PDA

View Full Version : porcelain crabs

Samw
08-20-2002, 02:23 AM
Anyone got a porcelain crab? I've been wanting one for a while. Don't know where I can get one locally. Ideas?

[ 19 August 2002, 22:24: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Mak
08-20-2002, 02:31 AM
I don't have one but there were 2 or 3 of them for sale out here in Abby a couple weeks ago for like $10. I can call tommorow if you would like?

Samw
08-20-2002, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the offer. My car is out of commission right now so I won't be able to head out there anytime soon. I don't mind finding out if they stock them regularly and what price they go for. Thanks Mak.

EmilyB
08-20-2002, 04:00 AM
They are extremely cool :cool: I've had mine for over a year now. It is currently residing in the mouth of the LTA...

Dorkel Marine 1
08-20-2002, 05:25 PM
I'm looking to enter a crab into my 30 gal. tank. Do any of you know where I could get some info on crabs of the small variety. So far I've come up with the emerald crab as a viable choice to reside in a 30 gal. tank.I have two 30 gal. tanks so maybe the porcelain is a choice I could consider also. Thanx in advance.
Happy reefin
George Muller

[ 20 August 2002, 13:34: Message edited by: Dorkel Marine 1 ]

Mak
08-20-2002, 10:11 PM
Hey Sam, yeah the guy does keep them in stock regularly and they are $8.99 and he does have one in stock and more are on the way. Maybe I'll grab a couple and put one in my Ref for you.

Emily, so these guys are pretty hardy if they are fed correctly?

DM1, Don't have much info but Boxer crabs are great additions to any Reef and they will not harm a thing. I think I still have 3. Porcelain/Anenome Crabs should be fine too, just make sure they are fed well. Don't Emeralds get quite large? Wouldn't they clear any Algae outta the 30g in no time? and then move on to Corals :eek: .

Try this Crab link (http://forum.aquariumhobbyist.com/marinecrabs/) , don't know if its good or not.

[ 20 August 2002, 18:49: Message edited by: MAK ]

EmilyB
08-20-2002, 10:50 PM
The porcelain mostly filter feeds, with his little "fans" - very cool. I've seen him take Hikari crab pellets. I suspect he eats anemone crab, since he's sitting right there....yuck..

Don't know how they would fare with other crabs in the tank, I don't have any others really.

Samw
08-20-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by MAK:
Hey Sam, yeah the guy does keep them in stock regularly and they are $8.99 and he does have one in stock and more are on the way. Maybe I'll grab a couple and put one in my Ref for you.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Mak.

Thanks for getting that info for me. This is Animal House right? I'll put it on my list of things to do when I get my car back from the shop.

Don't worry about keeping one for me though as I want to be able to see what they look like when I buy it. I heard that they come in many different shapes and colors.

Mak
08-21-2002, 01:37 AM
No this was at Petlovers. They get some pretty cool stuff in sometimes, Like a bright blue Niger Trigger and a :eek: Horse Conch :eek: . These are the ones they had Porcelain/Anenome Crab (http://www.kasson.com/Solomons98/crab44.htm) . Haha you want one of the cool coloured morphs that were just recently on RC...yeah I'm line for one of those too. I'll keep an eye out http://reefcentral.com/vbulletin/images/Smilies/freak5.gif for you out here ;) .

[ 20 August 2002, 21:50: Message edited by: MAK ]

Mak
08-21-2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by EmilyB:
I suspect he eats anemone crab, since he's sitting right there....yuck..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Um... is that supposed to be crab or crap? :confused: tongue.gif :D

EmilyB
08-21-2002, 03:12 AM
Um... is that supposed to be crab or crap? :confused: tongue.gif :D <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Crap....d'oh...

[ 20 August 2002, 23:14: Message edited by: EmilyB ]

Samw
08-21-2002, 01:09 PM
Thanks Mak. I haven't heard about Petlovers before. I'll look them up.

BC_Grl
08-21-2002, 10:05 PM
Hey Sam, if you talk to Rob at Pet Lovers... tell him Jeanna says HI!! Rob's store resides in the WEST OAKS Mall. That is on South Fraser Way before SEVEN OAKS Mall (if you are going East).
I think the road GLADWIN is between them (if that helps).

Mak
08-21-2002, 10:48 PM
Hey Sam,

Give me a call when you come down, unless your good at bargaining with the prices :D . You will find you can usually get a pretty SWEET deal. Like I got some awesome Polyps redish yellow ones ( these were in his diplay tank and I had to kinda work to get them...LOL ), blue ones and yellowish green ones on the same rock for about $30-$35 each with about 150-200 Polyps ( hehehe sorry Bob tongue.gif ).

[ 22 August 2002, 00:00: Message edited by: MAK ]

Dorkel Marine 1
08-22-2002, 02:11 AM
Thank-you mak for the crab link. did find some other websites to check out. Yes the emerald does get big, according to some exasperated reefers who found out they liked coraline algae and kept getting bigger. So thanx. Emeralds off my list. Do you happen to know where you can pick-up these boxer crabs. I don't have anemomes to feed porcelin crabs anenome crap. Say that five times. What a mouthful. Yuck.
Happy reefin George Muller

Mak
08-22-2002, 03:49 AM
DM1, try King Ed's. They should be able to get them in if they don't have them in stock. I saw them once at Petland in Langley. I don't think there safe with Blue Legged Hermits. I've seen BLHC's try to chase them down. My BLHC's have been banished to my Sump/Refugium :D .

BTW, I don't think an Anenome is a must for the Porcelains/Anenome Crab's. I'll guess I'll do some reading tommorow.

[ 21 August 2002, 23:54: Message edited by: MAK ]

aquamansilver
08-22-2002, 01:01 PM
Mak, Hummmm... I just bought somewhat yellow polyps (small) from J&L for $30 with 20-25 (max) polyps on the rock!!! no comment! :mad:

Bob I
08-22-2002, 01:06 PM
Aquamansilver, let us know how that goes. My last Yellow Polyps came from SWC. There were about 12 on the rock, and soon there were no more. :(

Samw
08-22-2002, 01:06 PM
Like this Aquaman? Got mine for $19. It seems LFS prices are getting more competitive.

YELLOW POLYPS PIC (http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/2002-08.Album/yellowpolyps.jpg)

[ 22 August 2002, 09:17: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Samw
08-22-2002, 01:09 PM
Hey Sam,

Give me a call when you come down, unless your good at bargaining with the prices :D . You will find you can usually get a pretty SWEET deal. Like I got some awesome Polyps redish yellow ones ( these were in his diplay tank and I had to kinda work to get them...LOL ), blue ones and yellowish green ones on the same rock for about $30-$35 each with about 150-200 Polyps ( hehehe sorry Bob tongue.gif ).<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Originally posted by BC_Grl:
Hey Sam, if you talk to Rob at Pet Lovers... tell him Jeanna says HI!! Rob's store resides in the WEST OAKS Mall. That is on South Fraser Way before SEVEN OAKS Mall (if you are going East).
I think the road GLADWIN is between them (if that helps).<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great deals Mak. I'll keep you in mind next time I'm in the mood for some wheeling and dealing. Thanks.

Jeanna, sure thing. I guess you 2 know each other well?

[ 22 August 2002, 09:17: Message edited by: Sam W ]

aquamansilver
08-22-2002, 02:48 PM
Sam, worst! much worst! there must be 5 yellows and the rest are scatered on a 4x1.5inch rock... Livestock online= never again for me.

christyf5
08-22-2002, 03:19 PM
Aquamansilver
If you feed your polyps (i forget if they're the yellow ones or not) their population will double within a couple of months easy. I can't believe how much faster they grow if you feed them.

Christy smile.gif

Mak
08-22-2002, 08:43 PM
Sorry Guys and Gals but I just can't figure out why people like these yellow polyps so much? :confused: ... Hmm, maybe I'll have to get some someday.

BTW I would not purchase any Corals or Fish online without seeing a picture first. Well maybe some SPS frags ;) .

Oh yeah Sam, Rob is the guy that sounds like Sean Connery :D .

BC_Grl
08-23-2002, 12:43 AM
MAK ROTFLOL Sean Connery?? Rob doesn't sound like him at all- he has a different accent. And sure as heck doesn't look like him.

SAM Yeah, I know him. I used to be friends with him, but haven't seen him for over 7 yrs now. One day I'll go back to Abbotsford.

ruck'n'reefer
08-23-2002, 01:04 AM
I just bought 2 porcelain crabs fromr Rob at Pet Lovers tonite. tongue.gif They are white with red spots. Quite cute. One is in my fungia (LPS), the other likes the overflow.
I also got 2 anemone shrimp.
Rob is Dutch not Scottish! The accents are totally different!!! :D :D
Jeanna, I'll tell him you sais hi, tomorrow.

Mak
08-23-2002, 01:31 AM
LMAO http://reefcentral.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/roflmao.gif , I know he's not Scottish tongue.gif . I think his accent rocks. But seriously, don't ask him to "Beam you up!!!". J/K :D ;) .

BTW, R'N'R how's that Sixline coming along...ROFLMAO :rolleyes: .

[ 22 August 2002, 21:57: Message edited by: MAK ]