PDA

View Full Version : Which skimmer should I buy?

mrhasan
05-28-2013, 04:31 AM
Alright so my tank STAYS :D :D :D And that means I need to buy a new skimmer. Currently, I am stuck between CAD light pipeless (love the concept) and Bubble Magus curve 5. My tank has around 70 gallon of total water volume and those of you who knows me, I love heavy bioload. My budget is $200. Suggestions please :D

naesco
05-28-2013, 04:39 AM
Alright so my tank STAYS :D :D :D And that means I need to buy a new skimmer. Currently, I am stuck between CAD light pipeless (love the concept) and Bubble Magus curve 5. My tank has around 70 gallon of total water volume and those of you who knows me, I love heavy bioload. My budget is $200. Suggestions please :D

You love heavy bio load??
I have read your threads. Have you not learned anything?
All reefers have a responsibility to provide the optimum conditions for the fish, coral and inverts they remove from the oceans. I hope you have learned from your mistakes, take care and go sloooooow. Please be patient.

mrhasan
05-28-2013, 04:41 AM
You love heavy bio load??
I have read your threads. Have you not learned anything?
All reefers have a responsibility to provide the optimum conditions for the fish, coral and inverts they remove from the oceans. I hope you have learned from your mistakes, take care and go sloooooow. Please be patient.

I should have been clear. I didn't mean that I am going to load the heavy bioload now or any time soon. I will definitely go slow :) But as tank matured, it will have heavy bioload. But just don't want to get an under performing skimmer which will be inadequate over time and hence I used "love heavy bioload" ;)

The Codfather
05-28-2013, 04:42 AM
Take the plunge and spend the extra cash, you'll not regret this buy. I went to a bubble king a few years ago and would never go back.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97767
It may be a bit large, but once stocked and full, I'm sure it will be fine.
Just my thought though.
HTH,
Bob

mrhasan
05-28-2013, 04:43 AM
Take the plunge and spend the extra cash, you'll not regret this buy. I went to a bubble king a few years ago and would never go back.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97767
It may be a bit large, but once stocked and full, I'm sure it will be fine.
Just my thought though.
HTH,
Bob

Nothing beats bubble king thats for sure but $500? :O That would be way too much for me :sad:

WarDog
05-28-2013, 04:45 AM
Do your livestock a favour and buy a great skimmer!

mrhasan
05-28-2013, 04:45 AM
Do your livestock a favour and buy a great skimmer!

I thought bubble magus are considered as great skimmers :neutral: even cad lights have very good reps. But I may be wrong.

The Codfather
05-28-2013, 04:48 AM
Nothing beats bubble king thats for sure but $500? :O That would be way too much for me :sad:

For $500, ya. This is a skimmer that would not have to be upgraded for that size of system. It's less than 1/2 price.

naesco
05-28-2013, 04:48 AM
[QUOTE=mrhasan;821159]I should have been clear. I didn't mean that I am going to load the heavy bioload now or any time soon. I will definitely go slow :) But as tank matured, it will have heavy bioload. But just don't want to get an under performing skimmer which will be inadequate over time and hence I used "love heavy bioload" ;)[/QUOT

That's Better. Good to read that post
Sorry I can't recommend one for you.

mrhasan
05-28-2013, 04:49 AM
For $500, ya. This is a skimmer that would not have to be upgraded for that size of system. It's less than 1/2 price.

That's for sure!

mike31154
05-28-2013, 04:56 AM
If you like it quiet, get yourself a good sized acrylic tube, a small pump, assorted tubing, hoses & fittings, a couple of wooden air diffusers & a good quality air pump. There have been some recent studies that show there's not a huge difference in the amount of organics removed by a high priced skimmer vs an old school diy counter current wooden air stone job. Provided the skimmer is sized reasonably close to what your tank needs, the difference in skimmer technology will be neglibible. Main factors to effective skimming are bubbles as small as possible & maximum contact time between bubbles & water. A cone, bubble plate or recirculating the water for longer contact time is not going to make a huge difference. A tall tube for maximum contact time & a couple of wooden air stones will work as well as anything out there & you'll use a lot less energy & produce much less noise.

spit.fire
05-28-2013, 05:02 AM
Get an omega 150

chef
05-28-2013, 05:12 AM
+1 on the omega

FishyFishy!
05-28-2013, 02:20 PM
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Bubble-Magus-Curve-5-Cone-Skimmer.html

Bubble Magus Curve 5 for the money.

Proteus
05-28-2013, 03:09 PM
I've been looking into this one.

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/05/22/aquamaxx-cones-protein-skimmer/

mrhasan
05-28-2013, 03:19 PM

That thing looks sleek. But don't think its gonna make its way into Canadian market any time soon.

Dearth
05-28-2013, 03:20 PM
I just bought the Cadlight skimmer I wanted a Reef octopus but it was out of my current budget and Cadlight skimmers are considerably cheaper and fit into my budget.

If it doesn't work as well as I like I can always ask Santa for the skimmer I would like:biggrin:

albert_dao
05-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Omega one-fiddy...

mrhasan
05-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Omega one-fiddy...

1. JL is back ordered
2. Expensiveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

denny_CC
05-28-2013, 03:33 PM
1. JL is back ordered

i have a vertex omega in stock raied and also a curve5 too.

you wont get a omega for under $200 but you will get a curve5.....well barely lol

my choice is curve since your budget is $200 but id throw more and go for the omega.

mrhasan
05-28-2013, 03:35 PM
i have a vertex omega in stock raied and also a curve5 too.

you wont get a omega for under $200 but you will get a curve5.....well barely lol

my choice is curve since your budget is $200 but id throw more and go for the omega.

Well omega is literally double to that of curve. Better skimmer: definitely but does it worth the money compared to the performance of magus?

albert_dao
05-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Well omega is literally double to that of curve. Better skimmer: definitely but does it worth the money compared to the performance of magus?

Yes. Performance isn't everything. Being able to sleep at night know you're awesome is. The Omega will definitely contribute to that. The BM will probably make you wonder if you should have tried your hand at stamp collecting instead of fish. True story.

Proteus
05-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Or you can wait till the omega 135 is out. This summer. That's what I plan on doing.

denny_CC
05-28-2013, 03:53 PM

hence the old saying you get what you pay for , for a $200 range the bubble magus will do fine , but if you have a larger budget youll get a better quality skimmer(most times anyways lol) keep in mind the footprint on the omega is pretty big for a small skimmer at 11" x 11" while the curve is just under 8" x 8"

skimmers and lights should be budgeted and saved for and not rushed into buying IMO , as their resale isnt close to what youd pay new and having a skimmer that doesnt perform only means selling it for less than you paid and adding more of your own money for the skimmer you should have gotten the first time;)

over the omega id go with a BK or something dc like the diablos if budget or space isnt a factor;)

mrhasan
05-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Yes. Performance isn't everything. Being able to sleep at night know you're awesome is. The Omega will definitely contribute to that. The BM will probably make you wonder if you should have tried your hand at stamp collecting instead of fish. True story.

Is BM louder than vextex in80? I definitely don't want a rattling gun in my room!!!! :twised:

Or you can wait till the omega 135 is out. This summer. That's what I plan on doing.

Running my tank without a skimmer would mean a disaster for my SPS. Browned sticks!!!

hence the old saying you get what you pay for , for a $200 range the bubble magus will do fine , but if you have a larger budget youll get a better quality skimmer(most times anyways lol) keep in mind the footprint on the omega is pretty big for a small skimmer at 11" x 11" while the curve is just under 8" x 8"

skimmers and lights should be budgeted and saved for and not rushed into buying IMO , as their resale isnt close to what youd pay new and having a skimmer that doesnt perform only means selling it for less than you paid and adding more of your own money for the skimmer you should have gotten the first time;)

over the omega id go with a BK or something dc like the diablos if budget or space isnt a factor;)

Space isint much of a concern as long as one of the sides is within 11" since I don't have any baffle. Can you please PM me some of the prices of the suitable skimmers? And I will see you today evening (if you are in store :razz:)

Proteus
05-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Yeah footprint is big on the omega 150. The 135 the pump is in the body

rhody605
05-28-2013, 04:02 PM
For heavy bio load a better skimmer is a must IMHO. I got a csc-150. Same price as an omega and I think it performs as good or better in a smaller footprint. Plus massive collection cup.

Spend the extra $180 and get a better suited skimmer to your long term plan of heavy bioload.

Side note. Have been told bubble magus skimmers take a very long time to break in.

Son Of Skyline
05-28-2013, 04:12 PM
I used a bubble magus bm160 skimmer on a 70 gal and it worked well. The aquabee pump it came with was a good pump. Paid less than $200. I then upgraded to a PM Bullet 2 on a mag12 and it also works well. You can get that combo used for around $200-250. I upgraded because I used a bullet before and want to use it on a bigger tank some day, but the BM would be perfect for a 70. My tank is an sps tank with 8 fish of various sizes.

I don't think that you need to spend big bucks for a skimmer and I don't believe that you absolutely "get what you pay for" with all skimmers. Many expensive skimmers just seem way overpriced for what they are. Acrylic and a pump.

FishyFishy!
05-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Well some people don't have the extra money to blow on a more expensive skimmer, so people should truely stop recommending skimmers double the price of the OP's budget.

For your $200 budget... go with the Curve 5.

I had a Curve 7, and it did not take long to break in after a vinegar soak, and it pulled lots of goop out right away. It was also almost dead silent, contrary to other posters comments... who I really don't think have ever owned a new Curve skimmer.

Only reason I sold mine was because I upgraded to a larger tank. Otherwise it was a great skimmer for the money.

reeferfulton
05-28-2013, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=denny@conceptaquatics;821281]hence the old saying you get what you pay for , for a $200 range the bubble magus will do fine , but if you have a larger budget youll get a better quality skimmer(most times anyways lol) keep in mind the footprint on the omega is pretty big for a small skimmer at 11" x 11" while the curve is just under 8" x 8"

QUOTE]

the omega 150 footprint is 11x8.5 .. so its only really a little bit bigger

reef-keeper
05-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Where can you pick up a BubbleKing for $500.00? I paid $1000.00 for my mini 180.

mrhasan
05-28-2013, 04:53 PM
I used a bubble magus bm160 skimmer on a 70 gal and it worked well. The aquabee pump it came with was a good pump. Paid less than $200. I then upgraded to a PM Bullet 2 on a mag12 and it also works well. You can get that combo used for around $200-250. I upgraded because I used a bullet before and want to use it on a bigger tank some day, but the BM would be perfect for a 70. My tank is an sps tank with 8 fish of various sizes.

I don't think that you need to spend big bucks for a skimmer and I don't believe that you absolutely "get what you pay for" with all skimmers. Many expensive skimmers just seem way overpriced for what they are. Acrylic and a pump.

Thanks for letting me know about the PM bullet 2. Didn't know the name till I googled it. I severely lack ideas about skimmers!

Well some people don't have the extra money to blow on a more expensive skimmer, so people should truely stop recommending skimmers double the price of the OP's budget.

For your $200 budget... go with the Curve 5.

I had a Curve 7, and it did not take long to break in after a vinegar soak, and it pulled lots of goop out right away. It was also almost dead silent, contrary to other posters comments... who I really don't think have ever owned a new Curve skimmer.

Only reason I sold mine was because I upgraded to a larger tank. Otherwise it was a great skimmer for the money.

Thanks Mike. Yah there are times where the budget is the limiting factor. Being an international student, I still try to accommodate the best I can get but its not always possible to get the best of the best. :(

Where can you pick up a BubbleKing for $500.00? I paid $1000.00 for my mini 180.

I was referring to the skimmer which is being sold over here ;P

denny_CC
05-28-2013, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=denny@conceptaquatics;821281]hence the old saying you get what you pay for , for a $200 range the bubble magus will do fine , but if you have a larger budget youll get a better quality skimmer(most times anyways lol) keep in mind the footprint on the omega is pretty big for a small skimmer at 11" x 11" while the curve is just under 8" x 8"

QUOTE]

the omega 150 footprint is 11x8.5 .. so its only really a little bit bigger

no its closer to 11 x 11 , its 11 x 9.5 tight and thats with your input tight against the glass which you dont want.

heres a few pics i snapped out of the box on a 11 x 11 piece of plywwod.

on the wood:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/concept%20products%20and%20dry%20goods/IMG5059_zps4c155e61.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/user/reefwars/media/concept%20products%20and%20dry%20goods/IMG5059_zps4c155e61.jpg.html)

with a box behind to flush the plumbing up like glass would:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/concept%20products%20and%20dry%20goods/IMG5060_zps5cbf9b03.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/user/reefwars/media/concept%20products%20and%20dry%20goods/IMG5060_zps5cbf9b03.jpg.html)

break out the ol tape in front and its 1 1/2" left of space to glass from the input of the pump , there needs to be some space there in order for the pump to work properly and not get restricted:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/concept%20products%20and%20dry%20goods/IMG5061_zpse6623ac0.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/user/reefwars/media/concept%20products%20and%20dry%20goods/IMG5061_zpse6623ac0.jpg.html)

full shot:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/concept%20products%20and%20dry%20goods/IMG5062_zpsb19210c9.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/user/reefwars/media/concept%20products%20and%20dry%20goods/IMG5062_zpsb19210c9.jpg.html)

every site i see as well has them at 11 x 11

hope this helps.

raied heres our prices on both skimmers:

vertex omega: $389.95 + tax

bubble magus curve 5 : $199.00 + tax

cheers

denny

mrhasan
05-28-2013, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=reeferfulton;821288]

raied heres our prices on both skimmers:

vertex omega: $389.95 + tax

bubble magus curve 5 : $199.00 + tax

cheers

denny

Thanks Denny. See ya today evening at Concept :)

spit.fire
05-28-2013, 05:37 PM
1. JL is back ordered

1. Concept
2. Cheap compared to other skimmers that perform as good

asylumdown
05-28-2013, 07:25 PM
IMO when people talk about what makes a skimmer 'better' or 'worth the price', the question isn't really about how good it is at removing DOC. I'd suspect that the differences in efficiency between similarly gallon rated units are fractional, and most certainly do not warrant hundreds of dollars in difference in price. What does warrant hundred dollar differences in price is everything else that makes a skimmer worth having - how finicky is it, how easy to clean, how loud it is, does it fit in the space you've got, how much power does it draw, how likely is it to go nuts and overflow, how often do you need to adjust it, what other bells and whistles does it have to make your life easier etc. etc. etc.

I've had everything from a Coralife Overflow Special all the way up to a Deltec SC2560, and while I can't say a single thing about which one was better at removing organic gunk (they all made plenty of skimmate), the "ARE YOU F*&$ING KIDDING ME?!" expensive Deltec is the least fickle piece of tank equipment I've ever had. It's got such a fine degree of control, and is so completely rock solid in the way it behaves that to me was worth the extra money. As was mentioned, if your only goal is to remove DOC, then all you need is some PVC pipes and a wooden air stone. If you want a piece of equipment that is a pleasure to work with and always behaves as expected, you start adding zeros.

I'd be looking for the best user reviews that talk about what it's like to own a particular model, not how much skimmate people subjectively think theirs is making. I'm sure some less expensive models are just as good in that regard.

mrhasan
05-28-2013, 07:29 PM
IMO when people talk about what makes a skimmer 'better' or 'worth the price', the question isn't really about how good it is at removing DOC. I'd suspect that the differences in efficiency between similarly gallon rated units are fractional, and most certainly do not warrant hundreds of dollars in difference in price. What does warrant hundred dollar differences in price is everything else that makes a skimmer worth having - how finicky is it, how easy to clean, how loud it is, does it fit in the space you've got, how much power does it draw, how likely is it to go nuts and overflow, how often do you need to adjust it, what other bells and whistles does it have to make your life easier etc. etc. etc.

I've had everything from a Coralife Overflow Special all the way up to a Deltec SC2560, and while I can't say a single thing about which one was better at removing organic gunk (they all made plenty of skimmate), the "ARE YOU F*&$ING KIDDING ME?!" expensive Deltec is the least fickle piece of tank equipment I've ever had. It's got such a fine degree of control, and is so completely rock solid in the way it behaves that to me was worth the extra money. As was mentioned, if your only goal is to remove DOC, then all you need is some PVC pipes and a wooden air stone. If you want a piece of equipment that is a pleasure to work with and always behaves as expected, you start adding zeros.

I'd be looking for the best user reviews that talk about what it's like to own a particular model, not how much skimmate people subjectively think theirs is making. I'm sure some less expensive models are just as good in that regard.

You always hit the sweet spot of any argument ;) :D

Seriak
05-28-2013, 07:42 PM
How about a used Reef Octopus 1000 SSS? :)

mrhasan
05-28-2013, 07:44 PM

No used stuff is going in or around my tank anymore (electrical equipment) even if I have to get something that won't perform as good. I just have too many bad lucks with used equipment :P

FishyFishy!
05-28-2013, 07:45 PM
You always hit the sweet spot of any argument ;) :D

LOL, yeah the sweet spot... take out a second mortgage to buy a skimmer!!!!

I think all of us in this hobby would prefer that every piece of our equipment had three zero's after it, but thats not reality for the majority unfortunately.

I myself, don't make a ton of money. This hobby is so expensive, that the only option sometimes is used or cheaper equipment. And while I would love to have deltec this, or bubble king that..... it just isn't going to happen (yet).

I think that we can all agree that you usually get what you pay for in this hobby. But when the poster asks for recommendations on a skimmer for a budget.... I don't think that everyones answer should be "just buy a bubble king". Just dosn't make any sense. lol.

^^^ Well said Adam!

mrhasan
05-28-2013, 07:47 PM
LOL, yeah the sweet spot... take out a second mortgage to buy a skimmer!!!!

I think all of us in this hobby would prefer that every piece of our equipment had three zero's after it, but thats not reality for the majority unfortunately.

I myself, don't make a ton of money. This hobby is so expensive, that the only option sometimes is used or cheaper equipment. And while I would love to have deltec this, or bubble king that..... it just isn't going to happen (yet).

I think that we can all agree that you usually get what you pay for in this hobby. But when the poster asks for recommendations on a skimmer for a budget.... I don't think that everyones answer should be "just buy a bubble king". Just dosn't make any sense. lol.

Yah :P If everything ended with "just buy a bubble king", other skimmers would not be in the market.

FishyFishy!
05-28-2013, 08:02 PM

If you have one for sale... PM me lol

Reef Supplies
05-28-2013, 09:00 PM
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Bubble-Magus-Curve-5-Cone-Skimmer.html

Bubble Magus Curve 5 for the money.

Agreed!

That thing looks sleek. But don't think its gonna make its way into Canadian market any time soon.

They will be here next week ;-)

mrhasan
05-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Have pulled the trigger and instead of getting curve 5, I bought a curve 7. Will post a review thread after dinner (me hungry :mrgreen:)

denny_CC
05-29-2013, 12:51 AM
Have pulled the trigger and instead of getting curve 5, I bought a curve 7. Will post a review thread after dinner (me hungry :mrgreen:)

good choice buddy;)

mrhasan
05-29-2013, 12:51 AM
good choice buddy;)

Good that you didn't have the curve 5 in stock ;)