth the look. Thanks again for the input and advice.

kole
06-03-2013, 11:38 PM
I've used the Eshoppes and the Lifereef overflows and haven't had an issue with either one.

Deep Blue Sea
06-04-2013, 12:07 AM
I did see the eshopps ones and was wondering about them since they did look so close to the lifereef.

So would it be fair to say that the lifereef would be over rated when compared to some of the copies?

I know they are the original, but sometimes the knock offs manage to take a good idea and make it better.

I am not saying this is the case, but I am asking that because I have no experience with any of them and I just need to know where to go with this.

I do plan at some point to actually go the more logical way of the drilled, but it just is not the option I can take just now.

I do want to now give some of the copies a closer look after some of these experiences before I shell out three times as much when shipping is taken into it all.

mrhasan
06-04-2013, 12:11 AM
I am no expert on HOB overflow boxes but the trick with lifereef is the U-tube and I think any HOB with u-tube will have the same principle.

kole
06-04-2013, 12:52 AM
Also there doesn't seem to be any difference in the quality of both units. Which ever one you get buy an extra u tube just in case you happen to drop the one that comes with the box. Are you going to be using flex hose or pvc pipe? The LIfereef I have has a barbed bulkhead for flex hose. The Eshoppes has a bulkhead that you glue pvc pipe inside. May help with your decision depending on your installation.

Deep Blue Sea
06-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks again to everyone for all the help and advice, it really is appreciated and valuable.

For mrhasan, yes I did hear that the U-Tube is the secret to their success and the lifereef in particular has something to do with the length being the reason for the very successful restart they enjoy.

For kole, I didn't think about that too much simply because I don't know enough to have taken that into consideration, but I would have automatically gone the flex hose route mostly because I have quite a bit of it already and it's brand new left over from buying too much for a filstar canister filter that I used to have and use, but no longer due to it being the nitrate factory everyone said it to be.

I think my mind is made up and it will be the Aqueon model 110 with the choice being so easy because J&L does not have the eshopps in a large enough size so nothing to weigh with that decision.

I am going to get some other items there as well and include a friend with his purchase so the shipping will definitely be free which is a very big incentive as well.

mrhasan
06-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks again to everyone for all the help and advice, it really is appreciated and valuable.

For mrhasan, yes I did hear that the U-Tube is the secret to their success and the lifereef in particular has something to do with the length being the reason for the very successful restart they enjoy.

For kole, I didn't think about that too much simply because I don't know enough to have taken that into consideration, but I would have automatically gone the flex hose route mostly because I have quite a bit of it already and it's brand new left over from buying too much for a filstar canister filter that I used to have and use, but no longer due to it being the nitrate factory everyone said it to be.

I think my mind is made up and it will be the Aqueon model 110 with the choice being so easy because J&L does not have the eshopps in a large enough size so nothing to weigh with that decision.

I am going to get some other items there as well and include a friend with his purchase so the shipping will definitely be free which is a very big incentive as well.

Don't forget to do a review :)

Deep Blue Sea
06-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Yes mrhasan I will provide my feelings as soon as I can get this all complete and have some input to share, maybe a week or two after it arrives I hope.

Although it will be very bias since I don't have anything to compare it with, but I will be able to tell if it works for me and does or doesn't provide me with headache or concern and I will share either of those so I might help someone else.